laptop USB not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop USB not working.

the USb port (all 3) seem to have stoped working, when i plug in my usb drive it powers up, but then the laptop doesn't show anything.

is there a device that will plug into the Ethernet port with usb sockets i could use?

If it's all three then I think it's probably a driver issue.

My laptop has one USB port on each side and two USB controllers show up in Windows. I often find laptops with lots of USB ports have multiple USB controllers.

Have you already ruled out driver issues? I've come across a few PCs whose USB ports would not work properly or at all until their drivers had been installed. These were usually USB 3 ports on PCs running Windows 7 or XP and would not work with the built-in Windows drivers.

If you have the means, you could try setting up a USB stick as a bootable Ubuntu(has very good driver support) to confirm if your USB ports really are toasted.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
    is there a device that will plug into the Ethernet port with usb sockets i could use?
    Another laptop :P

But seriously, you can share the USB drive on the other laptop and access its files over the network.

Comment

Could be a fuse - if you tried to draw too much power. My mate plugged in a usb powered mini vacuum cleaner to his usb keyboard and blew the keyboard and the mb ports.

If it's a Lenovo or similar, they have resetable fuses. You just power cycle and away you go. Randombs suggestion about the Linux USB key is a good one - if it doesn't boot you have an issue. If it does you can see if the other ports are OK and if they are OK, it's a windows driver issue as [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] said.
      Last edited by gunrock; 15-10-2018, 09:01.

Comment

Working...
      X