No announcement yet.

Playstation Classic announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor list, both a series of titles that are missing, or have inferior first versions of games...

Off the top of my head, no;
    Tomb Raider
    Wipeout
    SOTN
    Crash
    Spyro
    Medieval
    Alundra
    Rival Schools
    Gran Turismo
    Breath of Fire 3/4
    Parappa
    Soul Blade
    Vagrant Story
    Grandia
    Legend of Dragoon
    SF Alpha 3
    Fear Effect 1/2
    Dino Crisis 1/2
    Bushido Blade
    Broken Sword 1/2
    International Track and Field
    Silent Hill
    Kula World
    Colony Wars
    G Police
    WWE Smackdown 2
    Soul Reaver
    Tony Hawks 2
    Spider Man
    Nightmare Creatures
    Suikoden 1/2
    Vandal Hearts
    Tenchu

Twisted Metal 1 instead of World Tour? Toshinden 1 Instead of 2? Rainbow Six ffs?! The first version of Persona that was changed badly for the US release? Destruction Derby 1 How wants to play them?

I’ve just cancelled my preorder until I know it’s ability to be modded.

A shame they weren’t able to use this as a way of releasing stuff like Parasite Eve or Xenogeara in the Uk for the first time.
    Last edited by MrKirov; 29-10-2018, 13:46.

Comment

The line up looks pretty solid to me. I won’t buy one as I own or have played to death most of these games anyway. The only choices on there I’d probably have cut are Rainbow Six (I think this will be unplayable now) and Syphon Filter (which I personally always felt was overrated, but to be fair it was a big title).

It it was never going to have shmups on the Western machine. Would’ve been totally the wrong choice for the audience this is aiming at.

I would add that Wipeout and Tomb Raider are glaring omissions, but this is a good list for pushing the nostalgia buttons of most people I reckon. They know the hardcore nerds who want to play Zanac x Zanac and stuff either a) will have PS1s or PS2s with the game and a CRT or OSSC or b) will mod this machine to include them.
      Last edited by wakka; 29-10-2018, 13:39.

Comment

Had a look at publishers and review scores ...

Battle Arena Toshinden - SCEE (85% based on 2 reviews)
        Cool Boarders 2 - SCEE (70% based on 12 reviews)
        Destruction Derby - Psygnosis (80% based on 2 reviews)
        Final Fantasy VII - SCE (92% based on 31 reviews)
        Grand Theft Auto - Rockstar Games (68% based on 6 reviews)
        Intelligent Qube - SCE (72% based on 7 reviews)
        Jumping Flash - SCE (84% based on 5 reviews)
        Metal Gear Solid - Konami (93% based on 29 reviews)
        Mr Driller - SCEE (75% based on 18 reviews)
        Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee - GT Interactive Software (88% based on 18 reviews)
        Rayman - Ubisoft (75% based on 2 reviews)
        Resident Evil Director’s Cut - Capcom (76% based on 8 reviews)
        Revelations: Persona - Atlus (78% based on 6 reviews)
        Ridge Racer Type 4 - SCEE (88% based on 28 reviews)
        Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - Capcom (81% based on 5 reviews)
        Syphon Filter - SCE (87% based on 20 reviews)
        Tekken 3 - SCEE (96% based on 23 reviews)
        Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six - Ubisoft (48% based on 14 reviews)
        Twisted Metal - SCE (67% based on 4 reviews)
        Wild Arms - SCE (79% based on 14 reviews)

11 Published by SCE or SCEE
        2 by Ubisoft
        2 by Capcom
        1 by GT Interactive
        1 by Konami
        1 by Rockstar
        1 by Psygnosis
        1 by Atlus (although I'm not sure about its EU publish status as I don't think this was officially released in the UK on PS1 only PSP)

Highest rated game Tekken 3 at 96%
        Lowest rated game om Clancy’s Rainbow Six at 48%

Average game rating: 79.1%

Comment

The fact that you’re using this as a merit system is undermined by Jumping Flash scoring considerably higher than Resident Evil.

Comment

I didn't review them, that's just what's out there. Perhaps the reviewers thought that the RE controls sucked ass

Comment

I’m considering cancelling my pre-order... if I’m only going to hack it anyway, surely I may as well just wait for the inevitable PSpi case from China?

Comment

Now to see how sony handle the emulation & visual quality as a LOT of these games are going to need filters to look acceptable via HDMI as polygon stuff looks janky at best. On the upside to this Sony has saved me some money as xmas runup season i have a lot of stuff i'd love to get but limited funds that's now an extra £90 i have free, thanks sony.

Comment

I'm not sure how Battle Arena Toshinden is going to look anything except awful by today's standards, ditto Syphon Filter.

This was always going to be an issue with anything PS1 related as many of the early 3D games haven't aged well at all, compared to the SNES where the 2D feels properly classic, it's a much harder sell.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    I'm not sure how Battle Arena Toshinden is going to look anything except awful by today's standards, ditto Syphon Filter.

This was always going to be an issue with anything PS1 related as many of the early 3D games haven't aged well at all, compared to the SNES where the 2D feels properly classic, it's a much harder sell.
                    Yep. And it’s not just looks. It was the start of 3D gaming. I get why Toshinden is here and Jumping Flash but they won’t play well at all. I played Jumping Flash a few years ago and found it pretty terrible. Even later greats like Metal Gear Solid take a while to adjust to and don’t impress on first glance. The SNES games still look great right away after all these years.

