Bitmap Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=QualityChimp;2415539] "Arooreeyep! Here here! RoooAAAoooagh!"

I literally laughed out loud, that is spot on! Just missing the running heavy foot steps and new credit chime

Comment

There's not really a specific videogame books thread, but Comixology have a Dynamite Art Book sale on at the moment with a few art books at 79p:

There are other ones like Alex Ross, Army of Darkness, Vampirella and Troma.

Comment

Pre-orders are now live for Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side-Scrolling Beat-’Em-Ups by Bitmap Books.

Hardback book + free PDF - £34.99

"Get ready for the fight of your life in Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side-Scrolling Beat-’Em-Ups. Written by award-winning author Dave Cook, and opening with a foreword by legendary Double Dragon creator, Yoshihisa Kishimoto, this odyssey through bare-knuckle nostalgia features over 200 games spanning 37 years, starting with Irem’s 1984 arcade mash, Kung-Fu Master, continuing through the genre’s ‘90s heyday, and finishing with indie brawlers such as Mother Russia Bleeds and Streets of Rage 4.

At over 450 pages, Go Straight takes a deep dive into familiar beat-’em-up legends like Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Final Fight and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as delving into the more obscure brawlers you just have to try, like Denjin Makai, Shadow Force and Gaia Crusaders. As well as reviewing each game, Go Straight features hints, tips and guides to levels and enemies. The book is packed full of screenshots, sprites and level maps, all lovingly curated and presented to our usual high standards.

Go Straight is printed lithographically to the highest standards. This ensures that the colours in the book are really vibrant and that the pages have a high-quality, luxurious feel to them. As standard, each book is offered in hardback with a spot-varnished fascia featuring artwork by artist Jorge M. Velez.

If you have fond memories of playing side-scrolling beat-’em-ups at home on the couch or in noisy arcades, or if you’re excited by the genre and jumping in for the first time, Go Straight is the perfect guide for you.

Book specifications
        456 pages. 210mm × 297mm. Hardback. Gatefold pages. Spot-varnished cover. Edge-to-edge high quality lithographic print. Sewn binding for enduring quality and the ability to lay flat for ideal double-page image viewing. Shrink-wrapped. Free PDF for viewing on the go."

Comment

10/10 title imo.

Comment

World Book Day!

Why do video games matter? 20 books every player should read
            Why do we play? How do games work? From games philosophy to sci-fi, here are 20 delightful and essential reads for gamers

Comment

I can highly recommend Masters of Doom. That's a great read.

This is a good reminder that I need to pick up Japansoft: An Oral History, too. Our own [MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION] did amazing work in interviewing all those devs in Japan.

Comment

The King of Fighters: The Ultimate History is available for pre-order now

THE KING OF FIGHTERS: The Ultimate History from Bitmap Books and SNK tells the previously untold history of KOF, sharing developer interviews, game concept art, and more.

Shipping begins later this month

Comment

Sweet- pre-ordered. I picked up the side-scroller book when it came out, having not bought any of their books before, and it's great. Production quality is top-notch.

Comment

That KoF book looks banging. Placing a pre-order as soon as payday hits!

Pleased to see that Bitmap Books are now fully embracing pre-orders to fund their publishings instead of constantly going cap-in-hand to crowdfunding sites. Read Only Memory need to do the same.

Comment

A Handheld History

"Businessmen fiddling with calculators inspired Gunpei Yokoi to conceptualise the Game & Watch. A Handheld History is inspired by the forty-year portable gaming empire that spawned from those LCD screens. Brought to you in partnership with Retro Dodo—the internet’s leading retro gaming site—A Handheld History is an explorative jaunt through the systems and games that defined the legacy of portable systems. Less of a historical account and more of a poignant, introspective adventure across decades of gaming memories, this book will reconnect you to that long car trip full of Tetriminos, Mewtwos, and discarded AA batteries before speeding ahead to our contemporary days of OLED screens and blockbusters in your backpack.
                      Handheld gaming is a cornerstone tenet of the industry, one that has spawned communities who exchange Miis on the subway and Pokemon on the playground. Friendships were made in this pocket of the medium, and it ought to be celebrated loudly, proudly, and across hundreds of beautifully-assembled pages of art and essays. Featuring words from Jason Bradbury, Janet Garcia, Jeff Grubb, Mike Diver, Larry Bundy Jr., Ashens and many more incredible voices, this is an unmissable ode to the gaming device that you keep close to your heart—right in your jacket pocket."

Read An Exclusive Excerpt From A Handheld History, A Beautiful Coffee Table Book About Handheld Gaming:

Comment

Ah of course, Retro Dodo, the worlds leading retro gaming site.

Comment

I've been enjoying the Lost in Cult releases and got in pretty early on this one, but I also recognise that there's a few names on that contributor list that I'm not the biggest fan of.

Comment

Not Bitmap, but this could be really good:
                            Arcade Britannia: A Social History of the British Amusement Arcade (Game Histories) Paperback – 25 Oct. 2022
                            by Alan Meades

Comment

That looks excellent. I will pick that up, thanks.

Comment

Las Vegas arcade was the place for me to go to play SF2 back in the day
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X