Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which console best shows off 16-bit era gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    No, no it really isn’t...
    Well I'm certainly no expert but it even mention's it on NG's home page ?

Active forums, reviews, screenshots, price guides, & neo store. All dedicated to SNK’s 24-bit NeoGeo systems & games.

"DEDICATED TO SNK'S 24-BIT 2D SYSTEMS & GAMES"
    Last edited by trev1976; 03-10-2018, 06:21.

Comment

SNES if my personal fave but I feel the Mega Drive summed up the period best.

Comment

I'm bracing myself for the 2020 arrival of the 1024 Bit generation!

Comment

Originally posted by trev1976 View Post
          Well I'm certainly no expert but it even mention's it on NG's home page ?

Active forums, reviews, screenshots, price guides, & neo store. All dedicated to SNK’s 24-bit NeoGeo systems & games.

"DEDICATED TO SNK'S 24-BIT 2D SYSTEMS & GAMES"
          That cesspit isn’t even official. And by that logic the Megadrive is also ‘24 Bit’....

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            And by that logic the Megadrive is also ‘24 Bit’....
            PC Engine: 8-bit CPU and 16-bit-GPU. So it's '24-bit'.

Comment

I'd say you have Gunstar Heroes on MD and you have Contra 3 on SFCSNESwhatcheva. Both excellent showcases for each system, both exemplifying the strengths of each system as they handle a very similar game in exactly the same subgenre.

Contra 3, easily, for me, but in my deep mind Gunstar rocks the boat in how system-pushy it feels. It feels overclocked and it's still smooth and zingy as ever.

I'd agree SNES had more depth, of sound and colour, as well but I had a Jap MD back in the day and I played all the niche, stuff like F1-Circus and Granada have always been my faves, it was such an experimental console, I think people need to truly delve into the slickness and depth of the shooters on MD, realise they did done thing the SNES never could.

BUT...the SNES could do Super Metroid. Super Mario World. Link To The Past. Classy games with orchestral scores.

To me, I'm brainy and clever enough to realise I don't care and I like both.

Both consoles were too awesome not to own back in the day so I saved up to buy both and experienced much of the back catalogue of both consoles and enjoyed each for their strengths and weaknesses.

Thus I love both machines and my word is blood.

BLOOD

Comment

I meant to say "some things" rather than "done thing" near the end but I get all OCD about seeing that edit text below my posts, gotta try and freestyle this ish like some sad old dwad I'm dying now I'm in my midlife crisis and all I want is salted pistachios for consolation.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  To me, I'm brainy and clever enough to realise I don't care and I like both.

Both consoles were too awesome not to own back in the day so I saved up to buy both and experienced much of the back catalogue of both consoles and enjoyed each for their strengths and weaknesses.

Thus I love both machines and my word is blood.

BLOOD

I agree about Gunstar and Contra 3. It's the same situation with Mario & Sonic -- Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are brilliant platformers and the Sonic MD games are also great in every department. So all those games are worthy of being used to showcase 16-bit era gaming.

So I can easily appreciate why someone would choose the MD over the SNES, because there are plenty of MD gems that perfectly display how attractive and fun 16-bit games can be. Ultimately though, I'd give someone a SNES with its finest games. I think the best SNES games might be a bit more appealing to a modern gamer wanting to experience a wide range of top quality 16-bit titles.

I love all four machines this thread is focused on, so people into retro gaming really need to embrace all of them.

Comment

Working...
                  X