Comment

My list:

01) Rapid Reload
                      02) Street Fighter Alpha 3
                      03) G-Darius
                      04) Harmful Park
                      05) Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
                      06) Rayman
                      07) Vagrant Story
                      08) International Track and Field
                      09) Metal Gear Solid
                      10) Strider 1 & 2 Collection
                      11) Tekken 3
                      12) The Adventures of Lomax
                      13) The Adventure of Little Ralph
                      14) Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
                      15) Wild Arms
                      16) Final Fantasy VII
                      17) Mr. Driller
                      18) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
                      19) Ridge Racer Revolution
                      20) Crash Team Racing

Comment

The list... mostly makes sense to me if I let myself suspect Sony will spit out a second version next year

Comment

That games list is total ass.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                            Full line-up announced: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...p-of-20-games/

Battle Arena Toshinden
                            Cool Boarders 2
                            Destruction Derby
                            Final Fantasy VII

Grand Theft Auto
                            Intelligent Qube
                            Jumping Flash
                            Metal Gear Solid
                            Mr Driller
                            Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
                            Rayman
                            Resident Evil Director’s Cut
                            Revelations: Persona
                            Ridge Racer Type 4
                            Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
                            Syphon Filter
                            Tekken 3
                            Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
                            Twisted Metal

Wild Arms
                            Not a bad lineup IMO (bold ones are good choices I think). No interest personally but it makes sense. Toshinden has no place on there though, especially as Tekken 3 is representing.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                              Full line-up announced: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...p-of-20-games/

Battle Arena Toshinden
                              Cool Boarders 2
                              Destruction Derby
                              Final Fantasy VII
                              Grand Theft Auto
                              Intelligent Qube
                              Jumping Flash
                              Metal Gear Solid
                              Mr Driller
                              Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
                              Rayman
                              Resident Evil Director’s Cut
                              Revelations: Persona
                              Ridge Racer Type 4
                              Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
                              Syphon Filter
                              Tekken 3
                              Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
                              Twisted Metal
                              Wild Arms
                              Not too surprising a list. I don't believe this is aimed at the "core gamer" like most of us who probably have a dozen PS1 games sitting on their shelf in 2018; it's for people for whom the PS1 might've been a big part of their childhood who potentially aren't big gamers anymore.

I was secondary school-aged during the PS1's heyday. Titles like Destruction Derby, CoolBoarders 2, Syphon Filter, Rainbow Six, even GTA - these were highly prized games by all of the kids who loved videogames but would never have professed to liking videogames. Like the kids who wouldn't have gone near a video games mag, but loved FIFA.

Then there are some genuine best-in-show titles there like Tekken 3, FFVII and Metal Gear Solid. Puzzle Fighter is potentially the best puzzler on the platform (Mr. Driller is a bit of an odd choice given that, though it's a good game). Resident Evil was genre-defining; I would've went with 2 but I can see their reasoning.

They've almost certainly went with Ridge Racer Type 4 as opposed to RR/RRR because the machine comes with two pads and really needed a splitscreen racer. Remember that many of the PS1's racing games didn't support it. Of course, RRT4 isn't the one most of us would choose but it's certainly very playable in splitscreen.

Then of course there are a few slam-dunks for Sony. Fillers. Twisted Metal they wholly own.

Rayman was a surprisingly high seller, and the Abe's game had a cult following at the time. I remember my PS1-owning friends loving it, even if I never saw the appeal.

Qube is probably there to represent how the PS1's library could, at times, be quite eccentric. Thinking of titles like Incredible Crisis here.

The only ones that really surprise me are Wild Arms, Persona and Toshinden. The former seem too obscure (though I believe WA was big in the USA) and Persona? Not a good choice considering the remake. Toshinden is a curio; I have to assume that's because it was one of the PS1's early draws due to its visuals (which were impressive for the time) but it played like garbage and is only going to be worse now. I have to assume that's featured because they desperately needed another 2-player title.

I'm surprised at the absence of some stuff. EA must not have been on board, because it seems hard to believe that the machine doesn't have even one sports game (then again I was surprised the SNES Mini didn't have Super Soccer and Super Tennis to pad out the 2-player roster). I would've included Syphon Filter 2, because it was far better than the first.

Some other absentees are interesting. I suspect Gran Turismo 1&2 are a licencing nightmare, and other titles may have similar problems. Like Sony could never have included their F1 games. Surprised at the absence of Legacy of Dragoon as Sony wholly own that too, as far as I'm aware. I expected G-Police. If EA were on-board I would've also expected Future Cop LAPD, as its 2-player mode is one of the PS1's real hidden gems, and the origin of the MOBA game genre (a fact that is not widely known).

Overall though, the majority of these games are ones that I believe those who were into the PS1 back in the day will remember and have a passing familiarity with. They could've stacked the machine with all the Vagrant Storys and Front Mission 3s that they wanted but that probably wouldn't sell to their target market.

Still... When they set out the list? Would've loved to be a fly-on-the-wall in that room. Toshinden and a couple of others reaaaaaally have the scent of "an EA title was meant to be here".

Comment

Good analysis. I was primary school age in the PS1’s heyday and the majority of these are titles I remember people owning and discussing, and that mags would frequently reference. They were well known games that people liked.

Persona is a really weird one. I hadn’t even heard of the series till 3. I’d say that in the UK at least, Vagranr Story was much better known. It wasn’t something that was discussed in the playground round my way, but it got a lot of hype in magazines.

The oddest exclusion of all has just occurred to me - no Crash. I can only assume it was held back because of the remastered trilogy...? Otherwise it’s a glaring omission in a lineup that’s meant to be pure nostalgia for adults who owned PS1s as kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X