No announcement yet.

Analogue Mega Sg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MiSTer fan here. Haven't looked back since I got my MiSTer. Sold my Analogue Super NT and I'm glad I did.

Like paulus said you just have to go through the pain of setting up your SD card - needs to be formatted in a specific way - then create some basic rom folders and the folder structure you prefer, everything is explained in details in the MiSTer wiki. You can add a compatible wifi USB dongle (£10-15 from Amazon) and configure it to connect automatically to your router, it's very easy. You then run the updater which updates everything (cores, filters, you name it).

I played Samurai Shodown 2 today on a Dell U2414H which is considered lagless and it felt exactly like the real thing. I've played that game to death.

Genesis, Super Nintendo and Neo Geo now play almost perfect. CPS1/2 among others are in the works and it's getting better each week.

As far as looks go, the "Ultimate MiSTer" case is rather nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      CEX are now selling these and Super NTs (in case you have a garage full of dvds you're looking to trade in)

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=an...tegoryIds=1032
      I ended up getting my Super NT from there (the price was £220 at the time)

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      Hilarious prices
      Depends on how you pay really, I bought vouchers at 75% of their value which is usually easy enough to do, then I also added two Retro Receivers to the bundle and it ended up costing me a total of £175 inc next day postage for the bundle, no customs or shipping fees, two year warranty, came in pristine condition.

If I'd have tried it out and not liked it I could have returned it within 14 days for any reason so that's a bonus too.

Obviously if you hit up carboot sales and charity shops quite often you can reduce the price paid by trading in junk that sells for more than you paid.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      I was just about to buy one of these when the thought "maybe I should get the Super NT as well" suddenly popped into my head. Why does my mind do this to me?!?!

I'm likely to get a Super NT sooner or later. Will I save a bit in customs fees buying them together over buying them separately?
      I was happy with my Super NT, I picked it up mostly because my original SNES outputs were poor with my setup options plus I had both PAL and US games and some of the battery backup games batteries are dead and don't save, plus the converters weren't ideal either.

I've since jailbroken it so I can play all my original carts both PAL and US and have the option of trying out games I don't own, save files to SD, picture quality is fantastic on my TV and its super simple to get out and put away, just the power and HDMI cable in and you're away, even the box for the whole package is tiny in comparison to the original SNES console boxes!

If you're happy enough with the prices of the Mega SG and Super NT then I'm sure you'll love them, they do look lovely which is a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly C View Post
        I was happy with my Super NT, I picked it up mostly because my original SNES outputs were poor with my setup options
        Yeah, it's a great machine for SNES devotees. The image quality is probably a bit better than using an OSSC or Framemeister. It's also easy to jailbreak so you can play nearly all SNES games from SD card -- including DSP and SA1 games etc... Just not Star Fox and a few others.

The guy behind it has also managed to get scanlines looking good in 1080p.

If someone isn't a big fan of the SNES and doesn't play its games very often, then they will probably see it as overly expensive option next to a Raspberry Pi etc... But it's a well-made machine that will please most people who still love the SNES.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-12-2019, 09:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Yeah, it's a great machine for SNES devotees. The image quality is probably a bit better than using an OSSC or Framemeister. It's also easy to jailbreak so you can play nearly all SNES games from SD card -- including DSP and SA1 games etc... Just not Star Fox and a few others.

The guy behind it has also managed to get scanlines looking good in 1080p.

If someone isn't a big fan of the SNES and doesn't play its games very often, then they will probably see it as overly expensive option next to a Raspberry Pi etc... But it's a well-made machine that will please most people who still love the SNES.
          Agreed, if you're after a quick play on some SNES games something like a modded SNES Mini will do you just fine, I know because I have one and its great! However if you want to play games super accurately on a modern display especially the cartidges from the various regions then the Super NT (and I assume Mega SG which this thread is about) are fantastic devices, really well made, look amazing, have lots of great options and are super easy to plug in and play.

It's a lot of money for some people and I fully understand that, you won't have too many issues at all running SNES/MD games from a cheap hacked Playstation Classic, but for people that want more then if you're happy enough with the price I don't think there's any way you'd be disappointed in the products.

