No announcement yet.

Nier Automata (PS4, Xbox1, PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news on if this is getting a physical release on xbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
      Yeah, I find it queer how some players require a story in their games.
      It doesn't have to be a requirement. As Leb says it can enhance the experience. You yourself even commented on the interesting story in Divinity 2.

Comment

It generally is a requirement. That's our point. Most players only stick with games until they've unravelled the story which was probably written by someone on £6 an hour who loves the prospect of turning up to work each day not knowing if it's their last or not.

What we really need is game play in our games. All the best games don't require stories to carry them, if they do then the actual game itself can't be that good to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          Yeah its fun zipping about and smashing giant boss robots with a sword and that hooks you in at first but then the story drags you into the world and enhances that enjoyment, it gives you more reason to progress, by adding depth and layers to the experience. its the same with dancing yeah you can dance to any beat (even a monkey banging a pan), but most people require a bit more depth to make them want to get up and dance and stay dancing
          I think you've misunderstood me. I don't mind a good story. A good story done properly can definitely enhance a game, but I don't consider it an important element. Ultimately, if the gameplay is good then I'm happy. I don't mind if the story is silly or even whether it exists at all. But these days it seems that every game has to have a story, there has to be a purpose, a reason, why you're doing what you're doing, even puzzle games like Puyo Puyo Tetris have a story. It's silly. If something is fun then, for me personally, that's reason enough to do it. No further imaginary purpose is required.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          It doesn't have to be a requirement. As Leb says it can enhance the experience. You yourself even commented on the interesting story in Divinity 2.
          Divinity 2 has a great story, it's interesting and maturely written and definitely enhances my enjoyment of the game but it's the gameplay that keeps me playing. I'll almost certainly play through Divinity 2 again with a different party of characters despite knowing the story because it's the gameplay that is so much fun.
          Last edited by Zen Monkey; 08-10-2018, 10:53.

Comment

I've finished this game now (the 5 main endings plus a few others) and It was a good ride.

Everything I like about it in my 1st post I still like. I do think it over-egged and over-stayed itself, however, and I'm not sure quite where all the praise about it being such a ground-breaking work is coming from.

The story is interesting and quite revelatory (several main routes/endings plus the others beyond the 'canonical'). The choice of 26 endings is basically arbitrary, though, one for each letter of the alphabet, In fact, if you try to treat it seriously as a narrative it's a bit barmy, e.g. 9S's entire story arc in Route 3 (

utterly murderous even though he knows the machines are not at fault

).

Ultimately, it's a fairly pretty looking beat-em-up that is flattered by having its action designed by Platinum (very far from their best, I would say), wrapped up in a melodrama about the ethics of AI development and the sentience, ethics and emotions of androids. I guess the cheesiness of this melodrama is disguised by the way it is fed out over several playthroughs. In terms of gameplay mechanics and balance: I didn't go chasing side-quests nor did I grind (for example, my Pods were all lvl 1 at completion after 45 hours of playtime), yet by the time I finished I barely needed to do anything to beat any encounter and had to force myself to be creative. I did what any good citizen should and carefully crafted and balanced my 'chips', and by the end I was practically untouchable. I'm basically crap at Platinum-type games but this feels a little unbalanced (at least at Normal difficulty).

The visual style for combat, however, was fabulous. Environments remained a bit poor, low-texture and washed-out throughout. Seems they were trying to do a Fumita Ueda type aesthetic.

The music started to grate by the end, especially the artist's predilection for singing in a made-up language. The sexploitation angle also started to annoy me. I know the director likes to see women in their knickers because he's said as much - and who doesn't - but the whole design of the female androids (especially A2), who are meant to be combatants, is basically a wank fantasy.

I think the best thing about the game is the stylish menu system, which is miles in advance of almost any RPG type levelling/crafting game that I've played. It is so stylish and seamless, and it put me in mind of the awful clunky lag-fest of the Witcher 3 menus, for example, which sapped my will to continue with the game. The way this game handles RPG/customization systems reminded me a lot of Transistor, not only in style of execution but also in the creative flexibility it offered.

But despite my few gripes I'm really glad I played it. It attempts something different and is carried by a decent combat system, and that is worth the price of entry. The 'enemy' robots are adorable and I demand they be made into plushes.
            Last edited by Golgo; 12-11-2018, 11:35.

Comment

booo-urns

Comment

Finished Ending 5/Route E which turns out to be the 'proper' full ending, which was actually a lot better than the others I griped about. Really enjoyed this, proper fourth wall-breaking stuff, outdoing Kojima at his most wilful and also outdoing the asynchronous multiplay of the Souls games. It was quite a moving ending when you are

asked to sacrifice your own game-save in order to save others, as the players who came to your rescue previously had done.

This I did,

and the game slowly eradicated 50 hours of playtime piece by piece (weapons, items, chips, quest logs, etc.).

It was an incredible way to end - or to find 'closure', to be pretentious - a game that has been delightful and surprising throughout.
                Last edited by Golgo; 12-11-2018, 11:38.

Comment

I thought that stuff was really neat. I atually really enjoyed it at that point. I found the 2nd playthrough to be a but painful, but the way it increased in pace each time was a relief.

Comment

Picked this up recently and finished my first play through yesterday (around 17 hours). Started my second play through and really enjoying

playing from a different perspective

with

slightly different mechanics

I loved the original game despite its flaws. The flaws in this are even more easily forgivable as it’s just such a delight.

I did find the

final boss fight

of

my first play through

somewhat

underwhelming

but I expect that’s because

further play throughs

are required.

I went into this with my only knowledge of it being the demo and the first game. And I’m glad I did it that way.

Comment

Loving the use of the Spoilers here

You're right though, it just gets better, and better and then a bit better again.

A totally excellent game.

Comment

I'm glad that you

enjoyed it

Comment

Waited a full year for this to come on sale again PS Store for £26 and got Game Of Yorha edition. I played the demo previously and that was fun, the completing 3/4 times may take a while I feel. Hope I have enough time as I hear one finish is only like half the game.

...just see above soo 5 times to finish hmm. Sounds like it regards you. I best get stuck with not DMCV and finish that and get on this.
                          Last edited by JU!; 26-05-2019, 06:40.

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
                            ...just see above soo 5 times to finish hmm. Sounds like it regards you. I best get stuck with not DMCV and finish that and get on this.
                            Yeah, but you can count them as one continuous game, you don't really replay parts or redo stuff you already did (combat aside). The false endings can be a turn off for someone, but they fit well with how the game is structured.

Comment

I “finished” this yesterday after

40 hours

. Am now on what is effectively

new game plus

So glad I read nothing about this in advance.

Having unlocked the woman in the

Resistance Camp

who has the

machine head

I was delighted to discover that

this time around

you can use in-game currency to

unlock achievements

! Made me smile. Seemed to fit the game very well.

Comment

I used that

Comment

Working...
                                X