Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64 RGB AMP - Star Fox 64 image problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 RGB AMP - Star Fox 64 image problems.

( The parts of the image that should be black have lots of noise and you can see vertical lines across the image. This can be seen throughout the game when there's a lot of black, such as the space sections.)

My NTSC N64 had an RGB mod in 1996. I had it upgraded with a modern amp around 2 years ago that gives a brighter image. Unfortunately, I didn't find out that Star Fox 64 now has severe image problems(shown above) until quite a while after having the modern amp installed.

So the person who installed the amp suggested I have another even newer amp installed. But Star Fox 64 still has the same image problems - which are blacks that look grey and lines and severe noise in the image.

The image problems are the same on my television and monitor - and through the OSSC & Framemeister. I even bought another copy(Japanese instead of American) of the game -- and I've used 3 different Scart cables, 2 different PSUs, and basically tried everything I can to work out what is causing the problem.

So it's obviously the modern amps causing the problem, because my original RGB mod didn't cause this problem with Star Fox 64.

Does anyone have any info or suggestions as to what the problem could be? All my other N64 games look fine.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2018, 11:37.

I don't suppose you tried the exact 1996 RGB modded console you had on your modern setup? A CRT can mask this kind of thing very well, as I'm sure you're aware. If you're just going from memory it may just be that difference in tech.

I'd be curious to know what amplifier they've installed though, if they've just done a THS with not correct attenuation this could be something that would lead to this kind of effect happening.

I'm sure dvdx has a N64RGB modded machine that could be used to check if this is normal on modern gear perhaps. Mine isn't installed currently.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

I'd be curious to know what amplifier they've installed though,
      It's the 'THS7374'. I also had a modern amp that is similar installed a while back and that had the exact same problem with Star Fox.

The thing is - I've been using my N64 on and off with LCDs for quite a while and never seen this problem. It's only when I decided to play Star Fox 64 again that I noticed it.

All my other N64 games have pure blacks and no noise. I wish I had an Everdrive to test a wide range of games. It is strange that all my games look fine except for Star Fox which has grey blacks, lines/jailbars, and loads of image noise.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2018, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

( The parts of the image that should be black have lots of noise and you can see vertical lines across the image. This can be seen throughout the game when there's a lot of black, such as the space sections.)

My NTSC N64 had an RGB mod in 1996. I had it upgraded with a modern amp around 2 years ago that gives a brighter image. Unfortunately, I didn't find out that Star Fox 64 now has severe image problems(shown above) until quite a while after having the modern amp installed.

So the person who installed the amp suggested I have another even newer amp installed. But Star Fox 64 still has the same image problems - which are blacks that look grey and lines and severe noise in the image.

The image problems are the same on my television and monitor - and through the OSSC & Framemeister. I even bought another copy(Japanese instead of American) of the game -- and I've used 3 different Scart cables, 2 different PSUs, and basically tried everything I can to work out what is causing the problem.

So it's obviously the modern amps causing the problem, because my original RGB mod didn't cause this problem with Star Fox 64.

Does anyone have any info or suggestions as to what the problem could be? All my other N64 games look fine.
        Watch this Leon

Here's an interview with Borti, from January 2nd, 2018. He's the creator of SNES and N64 boards, as well as N64 de-blur firmware. If you liked this video, ...

Sounds like flashing it with borti4938 FIrmware to allow 15bit mode could help. Apparently it transforms starfox 64. I have this and i’ll Try it out later

If it’s not this, it could be the Scaler. I remember using a framemeister with the n64 and it gave horrible wavy noise on certain colours.

Comment

Go to 17:19

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post

Sounds like flashing it with borti4938 FIrmware to allow 15bit mode could help. Apparently it transforms starfox 64. I have this and i’ll Try it out later

If it’s not this, it could be the Scaler. I remember using a framemeister with the n64 and it gave horrible wavy noise on certain colours.
            It's just the basic 'THS7374' amp that gives a nice RGB image with Csync. There isn't any firmware and options.

I originally had an RGB mod from 1996. Then I had the previous 'THS7314' installed to boost the image brightness that looked too dark on LCD screens. I've only had the newer 'THS7374' amp installed because I was told it might be the older THS7314 amp causing the problem. But sadly Star Fox shows exactly the same problem with both amps.

I've done everything I can: Tested it on a television and monitor, used 3 types of Scart cables, changed PSU, cleaned the pins, bought another copy of Star Fox. But the image problems are always the same throughout Star Fox.

It looks the same whether plugged straight into a screen, or through the OSSC and Framemeister.

