Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64 RGB AMP - Star Fox 64 image problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got most of my JP carts cart only and they were around £1.50 on average. US carts were significantly more, like Stadium 2 at a whopping £30!

Comment

[MENTION=15230]Nico87[/MENTION]: Nice selection of titles you have there! I get what you mean about having just the titles you want to play instead a tide of "Yarrr!" sitting on memory sticks and SD cards but with the Everdrive, I get a title and try it - if I like it, I hunt down a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        I get a title and try it - if I like it, I hunt down a copy.
        If there's a game on an Everdrive that I don't own and I really like it -- I will look for a copy. But if it's going for crazy money, which often the case for the more obscure/niche games these days, I will forget about it. Well.. until I win the lottery. Paying £150+ for a game when you have tons of dosh doesn't seem so crazy.

I'm so glad I bought a massive amount of retro games and systems last decade, when prices were really low.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-10-2018, 07:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          If there's a game on an Everdrive that I don't own and I really like it -- I will look for a copy. But if it's going for crazy money, which often the case for the more obscure/niche games these days, I will forget about it. Well.. until I win the lottery. Paying £150+ for a game when you have tons of dosh doesn't seem so crazy.

I'm so glad I bought a massive amount of retro games and systems last decade, when prices were really low.
          Indeed. Take that Yokai Buster game from the NES/SNES Classic thread. Thought I’d just check eBay for fun, and sure enough it’s ~£400.

Still strongly considering a de-blur RGB 64 + OSSC. The Rare games included in Rare Replay should play better on Xbox One X, so I only have 13 games on my list at the moment which makes it hard for me.

Bangai-O
          Custom Robo
          Donkey Kong 64
          Goemon’s Great Adventure/Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon
          Kirby 64
          Mischief Makers
          Paper Mario
          Pokemon Snap
          Sin & Punishment
          Star Fox 64
          Super Mario 64
          TLoZ: Ocarina of Time
          Wonder Project J2

Could easily just fill up with Mario Kart, F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, Wave Race or even Pilotwings, but they’re not for me.
          Last edited by Nico87; 26-10-2018, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post

Still strongly considering a de-blur RGB 64 + OSSC.
            It's definitely worth considering, because you can enjoy the real thing looking its best. The OSSC is a great device.

Bangai-O
            Custom Robo
            Donkey Kong 64
            Goemon’s Great Adventure/Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon
            Kirby 64
            Mischief Makers
            Paper Mario
            Pokemon Snap
            Sin & Punishment
            Star Fox 64
            Super Mario 64
            TLoZ: Ocarina of Time
            Wonder Project J2
            I guess you could buy all of those for less than an Everdrive, or maybe for around the same price? And then you'll have the benefit of having a nice little collection to look at.

There are only around 30 N64 games that I'm interested in, so I haven't felt a strong need to buy an Everdrive. If it weren't so expensive, I'd probably buy one though.

Comment

It's definitely worth considering, because you can enjoy the real thing looking its best. The OSSC is a great device.

I guess you could buy all of those for less than an Everdrive, or maybe for around the same price? And then you'll have the benefit of having a nice little collection to look at.

There are only around 30 N64 games that I'm interested in, so I haven't felt a strong need to buy an Everdrive. If it weren't so expensive, I'd probably buy one though.
              The problem is that I can’t live with a cart-only collection, so it would be a JP CIB collection seeing as it’s hard to find CIB NTSC copies in very good condition for a reasonable price. It’d be cheaper to buy an EverDrive V3 (even at $175 plus shipping) and mint Japanese CIB copies than buying mint NTSC copies. I did the same with my JP + EverDrive GBA collection.

The main problem is that the cost of a de-blur RGB 64 + OSSC + EverDrive V3 is very, very high. Thinking of selling my PS4 Pro Spider-Man bundle though - not necessarily to finance a N64 setup, but still.

What resolution will the OSSC output from the 64? 240p or does it go higher?
              Last edited by Nico87; 26-10-2018, 17:59.

Comment

What resolution will the OSSC output from the 64? 240p or does it go higher?
                It offers 2x 240p, 3x, 4x, and 5x. I think 3x looks the nicest on my TV. But the way it works, some televisions don't like anything abovet 2x. But 2x[480p] looks nice enough.

I was using the OSSC with my standard SNES the other day -- and the image looked quite stunning with scanlines enabled. The current firmware has a new feature 'Hybrid Scanlines', which makes the scanlines look far more like a CRT.

Comment

It offers 2x 240p, 3x, 4x, and 5x. I think 3x looks the nicest on my TV. But the way it works, some televisions don't like anything abovet 2x. But 2x[480p] looks nice enough.

I was using the OSSC with my standard SNES the other day -- and the image looked quite stunning with scanlines enabled. The current firmware has a new feature 'Hybrid Scanlines', which makes the scanlines look far more like a CRT.
                  Cool, thanks! If I get one I’ll use it on my 24 inch 1080p Dell SuperSharp.

Comment

Cool, thanks! If I get one I’ll use it on my 24 inch 1080p Dell SuperSharp.
                    I've heard it works best with a monitor, because the resolutions[3x upwards] are what PCs use, instead of being simple 720p & 1080p. So maybe you'll get to use 5x, which is the sharpest looking image.

Comment

I've heard it works best with a monitor, because the resolutions[3x upwards] are what PCs use, instead of being simple 720p & 1080p. So maybe you'll get to use 5x, which is the sharpest looking image.
                      How do I know if I’ll get to use anything? Trial and error? I literally know nothing about how a scan converter works

Comment

How do I know if I’ll get to use anything? Trial and error? I literally know nothing about how a scan converter works
                        It's easy to use. It has a display built in -- and you just use the remote control to select options. There's an option for '240p' sources and you cycle through 2x - 5x. You have 'save slots', so you can save a profile for each console you use it with. There's also the option for 480p consoles, with the same 2x - 5x choices.

The OSSC was designed as a 'line doubler', so it doubles 240 lines to 480 lines. But it can also triple, quadruple etc.. the lines. If you like the look of scanlines -- it has that option -- and you can adjust the way the scanlines look, from light to dark. You can configure the image to look how you prefer it to.

Have a look at this: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

But don't worry - it's easy to use once you've played around with it for a bit and got used to it.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-10-2018, 19:09.

Comment

OSSC only gave me the option of 2x on my old Dell U2412M.

If you're able to, try and stick with the jumper pak rather than the expansion pak as this allows titles to run at 480i - which is a worse option for me tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            OSSC only gave me the option of 2x on my old Dell U2412M.

If you're able to, try and stick with the jumper pak rather than the expansion pak as this allows titles to run at 480i - which is a worse option for me tbh.
                            Why would I do it if it’s a worse option? Isn’t 480p better?

Comment

240p is better. That post wasn't very clear actually.

The expansion pak is what allows some games to run at 480i instead of 240p. Obviously, scaling 240p is far easier and provides a better result than interlaced video scaling would yield.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                                240p is better. That post wasn't very clear actually.

The expansion pak is what allows some games to run at 480i instead of 240p. Obviously, scaling 240p is far easier and provides a better result than interlaced video scaling would yield.
                                Yeah, that made more sense. Do the games let you choose or do they just auto-boot to the max resolution?

Comment

Working...
                                X