Top 5 RPG games for PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 5 RPG games for PS3?

Just wondered if there are any I've missed out on that's not Ni No Kuni?

People seem to really like Valkyria Chronicles; not sure if that counts as it's an SRPG, but I guess it might appeal.

It's interesting, because the system has many of them but I struggle to name one which stands out. There are several good Tales games, several of the Atelier series which has fans.

There's Neptunia if you want swimsuit-clad young anime women who are personifications of consoles.

People seemed to like Eternal Sonata. I looked forward to that because of its interesting premise (it's set in a world based upon the music of Chopin, set inside a fever dream he had during an illness as a young child)... Except the final game didn't really seem to do much with that premise. I've heard it's pretty good as a JRPG despite that though.

Comment

Nier
      Dragon Age Origins
      White Knight Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        White Knight Chronicles.
        The online features have been turned off for these two games. Won't bother everyone, but will affect some.

Comment

Why is this thread in retro? Is PS3 retro now?

Comment

The machine is over 10 years old now

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              Why is this thread in retro? Is PS3 retro now?
              The PS3 and its games are "old" not "retro". just like a Coldplay album from 12 years ago is "old" not "classical music". I'm sure that even kids could identify what a "retro" game is. They can see that 8 & 16-bit games are clearly "retro", whereas a PS2 & PS3 game is merely a rougher looking PS4 experience.

But people keep worrying about what kids think - and just assuming that kids are stupid. No, they're not stupid. And they would never say music from the '90s( before they were born) was "classical music" because most people - even kids - know what classical music is.

Classical music is defined as a period of music between 1750-1820. I'd say "retro gaming" should refer to the 8 & 16-bit era between 1975-1995.

Of course, people are free to equate "retro" with "old". I think it's fine to talk about "old" games from 10+ years ago in the retro section, because it's better than spoiling the sections dedicated to contemporary gaming.

I know people will debate me about this - maybe even get angry about it - but I think there are plenty of people who recognise that PS3 certainly isn't a "retro" machine, despite it getting on a bit now. Maybe at some point in the distant future, people won't be able to see a clear distinction between something like a Mega Drive and a PS3, but for now we should recognise and celebrate the clear differences.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-09-2018, 19:20.

Comment

Everything literally becomes retro eventually. Sorry, but it just does.

For me, to limit retro gaming to just 8 and 16-bit era is pure nonsense.

For me, consoles that peaked a decade or more ago, aren't actively manufactured anymore and don't have any new games made for them simply aren't contemporary in any way, shape or form imo - how the hell can they be?

Admittedly, by such criteria I would caveat that the seventh-generation of consoles (360, PS3, Wii, etc.) aren't retro yet because new games are still being released on those systems unless I'm mistaken? But everything up to the sixth generation of consoles is definitely retro at this point - it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-09-2018, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  Everything literally becomes retro eventually. Sorry, but it just does.
                  Tell that to fans of 'classical music' and 'vintage fashion'. People put tags, based on era, on all sorts of things. So it's not like I'm talking nonsense about tagging '1975-1995' as 'retro gaming'.

I've discussed this issue before and made clear examples of what constitutes "retro gaming". But as much as my definition makes clear and perfect sense, some people just say "old is retro" and that's that.

I think a lot of gamers - many of whom are kids - would clearly identify "retro gaming" as the 8 & 16-bit period. That's because there are clear characteristics of the hardware & games between 1975-1995 that define an era. The 32-bit generation has, for many reasons, more in common with current tech than 8 & 16-bit.

So some people can keep saying "old games equate to being retro games", but I can't agree that with simple definition. No, the 8 & 16-bit era was completely different to modern[post-1995] era gaming, which is why I think it's quite right to single that era out as being quintessentially retro.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-09-2018, 22:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    Tell that to fans of 'classical music' and 'vintage fashion'. People put tags, based on era, on all sorts of things. So it's not like I'm talking nonsense about tagging '1975-1995' as 'retro gaming'.