My other games have solid blacks, no noise, and a nice clear image. It baffles me as to why Star Fox is full of image noise and vertical lines. Why would this particular game have so many issues when other games look totally mint???
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2018, 15:43.

Comment

It's just the basic 'THS7374' amp that gives a nice RGB image with Csync. There isn't any firmware and options.

I originally had an RGB mod from 1996. Then I had the previous 'THS7314' installed to boost the image brightness that looked too dark on LCD screens. I've only had the newer 'THS7374' amp installed because I was told it might be the older THS7314 amp causing the problem. But sadly Star Fox shows exactly the same problem with both amps.

I've done everything I can: Tested it on a television and monitor, used 3 types of Scart cables, changed PSU, cleaned the pins, bought another copy of Star Fox. But the image problems are always the same throughout Star Fox.

It looks the same whether plugged straight into a screen, or through the OSSC and Framemeister.

My other games have solid blacks, no noise, and a nice clear image. It baffles me as to why Star Fox is full of image noise and vertical lines.
              Did you watch the vid from 17:19, for a few mins? Borti explains that it’s the way starfox 64 is and the process of removing certain bits in the game, really cleaned up the noise (aka 15bit mode)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                Did you watch the vid from 17:19, for a few mins? Borti explains that it’s the way starfox 64 is and the process of removing certain bits in the game, really cleaned up the noise (aka 15bit mode)
                But how is that relevant to my problem? Does Star Fox 64 always have severe noise and jailbars if you have a modern RGB amp installed? If all N64s with modern RGB amps have a problem with Star Fox, then I will have to accept it. It's just really strange that my other games look totally mint.

Maybe I need the RGB board that you and the guy in the video have?
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-09-2018, 20:35.

Comment

I found this thread: https://assemblergames.com/threads/n...g-noise.43718/

Maybe that's the same problem I have? Can someone who knows about this sort of thing take a look and let me know if there's a solution. I could then contact the person behind the mod and let them know there's fix.

All help really is appreciated. I don't expect miracles when it comes to the image from the N64, but the way Star Fox 64 looks is terrible.

Comment

Are you using csync, luma or composite video for sync?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      Are you using csync, luma or composite video for sync?
                      I have three Scart cables: Top quality Csync; GameCube Official Cable(I assume it's Composite Video.) and a cheapy N64 cable that's Composite video.

The guy who installs the amp makes sure it's usable with Csync.

I have a feeling that modern RGB amps might be causing this problem in Star Fox 64. I've had two modern amps now that have the same problem with Star Fox. My original RGB mod from 1996 looked far too dark on LCD screens but the image was clean.

It's really annoying that Star Fox looks terrible next to all my other games looking great. I guess there is a solution, but I don't have a clue about how these sort of amps work and how to install them properly. I just have to hope the person doing the mod understands why problems like this happen and can fix it.

Comment

Can someone play Star Fox 64 on an LCD and tell me if they see grey blacks, obvious lines in the image, and loads of noise in the black parts throughout the game - so on the intro, title screen, space sections etc...?

I'm now being told it's "Just one of those things", like it's normal for Star Fox 64 to have all these problems.

I really would like to know why Star Fox 64, out of all my games, has such severe image problems with a modern RGB amp?

Comment

Can someone play Star Fox 64 on an LCD and tell me if they see grey blacks, obvious lines in the image, and loads of noise in the black parts throughout the game - so on the intro, title screen, space sections etc...?

I'm now being told it's "Just one of those things", like it's normal for Star Fox 64 to have all these problems.

I really would like to know why Star Fox 64, out of all my games, has such severe image problems with a modern RGB amp?
                          Even on a CRT Starfox had a strange grid effect (if that's what you're describing).

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                            Even on a CRT Starfox had a strange grid effect (if that's what you're describing).
                            No that sort of 'dithering' pattern is normal in most N64 games -- so you can see it in Star Fox and especially F-Zero X. N64 graphics can look really rough when you look up close.

The problem I have with Star Fox is when there's a lot of black, it looks really grey and there are vertical white ghost lines and tons of noise like pixels moving around. It looks really bad. But Mario 64, Wave Race, F-Zero X, Sin & Punishment look totally mint when it comes to pure black and no image noise.

It baffles me why Star Fox 64 looks like this? I was hoping it might be normal if you have an RGB amp installed. But I haven't found any forums with people talking about the problem I'm seeing, so I think there's something very wrong with my amp or console.

Comment

I'll test on my bvm and ossc this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X