No announcement yet.

Playstation Classic announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cancelled my pre-order last week. I went from being really excited to really disappointed. The biggest problem is it lacks the greatest hits factor of the SNES Classic. Some might say it's naïve to expect that with licencing issues, etc ... but if that's what dictated such a poor line-up then was it worth doing it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I cancelled my pre-order last week. I went from being really excited to really disappointed. The biggest problem is it lacks the greatest hits factor of the SNES Classic. Some might say it's naïve to expect that with licencing issues, etc ... but if that's what dictated such a poor line-up then was it worth doing it at all?
      Yeah, ditto. Waiting to hear how hackable it is. That being said, if it is hackable and people produce a good firmware with a decent CRT filter, I might be all over it.

Comment

Would you believe it. Sony go and publicise the all new PlayStation Mini Classics but forgot all about their PS4 console. ....... Oh, Wait.... It's not official, as if you couldn't tell (^_^)

Comment

Got someone who has one of these units for review purposes to take a look to see what the expansion port on the back of the unit is about and they tell me that ...

Had a good look it just now, I'm 99% sure it's just for show. Looks like sealed plastic.
          After adding up the pros and cons, I ended up cancelling my pre-order earlier this week.

Comment

I'll grab a Japanese unit at some point, but even as a collectable I'm not sure I want the UK/US version. Seen some theorising that maybe the ISO selection was done by the most recent revision, but even still, 50hz PAL versions in 2018 is in no way excusable.

Comment

I think it had been confirmed before but now the list of games running at PAL speed on the US system is going around. Nine out of twenty. That seems kind of nuts. I have to wonder what the reason could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                I think it had been confirmed before but now the list of games running at PAL speed on the US system is going around. Nine out of twenty. That seems kind of nuts. I have to wonder what the reason could be.
                I can only think of four possibilities.

1) PS games often had different publishers in different territories. It's possible this was a timing/publisher related problem, where it was easier to deal with the EU publisher than the US one for those games (even if they're Sony first party - the actual company which burned the discs, printed the boxes etc. for games doesn't always match who gets to put their logo on the box).

2) PS games (and all games before worldwide release became more common) sometimes had fixes on the Euro version that weren't in the others, because it was usually the last to be released, and generally required localisation work anyway so there was time to fix minor bugs. This is a bit like how the US/EU Sonic Adventure is much better than the Japanese original, so much so it later got re-released in Japan with those fixes.

3) Sheer ineptitude. The weird thing is that I find this hard to believe, because this seems like such a big screw-up.

4) Sony have a very specific idea for how this product works - namely they're selling it to people who don't care about these specific issues, and they also assume those people aren't even going to use the machine. They're going to plug it in on Xmas morning, rinse through 2 minutes of each game, listen to their kids squeal "mum, this is crap, I'm going back to Fortnite" and then it'll go on a shelf having served its purpose with customers who are 100% satisfied.

I have to assume it's the fourth?

Comment

SONY should be ashamed

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] Possibly but there have been LOADS of retro game rereleases from Namco to Sega to Atari and whoever and many have brand awareness but have been utterly rubbish. The ones that hit big, the ones that obviously prompted Sony to do this, were the NES and SNES Mini and a key difference with those systems is that they were actually good. Nintendo have huge brand draw but, really, this was the big difference. They did it right.

So yeah, maybe Sony think most people don't care but I think they're wrong. I think that's why Nintendo were successful and they've missed a trick if they haven't tried to put effort into this.

Publishing rights is a definite possibility. After deals have expired (they'd have to have expired or they'd have no choice but to deal with the original publishers) one publisher could have been way easier to deal with than another perhaps. Although wouldn't Nintendo have had the same issue? I don't know. And fixes? Again, maybe. I don't know. The list of games is an odd one and I don't know of any on the list that had a difference in other territories beyond language:

Battle Arena Toshinden
                    Cool Boarders 2
                    Destruction Derby
                    Grand Theft Auto
                    Jumping Flash!
                    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
                    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
                    Tekken 3
                    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six

Do we know what versions are on the UK machine? If the games not on this list are US versions on the UK machine, maybe they wanted the ease of a single machine and it came down to language options. Although if I remember correctly, the version of Resident Evil on PSN here is the US version so I don't know if there is any logic here whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I can only think of four possibilities.
                      What about language support. That maybe these PAL versions had support for non-English?

Maybe unlikely, but only other thing that sprang to mind.
                      Last edited by Digfox; 27-11-2018, 16:26.

Comment

Ooooooohhhhh. This is getting a kicking now.

It will still sell bucketloads though. We can just hope for more from the PSOne Classic Mini.

Comment

Considering it's still not sold out is a pretty bad sign, expect another neogeo mini as people hold off buying it & the thing gets it's price slashed. Unless i know that thing can be hacked i have no interest now. That game list is beyond wank.

Comment

**** I just read about this. I'm cancelling my UK one now but what about the US and Jap versions?
                            Are they still 60Hz?

Comment

Originally posted by phillai View Post
                              **** I just read about this. I'm cancelling my UK one now but what about the US and Jap versions?
                              Are they still 60Hz?
                              As I understand the UK and US units are the same. The Americans are getting 50Hz too.

I don't get why people are that upset if the emulation is supposedly bad though?

Comment

That's terrible!
                                What about the JAP version, I wonder...

Comment

Working...
                                X