Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shikhondo Soul Eater (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shikhondo Soul Eater (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC)

This Korean bullet hell shooter is set within the beautiful and mystical world of Asian mythology. The game has no story and no young girls in skimpy garb - so yay. Or boo if you like that kinda thing. There are two selectable characters: The Grim Reaper and The Girl. The Grim Reaper has a spread shot, whilst The Girl has a narrower, more concentrated weapon. Both characters have an alt shot which when engaged slows down player movement and both characters have a special called Soul Collect mode which is charged by being in close proximity to enemy bullets. There are 5 short stages, each ending with a boss with 2 phases. There are several modes and difficulty options ranging from novice to hardcore so it's quite accessible in that sense, as well as an online scoreboard.

The aesthetics in this game are something else. The style and colours and artistry really sets the visuals apart (it reminds me Okami in that sense) and the same goes for the music which is a toe-tapping, heady blend of drum n bass and EDM. The gameplay unfortunately isn't up to the same level and, at its core, involves trying to link your soul collect modes together.

Overall it's a nice enough game and an enjoyable experience but the lack of depth with regards to scoring mechanics means it's just not as fun to play as Cave's shoot em ups. Glad I opted for a physical copy rather than digital as I don't see myself playing it for very long.

Pictures paint a million words:

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    Glad I opted for a physical copy rather than digital as I don't see myself playing it for very long.
    Just leaving this here for when you’re ready

Comment

I'll keep you in mind.

Comment

Working...
      X