Comment

Agreed, if you're after a quick play on some SNES games something like a modded SNES Mini will do you just fine,
            Yeah, the SNES Mini is perfectly fine for casual retro gamers who aren't worried about 100% accuracy. It's not like emulated SNES games look, sound, or feel radically different to how they do on genuine hardware. No, emulation is definitely convincing enough for most people. Nintendo wouldn't have created the SNES Mini if they thought emulated games would exhibit any glaring issues.

I don't think there's any way you'd be disappointed in the products.
            Not only are the image and sound quality excellent, but you also have loads of useful options. I really like how you can adjust a few scanline settings to get them looking just as you'd like. The image quality really is sensational.

I also like how the build quality is really high grade, so there's a luxury feel to it. It's definitely expensive, but I'm sure that any fan of the SNES would feel enthused by how special the Super Nt is in all departments.

Comment

New limited one with 11 track music cart, you can buy it direct from Hyperdub in the UK to with 8 quid postage , rather than being hit by the $50 shipping and then customs importing from the USA. One to consider if you were after a Sg. Heads up though they only have 150 here in the uk. Well , 149 now , opps.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumLeap View Post
                New limited one with 11 track music cart, you can buy it direct from Hyperdub in the UK to with 8 quid postage , rather than being hit by the $50 shipping and then customs importing from the USA. One to consider if you were after a Sg. Heads up though they only have 150 here in the uk. Well , 149 now , opps.
                How about including a link instead of being just bragging about buying one, never heard of Hyperdub and their website is a total mess, shop link here: https://hyperdub.net/products/analog...nt-konsolation

£244.99 (Which is a more pricey than buying a USA version exchange rate is around $322) No importing problems and charges as you say.
                Last edited by S3M; 05-12-2019, 20:57.

Comment

Question; can one of these fancy FPGA wotsits play Sega Saturn games with any degree of accuracy and broad compatibility?

Of all the retro machines, the Saturn is the one I tend to miss the most as with all the retro re-releases these days, most of my favourite games are still available, and older consoles are easier to emulate. The Sega Saturn seems to be one of the odd-ones-out.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] no FPGA devices do Saturn, PS1 or N64 yet mate I'm afraid.

Your best budget bet for perfect Saturn compatibility at the mo is to use a machine chipped with a Phantom Universal (so you can avoid the mega game prices and the nuts prices for the optical drive emulators like Rhea).

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Your best budget bet for perfect Saturn compatibility at the mo is to use a machine chipped with a Phantom Universal (so you can avoid the mega game prices and the nuts prices for the optical drive emulators like Rhea).
                      Not really viable, because I'd need to finally buy some retro upscaler kit and I've yet to take the plunge on that (the only retro console I have is a PS2, and that works pretty well over component/composite/YcbPcrfidssdglkdgdkls or whatever it's called. I can't wait for the day I can put the Saturn library on something that's basically a Pi.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]

I'm sure that day isn't far away now. In the meantime, I get a decent picture out of my Saturn via RGB straight into my 2012 Panasonic plasma. YMMV (wildly) on that front though. I don't play quite enough retro to justify an upscaler.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          I can't wait for the day I can put the Saturn library on something that's basically a Pi.
                          You already sort of can mate. Just set up beetlesaturn on a sff pc with retroarch running at 240p or you can set it up to switch between LCD and CRT pretty simply. Not quite Pi size but no bigger than an Xbox One mate. Set one up for Dvd2x recently, and have one in my Astro. Runs everything I've tried perfectly.
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

News from Analogue HQ...

Hoping the Sg cart adapters are reasonably priced - pretty keen to get a set of them.

Comment

They need to get on with the Analogue Pocket!

Although it sounds like they've got a lot on their plate. I'd love a Mega Sg with adapters but...eh...it'd be a dark path with me then pouring cash into games on Ebay.

Whereas Analogue Pocket, I'd be...pouring my cash into games on Ebay.

Urk.

Comment

decent product from analogue ��

Comment

Working...
                                X