X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site is still down for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      Because it can be moved into the living room for big-screen gaming without the need for an OSSC. Plus they are shiny, new, and decent pieces of kit overall.
      Sorry, but I still don't understand; why do you need it to have analog A/V? Surely the whole point of this is that's it HDMI and you don't need an OSSC? Doesn't it natively add scanlines?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Sorry, but I still don't understand; why do you need it to have analog A/V?
        So it can go to a CRT, as well as a modern TV without converter boxes.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Surely the whole point of this is that's it HDMI and you don't need an OSSC?
        Exactly.

Comment

Yeah I don't really get why people are so keen for analogue output on these and Super NTs. I think we already have those, they're called Megadrives and Super Nintendos

Ye gads I keep going back on their website to look at this! It's such a cool piece of kit, I'm really looking forward to it coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            I think we already have those, they're called Megadrives and Super Nintendos
            Indeed, and they both look like trash on an LCD unless you have interest in enough retro consoles to warrant an OSSC. I'm not buying an OSSC for a SFC and PSX combo, so I'm restricted to playing solely on a 14" CRT.

The desire to output to both modern and old display technology with the same console shouldn't be too confusing a concept to grasp - especially when they come with a name like 'Analogue'.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Indeed, and they both look like trash on an LCD unless you have interest in enough retro consoles to warrant an OSSC. I'm not buying an OSSC for a SFC and PSX combo, so I'm restricted to playing solely on a 14" CRT.

The desire to output to both modern and old display technology with the same console shouldn't be too confusing a concept to grasp - especially when they come with a name like 'Analogue'.
              I get you, Dave. People like us with CRTs aren’t completely stuck in the past, and in most cases will have a flat panel in the living room. Likewise, the fact we have CRTs means buying an OSSC can be frivilous expenditure to play once in a blue moon on the downstairs telly when the missus is out for the evening.

I can see the appeal of having one of these as a one-size fits all solution. The issue for me - which I pointed out in the Super Nt thread - is that I already have a SNES Mini and will also buy the Mega Drive Mini (assuming it had nothing to do with AtGames) so, bearing in mind I have an original MD & SNES hooked up to the CRT, these Analogue machines are nothing more than a luxury to me.

Having said this I can totally see why people are going nuts for them. They look so professionally manufactured and offer simple plug and play for retro on a modern TV, and with hardware that is very authentic as opposed to emulation.

If one day these become popular with the mainstream then who knows, maybe we could see them in retail alongside new releases like Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis. One can but dream!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                Having said this I can totally see why people are going nuts for them. They look so professionally manufactured and offer simple plug and play for retro on a modern TV, and with hardware that is very authentic as opposed to emulation.
                Absolutely. If I didn't have the BVM I'd have one already.

Comment

Likewise I can see the appeal it looks great and the functionality seems excellent, however a bit no aim to people with real deal + CRT set ups.

In my mind FPGA is emulation still, if not at least mimicry.

Comment

I wanted a N64 thing. I have a GBA SP and a Game Boy Player for GB/GBC games, GBA SP, GB Micro and DS Lite for GBA games, DS Lite and DSi for DS games, N3DS for 3DS games, hacked Famicom and Super Famicom for Famicom and Super Famicom games, a Gamecube for Gamecube games, a Wii U for Wii and Wii U games and a Switch to play Switch games on. Nothing for 64 except for the crappy (and limited) built-in Wii U emulator. N64 is my missing Nintendo link and the only Nintendo system I’ve never owned apart from Virtual Boy.

I hate being dependent on HDMI. I’m not gonna fall for the tempation and hook one up with AV cables on my 55 inch HD TV and HDMI modded 64’s are way too expensive.
                    Last edited by Nico87; 17-10-2018, 19:38.

Comment

Don't disappoint yourself by buying a Nintendo 64.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        Don't disappoint yourself by buying a Nintendo 64.
                        Pretty sure you posted a 64 games pickup tweet not two months ago

Comment

Nice reading up on this on Polygon, sounds like they've mostly nailed it but I find the hardware physical shells they do to be fugly variants of the OG designs

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                            Pretty sure you posted a 64 games pickup tweet not two months ago
                            Well yes, I'm at like 45 carts at this point. I just think time hasn't been kind to the hardware and if you're new to it after having played a GameCube for any period of time you'll be disappointed. Especially so if you don't have an RGB capable NTSC machine.

Comment

just pre-ordered a mega SG + controller . I just bought the Super NT so had to have this too

Comment

So I have a Megadrive, and the HD Megadrive thing from China that Yakumo once made a video about that works okay with the official controllers and whatnot (sound is not perfect though), just wondering what the benefits of this are?
                                Does it also run Mega CD and 32X games? Is that from the SD card I am guessing or for 32x does it have the hardware built in to play carts?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X