Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favourite YouTube video game channels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't watch any of it. It's mostly bollocks.

DF Retro have done some great videos, as have My Life In Gaming. That's about it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      I'm really curious about a lot of this - you guys clearly watch a lot of gaming YouTube stuff, but to step back from channels themselves, what is it that you're looking for? Is it reviews, history of games / studios, tech stuff, or what exactly? I'm not being a dick about this, am genuinely curious and somewhat surprised at the number of you who are reeling off huge lists like this!
      I mainly watch videos that give easy to understand explanations of how technology works, with visual aids - such as the hardware running, and animations showing the tech gubbins. For example PS1 copy protection and the "wobble" found in PS1 discs. I now have a solid grasp of how it actually worked and why.

I used to like reading this stuff, but that would only contain static images. Seeing a video of things functioning makes grasping complicated things much easier (for example how the magnetic head on VHS works and how data is stored on magnetic tape).

Genuinely never watch high level play videos. Find them pointless. They either skip whole sections of games because they're so good (as in speedruns), or they demonstrate actions so advanced I can't relate (like fighters). I'd rather watch a well edited review by an amateur who showcases the type of gameplay I would experience if playing. Even then I only watch hidden gems vids, so as to expand my knowledge base.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
        I mainly watch videos that give easy to understand explanations of how technology works, with visual aids - such as the hardware running, and animations showing the tech gubbins. For example PS1 copy protection and the "wobble" found in PS1 discs. I now have a solid grasp of how it actually worked and why.
        this is one of my fav

Comment

If you’re into your really nerdy technical stuff, also suggest Ben Eater’s channel. The guy built a computer processor out of bread boards and basic ttl logic chips... incredibly clever and quite fascinating.

Comment

I'm really curious about a lot of this - you guys clearly watch a lot of gaming YouTube stuff, but to step back from channels themselves, what is it that you're looking for?
            I just think its a very useful resource. Also where videogames are concerned there's more independence which has meant better analysis and reviews imo.

Comment

I'm really curious about a lot of this - you guys clearly watch a lot of gaming YouTube stuff, but to step back from channels themselves, what is it that you're looking for? Is it reviews, history of games / studios, tech stuff, or what exactly? I'm not being a dick about this, am genuinely curious and somewhat surprised at the number of you who are reeling off huge lists like this!

Comparatively, I do have a few gaming channels I'm subbed to on YouTube, but it's mostly all folks who post high-level gameplay videos of things. Bemani players, FGC compilations, shmup replays and so on.
              I have been binge watching Happy Console Gamer. The guy is so passionate. His stories of when he first played his favourite games are lovely. The nostalgia he emits gives me that feeling I got reading CVG/Mean Machines Guide to Consoles (in a way). I got into his channel by watching his Dragon Quest XI review.

Comment

I like Spawn Wave for news, SwitchWatch and NintendoWorldReport for reviews on Switch games and [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] for his always excellent work. Digital Foundry and My Life in Gaming aswell as Gamesack I watch depending on what they are covering.

Comment

Nothing consistently, any I've watched have been led by the subject matter. For 99.99999% of what's out there and popular it's like a race to the bottom. Stuff like Digital Foundry and what Yakumo does are more the type of thing I'd dip in and out of because they properly look at something, far too much of what's out there is watching youtubers faking having a reaction to a game for clicks or streaming their own gameplaying (watching someone play a game has never been fun), 'reviewing' stuff in the most clickbaity way etc.

Youtube is amazingly useful but the more 'social celebrity' side of it of a youtube celeb or blogger bleeting on about something already feels dated.

Comment

That guy that got the SNES PlayStation prototype up and running was pretty great watching , Ben someone or other

Comment

That one I liked, fascinating, never caught up on how far they managed to get with that.

Alternatively, the kid queuing to pretend he was the first person in the world to buy a Switch was very miserable

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                        That guy that got the SNES PlayStation prototype up and running was pretty great watching , Ben someone or other
                        Ben Heck. Sadly he sold out his channel to element14 now, pah.

I tend to watch more tech oriented stuff honestly. Game Sack and Game Chasers were amusing enough wastes of time though.

Comment

Is anyone going to watch the new Digitiser TV series? Was looking forward to it, but... This was just stupid. Grown men almost vomiting on camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                            Ben Heck Show. Creates loads on interesting videos. I thought another interesting one was the one with the Atari high score cheat from Twin Galaxies (although he didn't know this at the time).

Just noticed I was late replying there.
                            Last edited by Digfox; 17-10-2018, 15:34.

Comment

@fuse

I'm mostly watching documentary style content on YouTube. Videos that cover a particular developer, a particular game, type of game, period of time in gaming, and tell the story of it in an interesting and entertaining way.

But I'm not limited to that. If you look at The Game Chasers, something I've embarrassingly watched all 9 odd seasons of, it's essentially Bargain Hunt with videogames. It's a bit like daytime reality TV in that sense. It's light hearted entertainment that you can watch with a cup of tea and a few biscuits but instead of being about antiques, it's about old games.

@SupermanFalls

On YT, it feels to me like it's rarely the cream that rises to the top. There's a lot of genuinely good stuff on there, but you do need to work quite hard to find it amid the nonsense.

That said, it's an incredible resource as a whole. If you look back just ten years ago, this type of video-based information/entertainment content about gaming was few and far between, as well as difficult to access. I remember downloading Consolevania and Retro Core in big old files from their respective websites over 56k. That was fun!

I used to be quite snobby about YouTube gaming content, but I don't mind admitting I was wrong. There's some great stuff out there.

Comment

Giantbomb, though they have been a bit of a downward spiral for years now (arguably since Ryan died), but still produce some magic sometimes, and can always enjoy most things that have Jeff, Vinny and Dan in them. Have been enjoying the Ranking of Fighters they do, which is a "serious" look at ranking all fighting games using science.
                                LGR
                                Kim Justice - for the docu-stuff on old UK game companies, home computers and old games/franchises
                                Arcade heroes - occasional monthly updates from arcade expo's showing the latest stuff
                                Worthabuy
                                videogamedunkey

Comment

Working...
                                X