X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope Wipeout 2097 and Parrappa are on it

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      it's a nice little thing to celebrate the legacy of the PS1.
      I agree that some of the reasons people are moaning about the Classic are pointless. My only issues with it are price and the amount of games. I'd say it should be £69.99. That's an attractive price for everyone.

There were thousands of games released for the PS1, so it has a rich library. It's very strange that Sony has decided to only include a paltry 20 games, even if some people will say "RPGs deliver 20+ hours of gameplay". I personally have no interest in RPG/Adventure games. Anyone who has an interest in the PS1 - especially Sony - would easily be able to pick 40+ good to very good PS1 games. So Sony should have splashed more cash to really celebrate how special the PS1 and its library of games was. 20 games is a ridiculously meagre amount -- this isn't the Jaguar Mini.

Comment

If you wanted say 30 games for £70, that’s £2.33 per game minus the cost of the unit, distribution, retail which probably leaves less than £1 and it’s probably a good deal lower. I can’t imagine there is any way Sony could have negotiated that with third party publishers which would have hugely limited game choice. Your expectations are unreasonable.

Comment

Noticing a bit of a lack of Konami participation, here. The same goes for the NES Online Switch thing. There's only Gradius that they've let loose.

Is this them and their usual bellendedness as of late?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            If you wanted say 30 games for £70, that’s £2.33 per game minus the cost of the unit, distribution, retail which probably leaves less than £1 and it’s probably a good deal lower. I can’t imagine there is any way Sony could have negotiated that with third party publishers which would have hugely limited game choice. Your expectations are unreasonable.
            I don't think it's entirely unreasonable - how many PS1 games do Sony own the rights to meaning it's going to cost them very little. (The answer is rather a lot). Plus as you allude to, the market for PlayStation classic software isn't what I'd call plentiful so there's a lot of bargaining power there.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see a PS One Mini classic or MarkII with more games and analogue sticks too - if ithis sells well they're not going to bust a gut to improve the offering. The hardware for this will cost them less than a tenner, so there's plenty of scope for profit here as well. And would it have been difficult to have a USB port to plug in an external CD drive for PS1 original discs - you can get these for pennies.There are third party solutions for the SNES mini now.

But I think we know this has nothing to do with nostalgia and everything to do with maximising profit.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            Noticing a bit of a lack of Konami participation, here. The same goes for the NES Online Switch thing. There's only Gradius that they've let loose.

Is this them and their usual bellendedness as of late?
            There's a hashtag for that.
            Last edited by MartyG; 20-09-2018, 19:51.

Comment

I feel like they have jumped to far into the generation by announcing Tekken 3 and Ridge 4. I'd have liked to have seen original Tekken and Ridge.

Hopefully we will see Wipeout, Resident Evil but Track and Field would be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                What is an ISO of a 20 year old PS1 game worth? I don't think people outside of the big publishers can answer that. At least with modern games, you can look at development costs and all the subsequent costs, and appreciate pricing structures to some degree. New games are a world away from ISOs of old games, so you can't really calculate what an ISO of any given old game is really worth.

If you look at Steam keys for quite modern games, you can get something like the 2014 version of Gauntlet for around £1.50. I have no clue what any game is a really worth, so I have to listen to publishers and developers who price their games. Why does a Indie game 'Horizon Chase Turbo' cost £15.99 on the PS4? Is that what it's worth, or just a price the developer chose. So I'm just saying the price of a game doesn't mean it's worth the price - it's just what publishers and developers feel they can get away with.

You can see that mainstream publishers and Indie developer sometimes heavily discount their games. A £10 Indie game can sometimes be bought for £4 in a sale. A £60 mainstream game on the PS4 can sometimes be had for £10 in a sale.

So I think an ISO of an old game like Wild Arms isn't worth anything really. But because it's built into the PlayStation Classic, Sony and the game's publisher can pin a price on it and then sell it to the public as part of the Classic console. Namco could say Ridge Racer 4 is worth 50p, so if the Classic sells millions of units, Namco will make a tidy sum for giving Sony an ISO image.

