External hard drive problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External hard drive problems

Hi, I would really appreciate any help and advice on this problem I'm having.

I have a large external drive I backed up some stuff to a couple of years ago and didn't use again. I had partitioned it into two partitions as I thought that would be a good move but now I realised that I was an idiot and it's fat32 and not ntsf format.

Anyway, I'm trying to delete some files off one partition but it won't let me do it. I choose a bunch of files and no luck. It'll let me delete one or two at a time but not a larger amount. The second partition seems fine to copy to but is also giving me problems with deleting files.

The drive has hardly been used at all so I don't know why it's playing up. I think it must be to do with the way it was partitioned.

Can you guys give me any tips, please?

Have you tried checking the partitions for errors?

Comment

I'd seriously doubt if it's the partition format type that's causing problems. The biggest difference between the FAT32 and NTFS is the maximum partition and file sizes they allow, which for FAT32 is limited to 2TB and 4GB respectively (and FAT has greater support for older kit as it's an older format than NTFS which dropped DOS support).

Do as randombs suggests and run a disc check on it, but if it's really slow at deleting, copy, reading or moving files, it's often an indicator that the drive is having issues physically.

If you want to alter the partitions you can do so through the disc manager in Windows, but if you have stuff you want to keep, then Minitool Partition Wizard is my go to tool for everything drive related (it's the magic price of free).
      Last edited by MartyG; 28-09-2018, 17:22.

Comment

Working...
      X