Retro Arena: Early Coin-ops

Defender - Williams - 1981

Galaga - Namco - 1981

Ms. Pac-Man - Midway - 1981

Donkey Kong - Nintendo - 1981

Robotron 2084 - Williams - 1982

Bomb Jack - Tehkan - 1984

Which one do you like the most?

For me it's probably mrs pacman, while a lot doesn't change between levels it's enough to spur you on to keep going. While i do love bombjack for it's graphics & music, it's a cheating unfair coin stealer the enemies move in such unavoidable patterns that it's impossible to get far on a single credit on later levels unless you have godlike reflexes or extreme luck to get the P coin in time which kind of kills the fun. Once put invincibillity on mame to see just how many levels there were, the game cheats like hell on the later levels you have mere seconds before a million enemies make a beeline for you and they are impossible to dodge. Saying that, it's one of the few arcade games in cabinet form i got to play as a kid as it was in the greasy spoon cafe a few doors down in the ghetto known as chapeltown where i used to live, lol proper seedy backroom arcade action.
    Last edited by importaku; 16-09-2018, 00:46.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      Saying that, it's one of the few arcade games in cabinet form i got to play as a kid
      It's one of the first coin-ops I clearly remember impressing me. The graphics in the 'chateau' level looked magical.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      proper seedy backroom arcade action.
      Like an arcade in Metro City.

Comment

Defender & Robotron are just magical

Comment

Easy. Galaga is by the far the most fun of that lot, and the only game of its type which is still fun today. Galaxian and Space Invaders are dull now, but Galaga is timeless.

Comment

Donkey Kong takes it for me.

Ms. Pac Man is obviously a continuation of what had been seen with the original Pac Man a year earlier, Defender, Robotron 2084 & Galaga are legendary but, when all is said and done, they're better Space Invaders clones. Bomb Jack is a better game than given credit for but that came slightly later than the others listed.

DK was original for its time and I think that tends to be forgotten by many, and of course it introduced the industry to Jumpman who would later go on to be retooled into arguably the most important videogame character ever, so those factors give DK my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by roachie View Post
              Defender & Robotron are just magical
              Yeah, they really are something special.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
              Easy. Galaga is by the far the most fun of that lot, and the only game of its type which is still fun today.
              I really like the PC Engine version. Cosmo Gang The Arcade is a nice alternative.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              Ms. Pac Man is obviously a continuation of what had been seen with the original Pac Man a year earlier,
              I think the general consensus is that Ms. Pac-Man is quite a bit more enjoyable than the original game. So that's why I chose it.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              DK was original for its time and I think that tends to be forgotten by many, and of course it introduced the industry to Jumpman who would later go on to be retooled into arguably the most important videogame character ever, so those factors give DK my vote.
              Yeah, it really was a highly significant game for many reasons. A golden classic.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-09-2018, 06:22.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of games from this era but Robotron is something else. It's so hard and I've never got good at it but but on the occasions I have played it I've loved it. It's mesmerising and I find I really get in the zone whilst playing it. Unfortunately it's difficult to recreate it without the actual coin op controls, hence my limited play time. Great game though.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                  It's so hard and I've never got good at it but but on the occasions I have played it I've loved it. It's mesmerising and I find I really get in the zone whilst playing it.
                  Yeah, it's one of those 'get in the zone' type of experiences. I really like everything about it. I'd love to own a Robotron cab.

Comment

Saturn port can be played with 2 sticks

Comment

Ah, what a list to choose from! I’d argue why no Asteroids or Tempest but other than that, all are truly great games that have stood the test of time. I know a lot of us (myself included) rabbit on about the 16-bit era being the golden generation, but I can totally understand the argument why the 1978 - 1982 era of arcade games should hold that mantle.

For me it’s a tough one to choose, and the top games for me from that list would be Galaga or Donkey Kong. I think I’m going to have to go with Galaga as I have fond memories of playing it at my local youth club (“The Lair”) back when arcades were 10p a go. Nostalgia wins.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      Yeah, it's one of those 'get in the zone' type of experiences. I really like everything about it. I'd love to own a Robotron cab.
                      I totally get this, and I’d say that Defender is also an ‘in the zone’ game, and, just like Robotron, it simply has to be played on original hardware to fully appreciate/utilise the unorthodox control setup.
                      Last edited by samanosuke; 16-09-2018, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                        Easy. Galaga is by the far the most fun of that lot, and the only game of its type which is still fun today. Galaxian and Space Invaders are dull now, but Galaga is timeless.
                        I agree with you to an extent, as Galaga effectively made Galaxian redundant, which itself had made Space Invaders obsolete a few years prior, but to say Galaga is the only game of its type which is still fun today? I can’t agree there as I still enjoy playing Gorf, Phoenix and Gyruss, the latter I must have spent at least an hour playing last time I was up at Arcade Club.

Comment

Defender. That noise! Amazing days.
                          Would love a real cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Defender - Williams - 1981

Galaga - Namco - 1981

Ms. Pac-Man - Midway - 1981

Donkey Kong - Nintendo - 1981

Robotron 2084 - Williams - 1982

Bomb Jack - Tehkan - 1984

Which one do you like the most?
                            Wot no mr do?

Strimmer wire credit bump up heaven that was!

Comment

Originally posted by roachie View Post
                              Saturn port can be played with 2 sticks
                              Damn, I wish I'd known that when I had a Saturn!

Comment

Working...
                              X