If Sony offered publishers 20p per unit to include an ISO of one of its old PlayStation games on the Classic, the publishers would make a million pounds if Sony managed to sell 5 million units. I think business people with the rights to old PlayStation games should be happy to sell an ISO to a company like Sony for 20p per unit. If that were the case, it would only cost Sony £10 to put 50 games on the classic. And Sony own a lot of the best PlayStation games, so the ISOs cost them nothing.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 40-50 games on the Classic. I think Sony are just being very stingy, if not miserly. You'd think a big company like Sony would really go to town and deliver a PlayStation Classic that is full of good to great games for all tastes. I think having a paltry 20 games can't be justified - and will no doubt put a lot of people off what could have been a truly special product.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2018, 22:30.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  Just seen the back of the console, hmmm just exactly what is under that expansion port cover?? it certainly looks like it isn't just a moulded feature. Maybe a card slot?
                  Upon closer inspection it does indeed look like there’s something there... why else replicate an unnecessary port that was only ever used for cheat / modchip devices? I can’t see there being just a standard SD card port behind the panel though...

Comment

It’ll sell like hotcakes regardless of what we want or think Sony ‘should’ do. And it will sell out, meaning they won’t need to have done anything beyond what they will have done.

Unlike the SNES(and to an even greater extent, the NES), the PS holds fond memories for a bucketload of people who’ll be in their 20’s right now with money to burn.

The SNES Mini is for people who have kids and mortgages and therefore Raspberry Pis with ROMs(you can sneak them behind the TV without the wife finding out). Speaking of which, those of us berating Sony’s choice of games will just hack this and put their owns ones on, anyway. So why on earth would Sony lower their profits just to appease us?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      Upon closer inspection it does indeed look like there’s something there... why else replicate an unnecessary port that was only ever used for cheat / modchip devices? I can’t see there being just a standard SD card port behind the panel though...
                      Seeing this and having posted above about why couldn't Sony include a USB port. Well, Sony have included a USB port.

Will that allow people to plug in an external DVD/CD player to allow people to use their existing discs? I think that's still a stretch, given there's no power socket listed on that photo it looks like it's for power (and non standard). Is the other cover removable or just a moulded feature in the plastic. I don't think you can completely tell from the low res shots and the above ports guide from the user manual isn't showing anything there, but it looks like it's just a pattern in the plastic to me.

Last edited by MartyG; 21-09-2018, 05:44.

Comment

Guys. Sorry to burst your bubble - as [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] states its the power port.

Comment

I don't find the price that problematic, Nintendo were quick to slap around £20 extra on the SNES Mini despite that dropping 9 games from the count the NES had so this continues that bell curve and I'd be quite surprised if the eventual N64 Classic isn't similarly priced too with only 20 games included.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            I don't find the price that problematic, Nintendo were quick to slap around £20 extra on the SNES Mini despite that dropping 9 games from the count the NES had so this continues that bell curve and I'd be quite surprised if the eventual N64 Classic isn't similarly priced too with only 20 games included.
                            To be fair not all those games on nes mini were the A grade, where on SNES the quality of the games made up for the smaller collection plus there was 2 pads thrown in as well. Not really had a problem with the price of either so far, and this ps1 is not badly priced too. £100 is my sweet spot for stuff like this, if it costs less then that’s a bonus.

Comment

It makes me wonder why that “cover” is present. After all, that was only featured on SCPH-100X-SCPH-500X units. It seems like they’ve gone to the trouble of including that for no real reason. Perhaps that reason is because it houses an Ethernet connection and games can be added via a storefront. Now that would be something special indeed.

It looks like it can be removed.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You think they’d want to have an easily accessible Ethernet that wasn’t hidden behind a panel. And it’d be in the manual too, there’s no mention of it in the picture above.

But the panel definitely does look removable... very strange.

Maybe there is some sort of planned expansion down the line. Like somehow getting Ape Escape when you buy the (hopefully translucent green) USB DualShock.
                                Last edited by _SD_; 21-09-2018, 23:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X