Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64 RGB AMP - Star Fox 64 image problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    Wave Race made it especially noticeable for me. Without de-blur it looks like vaseline is smeared on my display (almost) but with it enabled you can see the crisp polygons as you'd get with a PlayStation or Saturn.
    Yeah, Wave Race with de-blur really is like switching between a blurry filter and a clear sharp image. It means you can really see the details -- even if that means it looks more pixelated. I really like how much clearer and vibrant the image is.

When I played F-Zero X, I really noticed the 'dithering' patterns the game uses for the graphics. When I have scanlines on though, it makes things look less severe. But wthout scanlines you can really see how the 'de-blur' wipes about all blurriness to reveal details usually hidden quite a bit behind blurriness.

If I ever have to use this new machine without a scaler on an LCD, I still think there's a nice enough increase in vibrancy and clarity to impress people who dislike how blurry N64 games usually are. The N64RGB delivers such a nice image.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      Yeah, Wave Race with de-blur really is like switching between a blurry filter and a clear sharp image. It means you can really see the details -- even if that means it looks more pixelated. I really like how much clearer and vibrant the image is.

When I played F-Zero X, I really noticed the 'dithering' patterns the game uses for the graphics. When I have scanlines on though, it makes things look less severe. But wthout scanlines you can really see how the 'de-blur' wipes about all blurriness to reveal details usually hidden quite a bit behind blurriness.

If I ever have to use this new machine without a scaler on an LCD, I still think there's a nice enough increase in vibrancy and clarity to impress people who dislike how blurry N64 games usually are. The N64RGB delivers such a nice image.
      Pleased for you Leon; you sound much happier!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Pleased for you Leon; you sound much happier!
        I'm happy to have the image look the best it can. It's a shame the N64 was criticised for having a blurry image, when Nintendo could have easily not gone with the blurry look. It's obvious that they - and probably other devs - thought blurring the image would disguise a bit of roughness, but it was too heavily implemented.

Of course, some people will have nostalgia for the soft/blurry N64 look, but I'm happy to be rid of it. It's nice to appreciate how clear and vibrant N64 games can look.

Comment

I'm happy to have the image look the best it can. It's a shame the N64 was criticised for having a blurry image, when Nintendo could have easily not gone with the blurry look. It's obvious that they - and probably other devs - thought blurring the image would disguise a bit of roughness, but it was too heavily implemented.

Of course, some people will have nostalgia for the soft/blurry N64 look, but I'm happy to be rid of it. It's nice to appreciate how clear and vibrant N64 games can look.
          I never knew there was such a thing. I'd be really tempted to get one, even though I'm not a big retro gamer.
          I guess the amount of blur was limited by the actual resolution of the hardware.

Comment

RGB wasn't officially supported by Nintendo. I always figured the games look as they do because they were striving for best composite compatibility, given that was the most used video out on the Super Famicom (with RGB being the least). Could just be Nintendo not really knowing what they were doing with their video out though. The Super Famicom didn't do the best RGB to start with, and even a 1CHIP has glaring issues without aftermarket tweaking. None of the Nintendo NES/Famicom hardware is especially good in terms of video either, AV Famicom aside. Just speculation though.

Comment

It really transforms some games; as Leon said it really re-ignites the joy of re-visiting them.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                I guess the amount of blur was limited by the actual resolution of the hardware.
                All I can say is - when you have 'de-blur' enabled, N64 games go from soft and blurry to sharp and clear like PS1 games do using RGB Scart. The de-blur turns off the blur filter that gives most N64 that really soft looking picture.

I have a feeling that some people might not appreciate how sharp it makes the graphics - from the environments to the character models. But even without 'de-blur' the N64RGB delivers a really nice image.

Could just be Nintendo not really knowing what they were doing with their video out though.
                I would think Nintendo went for a soft, blurry image because they thought it would make things more attractive. The really soft looking image definitely gives N64 games a distinct look next to Saturn and PS1 games. Of course, it's all very heavy-handed, so lots of people have complained about it over the years. It's nice to now have the option to remove it.

I like the N64RGB because it gives me the sort of image I want: sharp, clear, and vibrant. But I do think some people might prefer a bit of softness/blurriness.

and even a 1CHIP has glaring issues without aftermarket tweaking.
                I have a 1CHIP, but I can't say I truly prefer it. The extreme sharpness does help some games, but I've noticed it can make certain games look a bit rougher than I'd like. I think the standard SFC/SNES delivers a nice image, even if it's a bit soft. It's not like the SNES has a heavy blur filter spoiling things. I think every SNES fan should take a look at a 1CHIP, but I'd imagine that many wouldn't see it as a must-have. The N64RGB is definitely a must-have for me.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-10-2018, 20:00.

Comment

All I can say is - when you have 'de-blur' enabled, N64 games go from soft and blurry to sharp and clear like PS1 games do using RGB Scart. The de-blur turns off the blur filter that gives most N64 that really soft looking picture.

I have a feeling that some people might not appreciate how sharp it makes the graphics - from the environments to the character models. But even without 'de-blur' the N64RGB delivers a really nice image.

I would think Nintendo went for a soft, blurry image because they thought it would make things more attractive. The really soft looking image definitely gives N64 games a distinct look next to Saturn and PS1 games. Of course, it's all very heavy-handed, so lots of people have complained about it over the years. It's nice to now have the option to remove it.

I like the N64RGB because it gives me the sort of image I want: sharp, clear, and vibrant. But I do think some people might prefer a bit of softness/blurriness.

