Trick 'r' Treat Gaming 2018: Goblin Up Gaming Ghoulies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trick 'r' Treat Gaming 2018: Goblin Up Gaming Ghoulies

Same as tends to happen near Xmas - The haunting season is descending upon us and whilst many will be aiming to spend their time saddling up through the deserts of the old Wild West this Halloween it is also the perfect time to spend some time with a horrorific gaming treat.

Maybe it's catching up with a horror themed game from your backlog, or a redunking of an old haunting title you've previously felt spirited away by.

Will you be playing a ghostly game this Halloween and if so which?
    Share your favourite gaming horror moments, levels and games!

That Friday 13th game was on PS+ this month wasn't it?

Comment

It’s gotta be illbleed on the dc....

Comment

I've got Resi 4 begging for a playthrough on the Cube ... and Luigi's Mansion. LM is probably more in the spirit of Halloween. Wholesome spooky fun.

Comment

I’ve not played Resident Evil 7, so may give that a bash...

Comment

I'll be playing Guild Wars 2. Each year, GW2 features a Halloween festival, with its own story that dates back to the very first Halloween in GW1, and has gradually moved on in the subsequent years. It involves the ghost of Mad King Thorn who invades the land of Tyria every year, long with his son, the Bloody Prince. It tangentially relates to the over-arching stories of the games.

In game terms, this firstly does the obvious thing of reskinning certain locations in Halloween decorations and offering unique rewards that can only be earned at this time of year. However, it also offers several unique activities too. There's a lite MOBA-style game, a game that's a bit like the old Werewolf party game where a team of players tries to convert a bunch of fleeing villagers (also players) into vampires...

... but the best thing, which we do every year, is The Mad King's Tower.

This takes the form of a difficult jumping challenge. Over a number of rounds, players have to jump up a bunch of debris that is orbiting a huge clock tower, while the mist rises from the base. If the mist touches you, you die. If you fall, you die. If you take too long, you die. You then have to wait for the other players to either fail or succeed before the next round starts again. If you get to the top, you get rewards.

If it sounds frustrating, it is. It's designed to be difficult to the point of being unfair, but despite that, it's great fun. It's that perfect balance of difficult-but-possible. Really great one-more-go gaming.

Every year, we try to do it. I still remember the very first year; we just could not manage it. We were flying out to Majorca the following day, but @Blobcat stayed up super-late because she was determined to do it once.

It's also one of those things where if you do it once, you'll almost certainly manage to do it the second time around. Like knowing you can do it makes it easier. I've already managed to do it this year, but I'm going to play it a bunch more times.

(NSFW language)

Comment

That vid's class [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] ... Very funny, and can totally identify. 'Serious mode'

Comment

I've completed the Mad King's Clock tower about 20 times tonight.

I doubt I will be playing much else until this event in GW2 is over as you earn stuff that sells well for in game gold and it is worth putting at least an hour in a night.

Here are a few games I usually love playing a bit of around Halloween.

Banjo Kazooie - Mad Monster Mansion. I don't have an N64 anymore but still have most of my games, this was one of my favorites. I like this level as its not just a spooky level like the one in Mario 64, its a proper halloween one where you can even be a pumpkin!!!

Resi 4 - Any excuse really, need to get a good set up to connect up the GC again one day to play

Animal Crossing - Great fun playing tricks and collecting spooky furniture. Looking forward to the new game.

Comment

I don't know if I'll find time but I do really want to revisit Luigi's Mansion. I think the ads for the well timed 3DS version have got me feeling all nostalgic for it

Comment

That's ace, Asura and Blobcat.
                    I love how the two of you share the hobby together.

Comment

Polygon recommends modern games for Halloween playing:

-Alien: Isolation
                      -Until Dawn
                      -Doki Doki Literature Club
                      -Stories Told
                      -Resident Evil VII
                      -Kraven Manor
                      -Friday the 13th
                      -Amnesia
                      -Bloodborne
                      -Outlast Trinity
                      -Prey
                      -Bioshock
                      -Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        https://www.polygon.com/deals/2018/1...-one-pc-switch

Polygon recommends modern games for Halloween playing:

-Alien: Isolation
                        I was thinking about this and if I have any spooky games and I've still not played this, so maybe it's time...

Also, bonus spooktacular pun points for the thread title, Supes.

Comment

Have the week before & the week after off 2 weeks of spooky fun, my usual Halloween celebration of doing craft stuff, binge watching horror films and replaying a few horror games. On this list this Halloween is siren on ps3, fatal frame 4 on the wii and also night of the sacrifice. If I haven’t totally reduced myself to an adrenaline filled mess I may replay calling as well.

Comment

Bayonetta is all anyone needs at Halloween, or any time of year really.

I'll be doing a Resi 4 run myself.

Comment

Has to be Chou Makaimura.

Comment

Working...
                              X