Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64 RGB AMP - Star Fox 64 image problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did read something on shmups.system11 that said about some kind of issue with Mario Golf... Can't see such an issue myself, thinking it might be better for me if I configure my N64RGB to have de-blur enabled by default at this stage. Should be noted that I'm using a jumper pak rather than an expansion pak just so that more often than not I'm getting 240p rather than 480i. Or maybe it was remedied in a firmware update, not entirely sure!

It's amazing what a slight shift can do. Wave Race 64 goes from blur-o-vision to nearly as sharp as a PlayStation game.

Here's my reference (Bortri's material) that aided my installation after following Tim Worthington's N64RGB install guide.

Edit: Oh actually it seems as if the heuristic should detect to enable de-blur or not by default. Used the IGR input to disable the de-blur and the image shifted back and became blurrier so it looks like that feature is working correctly.

N64RGB ReadMe, of sorts.
    Last edited by speedlolita; 04-10-2018, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
      Where are you guys getting your modded N64s? I really want a modded US machine with deblur option
      Take a look at 'oldskoolconsoles'. I took a look on eBay but could only see standard RGB versions and UltraHDMI.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

It's amazing what a slight shift can do. Wave Race 64 goes from blur-o-vision to nearly as sharp as a PlayStation game.

Edit: Oh actually it seems as if the heuristic should detect to enable de-blur or not by default. Used the IGR input to disable the de-blur and the image shifted back and became blurrier so it looks like that feature is working correctly.
      I decided to buy another N64 with Tim's N64RGB board installed. My other machine can then be put in reserve -- I always like to have at least two of any given machine I like.

So de-blur will automatically work with most games, but I can turn it off if I want? I think I'm going to want de-blur to be activated most of the time. I look forward to seeing how it looks through my OSSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I decided to buy another N64 with Tim's N64RGB board installed. My other machine can then be put in reserve -- I always like to have at least two of any given machine I like.

So de-blur will automatically work with most games, but I can turn it off if I want? I think I'm going to want de-blur to be activated most of the time. I look forward to seeing how it looks through my OSSC.
        Holding Z + Start + R + C-Left will disable it yes, and doing Z + Start + R + C-Right will enable it again. Of course you can just reset the console if you like.

Comment

There is a soft reset button combo too - great if you have an everdrive

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            There is a soft reset button combo too - great if you have an everdrive
            Yep, very true. Assuming they've added that functionality, which I assume they have. Been going over lots of my games again now that this is installed and it really is impressive. Super Mario 64 is the clearest that it has ever looked.

Comment

Assuming they've added that functionality, which I assume they have. Been going over lots of my games again now that this is installed and it really is impressive. Super Mario 64 is the clearest that it has ever looked.
              It has the latest Borti firmware. I look forward to seeing all my favourite N64 games in a new light. I also hope Star Fox isn't as noisy, or I'll turn the 15bit mode on.

Comment

I look forward to seeing all my favourite N64 games in a new light
                Did you pick up a BVM then, Leon? ;-)

Comment

Did you pick up a BVM then, Leon? ;-)
                  I missed the boat with BVMs; I should have bought a nice 20" BVM years ago. Although, I think I'll be able to appreciate the de-blur using my OSSC.

Comment

I missed the boat with BVMs; I should have bought a nice 20" BVM years ago. Although, I think I'll be able to appreciate the de-blur using my OSSC.
                    Did you get your de-blur unit mate?

Comment

Did you get your de-blur unit mate?
                      It's waiting at the depot. so I'll be picking it up soon. Will spend all weekend playing N64 games.

Comment

I've finally got my hands on a 'de-blur' N64. With the blur gone, pixel lovers will be in heaven.

The de-blur strips away any blurriness, so you get a crystal clear image. This means jaggies are far more noticeable and things look more pixelated like a PS1 game. I think the improved image clarity looks really nice -- to the point where I find games to be easier on the eye. This makes the games more enjoyable to play -- which also means that I feel like I'm better at them. It really is a huge benefit not having blurriness spoiling things.

Of course, maybe some people won't like what 'de-blur' does to the image, as it's far away from how people think N64 games should look. For people who simply want their N64 games to shine with stunning sharpness and clarity, I think they'll be impressed with the de-blur feature.

I'm now thinking of buying an N64 Everdrive, which was something I wasn't overly interested in before getting a de-blur N64. My enthusiasm for the machine has been raised quite a bit.

It will be interesting to see how Nintendo approaches how N64 games look using the N64 Mini. Will they offer all sorts of image options to make everyone happy? I hope so. I like my old 3D console games to look authentically retro.

Edit: Star Fox 64 has the same image noise problem, but turning on '15bit' mode remedies this. At least I now know that my other N64 wasn't the problem -- Star Fox just doesn't like modern RGB amps. It's just one of those things, but at least 15bit mode fixes it.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-10-2018, 08:26.

Comment

I'm glad our experiences align in terms of image clarity, especially since you're using scalers. It really is a big difference, now I've got to convince Nakamura that the N64RGB is worth getting. lol

Comment

I've finally got my hands on a 'de-blur' N64. With the blur gone, pixel lovers will be in heaven.

The de-blur strips away any blurriness, so you get a crystal clear image. This means jaggies are far more noticeable and things look more pixelated like a PS1 game. I think the improved image clarity looks really nice -- to the point where I find games to be easier on the eye. This makes the games more enjoyable to play -- which also means that I feel like I'm better at them. It really is a huge benefit not having blurriness spoiling things.

Of course, maybe some people won't like what 'de-blur' does to the image, as it's far away from how people think N64 games should look. For people who simply want their N64 games to shine with stunning sharpness and clarity, I think they'll be impressed with the de-blur feature.

I'm now thinking of buying an N64 Everdrive, which was something I wasn't overly interested in before getting a de-blur N64. My enthusiasm for the machine has been raised quite a bit.

It will be interesting to see how Nintendo approaches how N64 games look using the N64 Mini. Will they offer all sorts of image options to make everyone happy? I hope so. I like my old 3D console games to look authentically retro.

Edit: Star Fox 64 has the same image noise problem, but turning on '15bit' mode remedies this. At least I now know that my other N64 wasn't the problem -- Star Fox just doesn't like modern RGB amps. It's just one of those things, but at least 15bit mode fixes it.
                            More pixelated and jaggy? Isnt there a scanlines option on your Scaler?

Comment

especially since you're using scalers.
                              The N64RGB also makes the image look better/nicer straight into my LCD without a scaler. With a scaler, of course it's even nicer. The image quality really is sensational for people who can appreciate the extra clarity and sharper graphics.

More pixelated and jaggy? Isnt there a scanlines option on your Scaler?
                              Well, I'm just talking about what the 'de-blur' does to the image. You can really see it on a screen without scanlines. Of course, when you are using scaler with scanlines enabled, you mostly just notice the increase in clarity and sharpness. The jaggies and more obvious pixels aren't so apparent.

I'd definitely recommend the N64RGB to people who just want to use an LCD without a scaler, because I still think the image is much nicer. It really does make the image far clearer. With a scaler though, the image pops off the screen and looks incredibly vibrant.

So, I'm really happy with the N64RGB. I may not being using a CRT, but I really appreciate the sharp clarity of the image. Getting rid of the blurriness does wonders for the N64.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-10-2018, 11:39.

Comment

Wave Race made it especially noticeable for me. Without de-blur it looks like vaseline is smeared on my display (almost) but with it enabled you can see the crisp polygons as you'd get with a PlayStation or Saturn.

Comment

Working...
                                X