No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 061: Sonic the Hedgehog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a complicated area that extends well beyond games. There is an extent to which you have to defend your IP even if you don't actually want to, not just so you can retain all rights to that IP but also to futureproof yourself for making new stuff later so you avoid someone claiming you copied their stuff which was actually a copy of your work in the first place. You have to show you have defended your trademarks to keep them, for example. Messier still is that it is split between copyright, trademarks and patents and they all work different ways. If you were to bring in a fanproject and show support for these, you can be sure you would need a lot of consultation with legal first if you've gone anywhere above being a small company.

Edit: Not really on-topic but, as essential as copyright is to me and my livelihood, I have become convinced over the years that about 90% of the messiness of copyright and IP laws has been created with the sole purpose of keeping lawyers employed.
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 20-10-2018, 09:34.

Comment

They need to lift Sonic directly out of Smash and give that avatar his own game. He controls wonderfully there.

I'd love to see a lap-based platformer based around score/speed attacking, with the areas evolving after each lap is completed - similar to how NiGHTS works. That would be the best example of anything rising from teh ashes ever.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        They need to lift Sonic directly out of Smash and give that avatar his own game. He controls wonderfully there.

I'd love to see a lap-based platformer based around score/speed attacking, with the areas evolving after each lap is completed - similar to how NiGHTS works. That would be the best example of anything rising from teh ashes ever.
        What you're describing is, I think, quite similar to Sonic Rivals 1&2 on the PSP.

But you want it to be good. That's the critical difference!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          when Sega did that cease-and-desist over that Streets of Rage fan project, I was really surprised, because it seems like the c&d kinda came like a bolt from the blue (heh, literally, in this case) - whereas a more "empowered" community liaison officer would've at least met with the team and performed due dilligence to find out if the game could be salvaged into an actual Sega-branded release.
          I like the theory that Sega were forced into a C&D to protect the SoR IP but did so right after the game was officially released on purpose. They could be seen as 'actively' protecting their IP, while the finished game itself would simply hit torrent sites and be available to anyone who wanted it.

They were aware of the game during production and could have shut it down at any point, yet they chose to do so after it was released...

Comment

I never got to play it, but have seen videos and it looked great. Was it actually any good in reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I never got to play it, but have seen videos and it looked great. Was it actually any good in reality?
              SoR Remake? It's incredible. If you like SoR at all, you should definitely give it a try. Now that things have calmed down, it's still being worked on and easy to download. There's v5.1 now (v5 was the official release that got shut down).

The graphics are great, and they've added effects like explosions shaking the screen. You can choose different options like whether the players move in SoR2 or SoR3 style(e.g. everyone can run in SoR3). The OC Remix music is wicked, too.

The story is naff and the English is naturally all over the shop, but the game itself is solid.

Comment

The Sonic Chaos remake is looking very impressive, hopefully it’ll make it to completion...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  The Sonic Chaos remake is looking very impressive, hopefully it’ll make it to completion...
                  Sega need to make it an official Sonic game and get behind it. That belongs on console so get it ported.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Sega need to make it an official Sonic game and get behind it. That belongs on console so get it ported.
                    It has a lot of potential. Chaos was a good game; I'm not sure how good, but I know that I've played it end-to-end back when it came out, and I enjoyed it.

It'd be nice if they did Triple-Trouble too.

Comment

I played Chaos not so long ago on the 3DS and didn't rate it all that highly. Actually we had a thread about these not so long ago because I was inspired to play the GG Sonic games at the time. Must be within the last year, I think.

Although that said, part of the awkwardness with GG Chaos is that everything is so big on such a small screen that it's impossible to see anything. The scale of the first GG Sonic was much smaller and that worked better.

Comment

Love Sonic, but it always had me a bit torn on how to play it. I probably played it how you're meant to. Run through with style. Killing, dodging and collecting rings along the way. Jump through bonus ring. BUT, being a Mario enthusiast though, I just want to take it easy and smell the roses. I didn't know whether or not I missing out on secrets and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X