No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Early Coin-ops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding galaga, I remember the fire button being hammered in the arcade when trying to get a perfect 40 in the challenging stages. Some of us were nearly kicked out of the arcade several times!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      Regarding galaga, I remember the fire button being hammered in the arcade when trying to get a perfect 40 in the challenging stages. Some of us were nearly kicked out of the arcade several times!
      Same.

I was so astonished to read that somebody loved Galaxians but found Galaga boring that I had to check to make sure I hadn't muddled the names up.

I hadn't.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

As I said before, Asteroids and Tempest should’ve made the list too.

I’m thinking maybe also Star Wars and Frogger. Hmmm... that’s got me thinking... how about for a future thread we look at the best vector graphics game? Battle zone, Tempest, Asteroids, Star Wars and, one of my favourites at Arcade Club, Star Castle. Just love that phosphor glow, and a case where you really cannot beat playing on original hardware.
        I like the Arena threads to feature 4 or 6 games, so if a game you like isn't featured, it will probably can be included in another Arena at some point. I think a "vector" games battle is a great idea, so I'll put one together sometime soon.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 05:01.

Comment

Difficult choices... but have to go with Robotron. If Tempest and/or Star Wars was in the list, it would be practically impossible to decide!
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            Your parents have/had an arcade?! Wow, you lucky git!

As an aside when I see your username I sometimes think you’re Jazzfunk, but then I notice that you don’t mention things like vulvas or sensimilia in your posts and remember you’re not the same person.
            Yeah when I was around 10 they had a small arcade attached to a shop.

Comment

[MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6619]Marius[/MENTION] hard at work:

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                Same.

I was so astonished to read that somebody loved Galaxians but found Galaga boring that I had to check to make sure I hadn't muddled the names up.

I hadn't.
                That's because if you are hitting the button so hard/frequent to hit a trillion enemies then there is no 'skill' involved, so becomes boring - for me.

Galaxian may be slower but in my opinion more actual skill involved once you 'get' the reward/punishment scheme. If you are just going to bang the fire button relentlessly as I used to see so many doing in the arcades in the hope you would increase the fire rate you are probably on a losing battle.

As I also said each to their own, you prefer Galaga, I prefer Galaxian. End of.

Comment

Nobody's trying to stop you having your own opinion.

I just found that particular one astounding.

Comment

I've always loved Galaga '88 on the PCE,

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      Nobody's trying to stop you having your own opinion.

I just found that particular one astounding.
                      That makes two of us.

Comment

Working...
                      X