• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm oot. I'll make do with a neo cab running all the games

Comment

The SNES Pixel Book
      LAUNCHING ON DECEMBER 2ND

The unofficial SNES Pixel Book delivers a 272-page publication that celebrates the golden age of 16-bit gaming on Nintendo’s exceptionally popular Super Nintendo console.

"Bitmap Books is proud to present its latest retrogaming title, The Unofficial SNES Pixel Book.

Created in collaboration with German publisher, Elektrospieler, this lavish, 272-page volume celebrates the golden age of 16-bit gaming on Nintendo’s ultra-popular home console.

The book, which has been painstakingly translated from the original German text, features in-depth articles exploring the major genres to be found in the SNES’s huge portfolio of games. This is accompanied by tens of thousands of screenshots, specially taken, composed and selected for this volume, with a combination of single images, cut-outs, sprawling montages and gigantic level maps.

So whether it’s a colossal spaceship, multi-screen boss monster, giant fortress, or a comprehensive level overview, you can admire your favourite games and characters in ways rarely seen before. The book features a huge number of titles, from obscure oddities to the biggest classics, including Street Fighter II, Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV, Axelay, Chrono Trigger, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI – all beautifully presented and preserved for eternity.

The many games have been divided into classifications, with thoughtful and fascinating insights into the evolution of genres and design trends, and their impact on today’s video game landscape. Overall, the project represents the culmination of many years’ work by its authors, Robert Bannert and Christine Bauer, and translator Thomas Nickel.

The book is offered in hardback with a spot-varnished protective slipcase, and is produced to Bitmap Books’ usual superlative standards. The Unofficial SNES Pixel Book is available for just £29.99 and will be available December 2, 2019."

Comment

They have a few things in the pipeline.

Reprints:
        "NEOGEO: a visual History and NES/Famicom: a visual compendium are currently on their way back from the printers and will be available mid-December. Apologies as we appreciate this is quite close to Christmas, but there should still be time to order. Stock of Commodore 64: a visual Commpendium is extremely low, and we don't have a reprint on the way. So much has happened in the C64 scene since 2016 that we may look at an updated version in 2020, A Gremlin in the Works is now completely out of stock. Similar to the C64 book, we may look at doing an updated version in 2020."

Atari 2600/7800: a visual compendium

Officially licensed by Atari, Atari 2600/7800: a visual compendium will tell the incredible story of the rise and fall of the truly iconic Atari 2600 and 7800 home consoles, and how they kickstarted (and crashed) an entire industry. This story will be told through a series of extensive written features, insightful interviews and anecdotal commentary from the actual designers and developers that made these machines so beloved. To contrast the extensive written content, the book will contain hundreds of nostalgia-inducing images from iconic games and professional product photography, making Atari 2600/7800: a visual compendium the perfect coffee-table art book for retro gaming aficionados. Also included will be sections on box art, unreleased prototypes and home-brew games.

Micro but Many: an unofficial Micro Machines collection

Introduced by the fast-talking Micro Machines Man of the TV commercials, Micro but Many: an unofficial Micro Machines collection features over 1000 beautifully photographed Micro Machines – the must-have miniature cars of our misspent youth. Designed and created by Tim Smith, this book is a rare collection of the most loved Micro Machines from the 1980s, 1990s and beyond – including some never before seen! Curated by collectors and the original Micro Machines designers over six sections, Micro but Many is a nostalgic, visual showroom for one man’s toy car collection. Take a spin down memory lane in a race car, plane, tank, truck, motorbike, boat or even the Lunar Rover – all are included, with detailed photography and stats. The book also provides an under-the-hood look at how these diminutive wonders were created, showing off prototypes and unreleased vehicles as well as insights and anecdotes from the original Micro Machines designers.

