Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easy is it to get a PS3 which runs everything? (formats, regions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy is it to get a PS3 which runs everything? (formats, regions)

Curious about this. I have a PS3 slim, unmodded, but I also have a modded PS2 just for running games from other regions.

I was wondering, how easy is it to get a PS3 which will run...

PS3 games from all regions (already does this I suppose)
    PS2 games from all regions
    PS1 games from all regions
    Blu-Rays from all regions
    DVDs from all regions

Not bothered about backups or yarr stuff; I just want to run official games from all regions.

Is this viable these days?

Just my PS2 isn't sounding too healthy.

I didn’t think you could get full PS2 compatibility without one of the early systems that contained either/both the EE/GS jobbies?

Comment

I was looking into this as well, the option that I was looking at was a Test (debug) PS3 but as _SD_ points out it would have to be an early Phat version.

Didnt look into modding but the test would do all media from all regions and all systems, don’t think it will be usable online though.

Comment

I don't know how things are these days but like mentioned only the early models have full ps2 compatibility.

Although later modded models can play a large number of ps2 games using emulation. I think the game has to be converted to run and install in a similar manner to the Sony marketplace ps2 games. You can't just put in a disc.

But the modded machines can play any ps1 game that's on the hard drive and they do look pretty good.

You can play any region bluray i think but dvds can be problematic.

Comment

I was going to suggest an original Test unit, but I’m sure they lacked Blu-ray/DVD playback?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            I was going to suggest an original Test unit, but I’m sure they lacked Blu-ray/DVD playback?
            Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
              Correct.
              Good shout completely missed the DVD and Blu Ray need.

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                Good shout completely missed the DVD and Blu Ray need.
                I have a "Tool" and "Test" PS3 unit. Pretty sure the Test doesn't play blu-rays and dvds but not sure about the Tool although even if it did it's very hard to get one of these units.

Comment

Hope I'm not breaking a rule here but rllmuk have a thread on how to do this in their Retro section. There's been some recent development in the area of PS3 hacking and you should check it out.

Comment

I'm interested in this, too. I have a slim PS3 back home which I'll try hacking over xmas, assuming it's possible.

I haven't tried this, but apparently something called WebMAN MOD can change the BR and DVD regions for you:

Check out those wicked joypad shortcuts!

Comment

Working...
                    X