Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which console best shows off 16-bit era gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which console best shows off 16-bit era gaming?

Which one of these consoles would you give to someone wanting to experience 16-bit era gaming for the first time?

Of course, you could also give them a selection of games that you think show off the machine.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2018, 09:34.

Snes/SFC
    Starfox
    Street fighter 2
    Turtles in time
    Castlevania IV
    Axelay
    Donkey Kong country

Comment

Megadrive for me

Sonic 1 & 2
      Aladdin
      Streets of Rage 2
      Gunstar Heroes
      Speedball 2

Comment

Neo Geo. No way on Earth even someone brought up on a diet of 1080p and 4K gaming couldn’t fail to be impressed by some of its very best titles.

For sheer showmanship as well as great gaming I’d go with:

Garou: MotW
        Metal Slug 3
        Neo Turfmasters
        Blazing Star
        Last Blade 2

Comment

Yeah the Neo eclipses everything else by miles in terms of graphics. However, its library is extremely limited.

I'd give them a SNES though.

Comment

The neogeo is lightyears ahead over the rest. Unfortunately you would have need a rich mummy or daddy back in the day, lol

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
              Snes/SFC
              Starfox
              Street fighter 2
              Turtles in time
              Castlevania IV
              Axelay
              Donkey Kong country
              As much as I love Star Fox, I'm not sure if a modern gamer would be able to handle the low frame-rate. I'd go for Turbo over standard SF2. They're all really good games though.

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
              Megadrive for me

Sonic 1 & 2
              Aladdin
              Streets of Rage 2
              Gunstar Heroes
              Speedball 2
              I think a Mega Drive with that collection of games might impress someone and keep them coming back for more with the fun gameplay.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              For sheer showmanship as well as great gaming I’d go with:

Garou: MotW
              Metal Slug 3
              Neo Turfmasters
              Blazing Star
              Last Blade 2
              I'm not sure if someone not used to 16-bit gaming would appreciate how special those games look next to similar games on the Mega Drive & SNES, but there's a good chance they would. Those games certainly show off 16-bit gaming.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              . However, its library is extremely limited.

I'd give them a SNES though.
              I'd give them a SNES, simply because I think there's a wide variety of games covering all sorts of genres that still look and sound really nice. I think people new to 16-bit gaming might think the best SNES games still look attractive with music that's easy on the ears. There's something charming and professional about the best SNES games that helps them stand the test of time really well.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2018, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                Snes/SFC
                Starfox
                Street fighter 2
                Turtles in time
                Castlevania IV
                Axelay
                Donkey Kong country
                Replace Starfox with Yoshi’s Island and you’re on.

Comment

The Neo may have technically been the most powerful system, but the range of genres covered is crap. Certainly no point owning one if you’re into your JRPGs... One third of the entire library is fighting games too, which isn’t exactly everyone’s cup of Lady Gray...

The Super Famicom and Megadrive represent a much more rounded experience, and one that most of us (or our parents) were actually able to afford and own. I suppose around my area the MD was king, there was only two of us with SFamis and about another 5 with SNES, mostly the Grammar lads.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    The Neo may have technically been the most powerful system, but the range of genres covered is crap. .
                    Yeah, it's not a system that shows how diverse 16-bit gaming could be. The MD, PCE, and SNES have much richer libraries of games covering all sorts of genres. I think your average gamer might prefer a system that has a broad range of interesting, fun games. I think I'd give someone a SNES and some of its best games, but I also think the MD & PCE have a lot to offer. The SNES is simply the machine I think a modern gamer might easily appreciate.

Comment

Neo Geo is perfect for showing the capabilities of sprite work but beyond that the SNES Snooze Cruises the win on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        Neo Geo is perfect for showing the capabilities of sprite work but beyond that the SNES Snooze Cruises the win on this one.
                        Yeah, there are plenty of Neo Geo games that show off how impressive 16-bit sprite work can be. I still find the best Neo Geo games to be as stunning as they were back in the day. The way the games have large sprites, loads of effects and lots of colours, is a great example of what was seen as cutting edge in the early-90s.

But when it comes to a broad range of games that ooze charm and playability, I really think the SNES is the winner. Although the Mega Drive is very close with how many quality games it has covering all bases. I just think the best SNES games from Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, Enix, RARE and Square, still shine brightly enough to appeal to modern gamers.

I think a strong case can easily be made for SNES, PCE, and MD. But the Neo Geo, despite having some truly stunning games, really lacks a diversity in its library, so may not be the best choice to show off what 16-bit era gaming was all about.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-10-2018, 04:26.

Comment

I think as far as impressing with what could be done with a machine of that era, it would be a Neo running Metal Slug.

If I was just doing the same as everyone else and picking my favourite it would be the PCE mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I think as far as impressing with what could be done with a machine of that era, it would be a Neo running Metal Slug.
                            Yeah, the Metal Slug games are perfect examples of how stunning and fun 16-bit games could be.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I
                            If I was just doing the same as everyone else and picking my favourite it would be the PCE mind you.
                            I could definitely make a case for each machine, but chose the SNES based on how many good to great games it has covering all genres. I think a lot of SNES games still look and sound really nice.

I guess if you gave a modern gamer a Mini version of any of these machines and included 20 of the best games, they might appreciate them. But I have a feeling that the SNES might get the most praise. But it's definitely not easy to predict what someone new to 16-bit era gaming might think of each machine.

Comment

Yeah SNES wins on breadth.

Neo does have some range, but very limited entries in each category bar fighters. Turf Masters is great, Super Sidekicks series is not bad IMO, Blazing Star. But all designed for arcade environment as you'd expect.

Yet to play on a PCE (hoping to rectify soon)

Comment

Working...
                              X