I have a 1CHIP, but I can't say I truly prefer it. The extreme sharpness does help some games, but I've noticed it can make certain games look a bit rougher than I'd like. I think the standard SFC/SNES delivers a nice image, even if it's a bit soft. It's not like the SNES has a heavy blur filter spoiling things. I think every SNES fan should take a look at a 1CHIP, but I'd imagine that many wouldn't see it as a must-have. The N64RGB is definitely a must-have for me.
                  Does your TV have scart or what do you connect it with? Also where did you buy the 64?

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                    Does your TV have scart or what do you connect it with? Also where did you buy the 64?
                    My TV has two Scart sockets(old fashioned ) and the image is still quite nice directly into the TV. We all know that plugging retro consoles into an LCD directly gives a soft image, so it's even worse with a standard blurry N64. With 'de-blur' the sharpness and clarity makes N64 games look much nicer directly into an LCD.

I also have an OSSC and Framemeister -- the de-blur looks really stunning used with a scaler. N64 games actually look sharp and the image pops off the screen with vibrancy.

There's a place in the UK called 'Oldskoolconsoles' that sells Pal & NTSC N64s with the RGB mod that enables the de-blur feature. You just have to have a controller and PSU. UK power supplies work on American/Japanese N64s.

Comment

My TV has two Scart sockets(old fashioned ) and the image is still quite nice directly into the TV. We all know that plugging retro consoles into an LCD directly gives a soft image, so it's even worse with a standard blurry N64. With 'de-blur' the sharpness and clarity makes N64 games look much nicer directly into an LCD.

I also have an OSSC and Framemeister -- the de-blur looks really stunning used with a scaler. N64 games actually look sharp and the image pops off the screen with vibrancy.

There's a place in the UK called 'Oldskoolconsoles' that sells Pal & NTSC N64s with the RGB mod that enables the de-blur feature. You just have to have a controller and PSU. UK power supplies work on American/Japanese N64s.
                      I think I’d go with a de-blur one + RetroTINK 2X + Norwegian PSU + EverDrive + GC controller adapter. Insanely expensive. £100 + £80 + £15 + £130 + £30, plus a JP 64 collection. Please just give me a Nintendo 64 Classic Mini
                      Last edited by Nico87; 20-10-2018, 14:35.

Comment

Please just give me a Nintendo 64 Classic Mini
                        You might be much happier with an N64 Mini. I think it will come with all the 'big name' Nintendo made titles. There aren't many great N64 games beyond that. The image quality will probably be really nice. I reckon it'll cost £99 with two controllers.

I get a kick out of using real hardware though, so I like to have genuine consoles to go alongside my Minis, Raspberry Pi, and emulation computer. I think you can have more appreciation for a system with the genuine hardware. But I still enjoy the NES & SNES Mini, so I'll be buying the N64 Mini, unless Nintendo do something stupid with it.

If you're going to spend £350 on an N64 and other stuff to go with it -- be sure you feel you're going to get lots of enjoyment out of it. I know I'll be using my de-blur machine for many years to come, even if there aren't loads of N64 games I want to play.

Comment

You might be much happier with an N64 Mini. I think it will come with all the 'big name' Nintendo made titles. There aren't many great N64 games beyond that. The image quality will probably be really nice. I reckon it'll cost £99 with two controllers.

I get a kick out of using real hardware though, so I like to have genuine consoles to go alongside my Minis, Raspberry Pi, and emulation computer. I think you can have more appreciation for a system with the genuine hardware. But I still enjoy the NES & SNES Mini, so I'll be buying the N64 Mini, unless Nintendo do something stupid with it.

If you're going to spend £350 on an N64 and other stuff to go with it -- be sure you feel you're going to get lots of enjoyment out of it. I know I'll be using my de-blur machine for many years to come, even if there aren't loads of N64 games I want to play.
                          I reckon I’d spend £700-800 for everything I want 64 wise, and it’s not like I haven’t spent that amount on multiple other consoles before, but the N64 is the Nintendo console I’ve played the least by far, so I don’t really know what to expect. I’m not even sure I’d like the 3D platformers from that era and they play a big part in most people’s top 20 list for example. I mean, I like SM64 but I much prefer Sunshine, Galaxy and Odyssey. Paper Mario is amazing but so is The Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario.

Would obviously be much less risk with a 64 Mini; I’d just hack in the Rare games, Custom Robo, Wonder Project J2, Bangai-O and Mischief Makers and call it a day.
                          Last edited by Nico87; 20-10-2018, 14:52.

Comment

Would obviously be much less risk with a 64 Mini; I’d just hack in the Rare games, Custom Robo, Wonder Project J2, Bangai-O and Mischief Makers and call it a day.
                            Sounds like it's best if you wait to see what Nintendo will offer with the N64 Mini. Also, if you wait until it launches, then you'll find out if it can be hacked to add more games. I really think an N64 Mini might satisfy most people's needs who just want to easily be able to play some N64 classics with the benefit of a clear image using HDMI.

I really hope that Nintendo offers a range of image options, so you can have clear raw graphics, filters for people who like an updated smooth look, and also scanlines for a CRT effect.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-10-2018, 14:56.

Comment

[MENTION=15230]Nico87[/MENTION]: no need for the Japan N64 collection if you have an Everdrive, surely? Just a couple of must-have, go-to titles?

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                                @Nico87: no need for the Japan N64 collection if you have an Everdrive, surely? Just a couple of must-have, go-to titles?
                                No, I’d want to own every game I’d have on my ED. I’ve done the same with GB/GBC and GBA. The only reason I’m okay with hacking a SFC Mini without owning any games is because some of the best games are insanely expensive, and I’ve bought most of the built-in games multiple times on the Wii, Wii U and the 3DS. JP N64 games are pretty cheap, even CIB and mint. It’s gotta be one of the cheapest retro consoles to collect for.

No room though!

[img]https://ibb.co/fNL4y0[/img]
                                Last edited by Nico87; 21-10-2018, 11:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X