Micro but Many comes with an animated lenticular cover, metallic foil blocked pages and four colourful bookmark ribbons.
        Due to be published in March 2020

The Games That Weren’t
        Since 1999, Frank Gasking has been running the hugely popular website The Games That Weren’t (GTW), where he and his team have relentlessly catalogued unreleased video games across all systems. Where possible, they tell the story behind each cancellation, and in some occasions have even exclusively released the previously unseen game ROM for the community to enjoy. For the last 12 months, Bitmap Books have been working with Frank to create a book that will be packed full of unreleased game stories – many of which are exclusive to the book. The Games That Weren’t is currently in development so watch this space for more information.
        Due to be published in May 2020

A Guide to Japanese Role Playing Games
        Kurt Kalata is a well known author already with many retro gaming titles under his belt, under the banner of his hugely popular Hardcore Gaming 101 website. He has a huge passion for Japanese Role-Playing Games (JRPG's) and for years has dreamt of producing a premium coffee table book on this subject. In the early stages of development, A Guide to Japanese Role Playing Games will aim to catalogue and review the biggest and best modern and retro JRPG's as well as documenting the history of this popular genre. Kurt's aim for the project is that every Japanese RPG fan picking up the book to come away and learn something new. Keep following us for more information.
        Due to be published in December 2020

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          The SNES Pixel Book
          I'm tempted to buy a copy, because the SNES is the system I'm most fond of. I've just never spent £30 on a book.

Comment

Comment

Day one pre-order.

Comment

Yeah I'm in for some of that too.

Related: a nice thing Bitmap did recently was provide digital copies of some of their past releases to folks who'd bought physical ones. Have been slowly scrolling through the Neo Geo book on a second screen today during downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  Yeah I'm in for some of that too.

Related: a nice thing Bitmap did recently was provide digital copies of some of their past releases to folks who'd bought physical ones. Have been slowly scrolling through the Neo Geo book on a second screen today during downtime.
                  Yeah, I got the email from them a few days ago.

Although, given the fact that I originally got the Neo•Geo book from them three years ago, I initially thought that the email was spam/potential fraud, lol! Thankfully, a confirmation email from their customer service set me straight.

Comment

Must admit I was initially confused by those messages from Bitmap Books but it’s certainly a nice gesture.

Comment

Cheers, I've just downloaded the Neo Geo and Game Boy books, although I paid for the .pdf when I bought those books.
                      Can't seem to work out how to download the SNES boxart book, though? Any ideas.

I'd quite like to flick through some of their other books, but considering how little time I've put into reading the books I have, it seems a bit daft splashing out:
                      Micro Machines
                      War of the Worlds
                      SNES Pixel Book

​Anyone bought these? Are they any good?

Comment

Cheers, I've just downloaded the Neo Geo and Game Boy books, although I paid for the .pdf when I bought those books.
                        Can't seem to work out how to download the SNES boxart book, though? Any ideas.
                        I contacted them about a month ago before they sent out PDFs for some other books I'd bought in the past, as they were offering a PDF for a book I'd bought in the past and never offered it when I ordered a few years ago.
                        They emailed me back in about 15 minutes with a download link! I was very happy and impressed with their service.
                        Just contact them on the website with your order number and they should be able to sort you out.

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                          Just contact them on the website with your order number and they should be able to sort you out.
                          BOOM! Done!
                          Thanks dood!

Comment

I enjoyed watching this at lunch! "Arooreeyep! Here here! RoooAAAoooagh!"

Comment

"Are you ready for hot-blooded fighting action? Hardcore Gaming 101 Presents: The Guide to Beat-Em-Ups Vol. 1 covers the origins of the belt-scrolling brawler with Technos' Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun (AKA Renegade) and the world-famous Double Dragon. Also covered are the works of Capcom (Final Fight, Captain Commando, Aliens vs. Predator, Dungeons & Dragons) and Konami (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons, Vendetta) as well as Sega's Streets of Rage series!"

Comment

https://hg101.itch.io/hg101-presents...t-em-ups-vol-1

"Are you ready for hot-blooded fighting action? Hardcore Gaming 101 Presents: The Guide to Beat-Em-Ups Vol. 1 covers the origins of the belt-scrolling brawler with Technos' Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun (AKA Renegade) and the world-famous Double Dragon. Also covered are the works of Capcom (Final Fight, Captain Commando, Aliens vs. Predator, Dungeons & Dragons) and Konami (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons, Vendetta) as well as Sega's Streets of Rage series!"
                                No hardcover version?

Also, I recently downloaded Vendetta via Arcade Archives on Switch. That game has aged badly in a way that its 1990s scrolling beat-em-up contemporaries haven't.

Comment

Working...
                                X