I've discussed this issue before and made clear examples of what constitutes "retro gaming". But as much as my definition makes clear and perfect sense, some people just say "old is retro" and that's that.

I think a lot of gamers - many of whom are kids - would clearly identify "retro gaming" as the 8 & 16-bit period. That's because there are clear characteristics of the hardware & games between 1975-1995 that define an era. The 32-bit generation has, for many reasons, more in common with current tech than 8 & 16-bit.

So some people can keep saying "old games equate to being retro games", but I can't agree that with simple definition. No, the 8 & 16-bit era was completely different to modern[post-1995] era gaming, which is why I think it's quite right to single that era out as being quintessentially retro.
                    I'm not getting into a drawn-out argument about this - it's been done before and it's tedious tbh. Needless to say, vintage clothes and vintage books and vintage film are clearly not the same thing as vintage games. Despite that being said, the fashions that trend now will blatantly be retro in X amount of decades time just as clothes from X amount of decades past are retro now. Same rules apply with literature and film. That is literally how it works and yes, pretending that it doesn't is nonsense in every sense.

So what if 8-bit and 16-bit games are different? The gaming industry evolved in line with technological advances of the day. The change was inevitable. it had to happen, just like film and literature and fashion had to. What was new then became old and older. Rinse and repeat. Everything becomes retro. Nothing will stay. Nothing can stay - it just doesn't work that way.

The PS3/360/Wii era will be seen as retro in many decades from now and that is as it should be in my opinion.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 26-09-2018, 10:43.

Comment

Thread successfully derailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        People seem to really like Valkyria Chronicles; not sure if that counts as it's an SRPG, but I guess it might appeal.
                        It's interesting, because the system has many of them but I struggle to name one which stands out. There are several good Tales games, several of the Atelier series which has fans.
                        There's Neptunia if you want swimsuit-clad young anime women who are personifications of consoles.
                        People seemed to like Eternal Sonata. I looked forward to that because of its interesting premise (it's set in a world based upon the music of Chopin, set inside a fever dream he had during an illness as a young child)... Except the final game didn't really seem to do much with that premise. I've heard it's pretty good as a JRPG despite that though.
                        The first Neptunia is not only one of the worst JRPGs on the PS3 but one of the worst games, along with Time And Eternity...and essentially every game by Idea Factory/Compile Heart, which at best are average. If you feel really generous.

The three Alchemist (Rorona, Totori, Meruru) games are on varying quality and have all been remade for the Vita with revamped system. These versions have been recently ported on the Switch and PS4...I've just received my copy today.

I personally wouldn't classify Valkyria Chronicles or Nier as RPGs, but then again everyone likes to slap a random term + RPG for marketing purpoes.

Back on track:
                        Ar Nosurge is OK, not that great and you might feel a bit lost if you haven't played the Ar Tonelico games.
                        Ar Tonelico 3 is possibly the worst of the series, play it only if you've played the other 2.
                        Still in the Alchemist series, Escha & Logy is alright, much closer to a standard JRPG than the Arland trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru)
                        Lost Dimension is an interesting game if you can get into it.
                        Resonance Of Fate is poorly explained but once you learn it it's a blast to play with very funny characters.
                        Shining Resonance is another OK game that has been remade for PS4 and Switch with extra content.
                        The Legend of Heroes series (2 chapters on PS3, 2 on PS4) is great, but very time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                          The first Neptunia is not only one of the worst JRPGs on the PS3 but one of the worst games, along with Time And Eternity...and essentially every game by Idea Factory/Compile Heart, which at best are average. If you feel really generous.
                          That's the final western name for Toki to Towa, right?

I was really disappointed with that game. I saw a very short trailer long before it came out and actually thought it might've been good, because visually it was just so novel. Shame the final game was dreadful.

Comment

Yep, that's the one.

Comment

Working...
                            X