Games you wanted but just aren't worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games you wanted but just aren't worth it

Thought I'd raise this after something I've experienced this week.

Are there any games you've wanted to play for a really long time, but then after getting them and trying them, you realise that there's just no way you're going to play them? Maybe they're archaic, or perhaps any contemporarily ground-breaking ideas feel old-fashioned now. Perhaps it was a retro title you've been watching for on eBay for ages, only to find it's just not what you always thought it might be. What games have you given up on after wanting them for ages?

This week, I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and that meant I got to sit down and play something that has been sat on my shelf for a number of years - Xenosaga Episode 1.

XE1 is a bit of a weird title for UK gamers. The first game was never released here; additionally, its spiritual forbear, Xenogears, was also not released here. However, Xenosaga Episode II and III were released in the UK, for reasons that made sense to Namco I guess, but probably no-one else.

Well, I had Episode II back in the mid-2000s after getting it cheaply, because it came with a DVD which you were meant to watch on your PS2 that would recap all the events of the first game. Upon watching it, I found out that this was was just all of the game's cutscenes cut together, with very little context between them, and didn't really hang together. I stopped watching it and decided that at some point, I would import and play the original. There was even a remake on the DS which also never got released here (I think that was Japan-only).

Consequently, for years, I've seen this mysterious KOS-MOS character in different places and always thought I'd get around to playing it. People have told me, in the way that everyone has a friend who always goes on about Babylon 5, that it was a real underrated gem, and one of the best RPGs ever made.

And I've gotta say, while the game might've appealed back at the time, I don't think time has been kind to it. Coming from XC2 doesn't help, of course, but it looks really crude, and the gameplay doesn't seem like much to write home about. I don't know what I was expecting really, but I think this is going to have to go on the eBay pile.

Anyone else?

Episode III wasn't released in the UK. Which just makes it even more odd.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Episode III wasn't released in the UK. Which just makes it even more odd.
      Seems you're right. I assumed it was released because I remembered reading a review. Looking it up now, there's a review on Eurogamer, which must've been the one... But it still didn't get released. They must've been looking at the American version.

This is Namco/Bandai all over, though.

Xenosaga 2 didn't sell, even though we didn't release the first one? Well, no Xenosaga 3 then!
      Wow, these EU people must hate Gundam games. I mean we released Crossfire on PS3 and no-one bought it!
      Make sure you guys by Dragonball Xenoverse 2 on Switch, or there'll be no Fighter-Z!
      Last edited by Asura; 25-09-2018, 17:41.

Comment

I know some people that would like to see the trilogy remastered and resold. III commands a decent price even so it makes me think there is some mild demand? Or maybe I'm just crazy. My copy of III cost £28 and seemed like a "steal" compared to some of the rates on eBay.

Naturally I've only played an hour of the first game...

Comment

That crazy Xbox mech game that came with the gigantic joystick.

I always pined for that.

Prob pants now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Budge74 View Post
            That crazy Xbox mech game that came with the gigantic joystick.

I always pined for that.

Prob pants now, right?
            Nah, that's still pretty good. The only problem is that it's an expensive novelty. If you could play it for 4 hours, you'd probably be done, though the controller was just so well-made that it's a very fun 4 hours.

Comment

Funny you should start by mentioning Xenogears because, no, that's not my pick but it relates to it. PS1 days and there were a bunch of RPGs we just didn't get here. I loved RPGs back then. I still do but I just would never have time to play them. Back then I had time. And I wanted Xenogears. I wanted Suikoden 2. I wanted Breath of Fire 4. I wanted the Final Fantasy collections we didn't get. Most of all, I wanted Chrono Cross. It looked great and I already knew I loved the soundtrack.

Got my PS1 modded and imported a whole bunch of RPGs. Chrono Cross was the very first one I tried. But I wanted to see what the others were like so popped on Xenogears and was hooked and played to the end. So back to Chrono Cross but I had to start again because I had forgotten what I was doing. But Suikoden 2 was supposed to be great so I ended up playing that instead and loved it. Then the Final Fantasies.

Anyway, I have still never played more than a few hours of Chrono Cross.

Comment

Drakengard 1 to 3, after playing Nier:G (on release) on the 360, i sort out the other universe linked games and bought Drakengard 1 and 2 for quite cheap on the PS2, mainly due to reading about the crazy reveals later on the the game, but D1 turned out to be a bigger slog than i had expected(and expected grind be quite bad but not that bad) and never got around to playing D2, or sourcing a copy of D3 which i've read it quite the gameplay and frame-rate disaster.

Comment

____ Souls
                  Skyrim

..okay, bring on the flaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                    Isn't this a big spoiler?

Comment

All the Monster Hunters.

Massive time sinks, and I feel I missed the boat by not getting in when the series was young, despite having several different releases on my shelf. That's a young man's game, where you have plenty of time on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                        All the Monster Hunters.

Massive time sinks, and I feel I missed the boat by not getting in when the series was young, despite having several different releases on my shelf. That's a young man's game, where you have plenty of time on your hands.
                        I remember playing it quite a bit on the ps2 and never really got back into the series despite owning various versions on the wii and psp. Monster Hunter world on the ps4 has fixed a lot of the series issues and is more respectful of your time, it also dosent require you to have played any of the previous games. i never felt overwhelmed playing it and its pretty good at scaling fights to solo players something the earlier games never felt like they did, its still a massive time sink but nowhere near as bad as earlier games.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid V: The Thread

For me, big initial hype, dwindling enjoyment. I accept the positives those who love it bring up but to me it's a decent game in the same light other MGS spin-offs kind of are for what they intend to do. That '5' is undeserved.

Comment

Edward Randy - I wanted this game for over 10 years. Finally found a faulty PCB, got it repaired and played it. It was not worth the wait.

Rare != Good.

It is very pretty though. Shame about the terrible controls.

Comment

I'm going to be really sad if Shenmue III ends up qualifying for this thread

Comment

Working...
                              X