No announcement yet.

Playstation Classic announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got all excited then I saw the controller. I love the ps1 but there’s several barriers. It definitely needs to be hackable as very few of the mainstream games appeal to me. I can understand why they will be on there but the reason I love the ps1 is that literally any kind of game could appear on it. Odd & unusual games were everywhere and what I loved to play. Without analogues means no ore no ryouri.

My ideal list would be....

Parappa
    Umjammer lammy
    Ore no ryouri
    Incredible crisis
    Suzuki bakuhatsu
    Vib ribbon
    Mr dominio
    Boku no natsuyasumi
    Geppy x
    Bust a move
    Oh no
    And a whole pile of bemani games obviously playing using a pad unless that controller port can be hacked to use other ps1 peripherals.

Comment

This is entirely pointless. PS Vita TV had way more than 20 PS1 games available, along with DS3 and DS4 support back in 2014, yet nobody bought it.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        This is entirely pointless. PS Vita TV had way more than 20 PS1 games available, along with DS3 and DS4 support back in 2014, yet nobody bought it.
        I think the amount of NES and SNES minis sold probably indicates it isn't. I can immediately think of people who owned PS1's but no longer game where this would be a perfect nostalgic Christmas present. It appeals to a different market.

If companies keep doing mini consoles they might not all be successful, but this could be a good seller for Sony.

Comment

The fad of minis will eventually die out, Sony is smart to do it now while there is interest.

Comment

Yeah, in time for Xmas. The die hard gamers like ourselves may get romantic and buy it, but it will sell shed loads to the average gamer who see the advert for this or wives and the like thinking it would be a great prezzie for hubbies. It will. My kids might complain about the resolution saying "Dad, the TV is broke".

Comment

I hope this isn't just some off the shelf SoC like the Nintendo devices have been. Probably will be though.

Do like that 720p and 480p are the video options though, they're doing scaling right (3x and 2x native 240p).

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              I'm taking it for granted that Sony will include the ntsc/60Hz versions in the European release. It'd be more work not to.
              They actually switched their EU PSN PS1 releases to NTSC/60Hz versions a while back, if you didn't know.
              Last edited by speedlolita; 19-09-2018, 10:15.

Comment

I’m not one for mini consoles myself. After getting all excited about the SFC, then spending hours upon hours hacking it, but making it look
                stock; I then played it for about an hour. I’ll not be buying this so as not to fall into the same trap again.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I assume we'll only get another 2-3yrs tops of them just through the technical limits they face barring more recent consoles.

If they did a PSOne Mini follow up I'd prefer they avoided big hitters and went a bit more alternative where the choice isn't as high a quality but it's more interestingly tied to the PS1 era. Given the mass appeal approach of the device maybe along the lines of:

01 - Jet Moto
                  02 - Parasite Eve
                  03 - Dino Crisis
                  04 - Incredible Crisis
                  05 - Loaded
                  06 - 2Xtreme
                  07 - Arc the Lad
                  08 - Cool Boarders
                  09 - Tobal No.1
                  10 - Fear Effect
                  11 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
                  12 - The Legend of Dragoon
                  13 - Micro Machines V3
                  14 - The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
                  15 - Tenchu
                  16 - Pandemonium
                  17 - Rollcage
                  18 - Demolition Derby 2
                  19 - Zero Divide
                  20 - Xenogears

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    Do like that 720p and 480p are the video options though, they're doing scaling right (3x and 2x native 240p).
                    I think all the mini consoles being 720p is all about performance. I doubt Nintendo & Sony care much about scaling not looking ideal in 1080p.

Anyway, this is an interesting announcement. I think it will sell tens of millions of units across the world, so will be a huge hit. It'll probably sell even better than the NES & SNES Mini consoles.

I'm not really interested in it at the moment. But if it can be hacked and there's room for 30+ additional games, then I'll change my mind.

Games I wish were on it:

Motor Toon Grand Prix 2
                    Ridge Racer(may as well put Revolution)
                    Einhander
                    Sexy Parodius
                    Raiden DX
                    R-Type Delta
                    The Adventure of Little Ralph
                    Zanac X Zanac

Crash Team Racing
                    Soul Edge
                    Bloody Roar
                    Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload

I guess I might only get one or two of those if I'm lucky.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 10:36.

Comment

I don't personally want to see the likes of Gran Turismo or Resident Evil, where I think there are much better options to play those games now. But I do think games like Destruction Derby, Wipeout, Loaded are all good shouts given they are fairly iconic to the system. The games they have shown are perfect choices. Tomb Raider and Crash are probably going to be on there (assuming no licensing difficulties).

Comment

Oh right, the SNES Mini had that same consideration regarding resolution.

And I completely disagree with you, scaling to 1080p doesn't make sense. It isn't a scaling integer, it would look bad. Also wouldn't have good compatibility with televisions that are merely "HD Ready".

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I think all the mini consoles being 720p is all about performance. I doubt Nintendo & Sony care much about scaling not looking ideal in 1080p.

And I completely disagree with you, scaling to 1080p doesn't make sense. It isn't a scaling integer, it would look bad. Also wouldn't have good compatibility with televisions that are merely "HD Ready".
                          I also think 720p being the chosen as the resolution is more likely because of the performance on the SOC than anything else.

On a side note - preorder placed at Amazon.

Comment

Eww, no analog sticks.

Comment

I'm sure it's all about performance, rather than the people behind these mini machines worrying about 1080p not being an integer. If you had a 1080p mode, you'd only notice a few scaling issues, and your average consumer probably wouldn't notice them. I really think Sony would have allowed 480/720/1080p if they felt all games could emulate perfectly in 1080p. I'd be surprised if the integer aspect was the reason to omit 1080p.

I also think Sony would have put a '4K' option if there were the power to run emulation at that resolution.

Also, it will be interesting to see if Sony are using any graphic filters to make the games look less rough. I hope there's an option for 'original or enhanced' graphics to make everyone happy.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 11:07.

Comment

The lack of analogue sticks wouldn't have struck me as a major issue if it weren't for the inclusion of Type 4, which if I remember correctly used the sticks and felt really good with them. Wipeout 3 took me ages to get the hang of with the sticks but, once I did, it felt beautiful. But I'm struggling to remember what other games used the sticks.

Comment

Working...
                                X