Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone played Dice Forge before? I like the box more than anything...

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      Has anyone played Dice Forge before? I like the box more than anything...
      Never tried that but the premise does look really intriguing.

Back on our boardgame playlist is Mage Wars Arena, now with the Conquest: Dominations expansion which turns it from a 'simple' mage vs mage battle to an area control contest. Also got a couple of new mage packs (Necromancer vs. Druid, Siren vs. Paladin). We first got the core set about 3 years ago and we're still learning - the variables and possible combos are just ridiculous, mind boggling. Such fun, though, and the benefit of this game is it gives you a complete deck for each mage type unlike CCGs. Half the fun, me and the lad find, is just building your deck and trying to scope/tease out each other's strategy, which we agonize and connive for days over before the ritual of coming to the field of battle.

Comment

I have a portuguese friend who enjoys board games but whose english reading skills are rather poor. Would a game like Pandemic be beyond his abilities? In the beginning, I'd be playing with him so I'd be able to help but I was wondering if, through practice and memorization, he'll ever be able to play it without my help.

Thanks for any advice! It's his birthday and I was made responsible for choosing what to get him, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
          I have a portuguese friend who enjoys board games but whose english reading skills are rather poor. Would a game like Pandemic be beyond his abilities? In the beginning, I'd be playing with him so I'd be able to help but I was wondering if, through practice and memorization, he'll ever be able to play it without my help.

Thanks for any advice! It's his birthday and I was made responsible for choosing what to get him, so...
          I've never played this game although I'm aware of how famous and popular it is. If language is an issue, though, you could consider one of the 'Forbidden' games by the same guy who designed Pandemic? There is is Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Skies. They are co-op games and apparently share a lot of the same mechanics as Pandemic but they're really accessible and don't have much text/cards to read. I've got Forbidden Island and it's great. Beautiful artwork, too.

Comment

I'll look into those, thanks! If anyone has an opinion on how Pandemic might work for someone not particularly fluent in english, do let me know.

Comment

Not updated for a while, but I've had a couple of Mint tin games, Mint Bid and Mint Control, but have yet to learn either.
              I now have the full set, but again, I'd urge everyone to source a copy of Mint Works, which we played loads waiting for our food on holiday last week:

Also bought a game called MicroMacro: Crime City, which is BRILLIANT!
              Basically, it's a cross between Where's Wally and an Escape Room.
              A crime has been committed and you have to scour the giant map for clues about the motive and perpetrators.
              Like a guy's top hat has been stolen, you locate when he had it and when he didn't and work out what happened by looking around where he walked.
              Loved it, but my wife's eyesight close-up needs glasses these days, which she didn't have, so we only did a few cases.
              My son loved it and did one without us, the scamp!

Neon's Bond thread has reminded me that I have Legendary: A James Bond Deck Building game.
              I saw Chaos Cards were selling damaged copies off for £30, so I went halves with my mate and it arrived completely unblemished.
              I have no idea why it was labelled as damaged?
              Anyway, I love James Bond and deck building games, so it's a match made in heaven!
              Yet another game to learn, which is my Achilles heel...

Comment

Managed to play Legendary 007 a couple of times, now!

Basically, I've put a gazebo up in the garden and fed power to it, so we can listen to the Bond songs whilst we try to defeat his nemeses.
                Sadly, Goldfinger has beaten us both times!

I really like a deck builder, but striking a balance between being over or underpowered is tricky.
                Goldfinger felt like we were on the backfoot every time and never really managed to build a decent hand, and if we did, we'd pull out a bad guy card that made us discard all the good cards!

I really want to beat it, though, so that's a good thing.

Comment

Recently we've been playing a lot of Terraforming Mars (plus Prelude, Colonies and Venus Next expansions) and Winsgpan (plus European expansion) on a kind of 'engine-builder' mission - full fat engine builder for Mars, and lite for Wingspan. Mars is probably the best board game I've ever played. The balance Fryxelius achieved to be able to generate consistently close games across hundreds of totally unique cards and variables is just astonishing.

More to the point, however: does anyone here play Gloomhaven? Basically a coop dungeons-and-dragons game designed to be played without the need for a dungeon masters or dice, and ranked #1 in the BGG Hall of Fame. Anyway, I've been playing the Jaws of the Lion coop with my son, which is basically an entry-level version designed to ease you into the world and gameplay mechanics, while also providing a meaty set of 25 campaign missions. You get four character classes to choose from, each very distinct. I went for 'Red Guard' and my son for 'Demolitionist'.

It's absolutely stunning, from the gameplay mechanics (combination of incremental/persistent deck building and dungeon-crawling/combat and inventory management) to the cheesily self-aware fantasy storyline including backstories, species genealogies, etc. Great quality components involving maps in a book format which I love, and tons of customization options as you level up. Also very scale-able in terms of difficulty settings and options for 1 to 4 players. Meant to be great as a solo experience.

Just wanted to share the love here and see if anyone else had dipped their toes into the Gloomhaven universe.
                  Last edited by Golgo; 24-09-2021, 16:19.

Comment

I really like the look of G:JotL and it's been on my wishlist for about a year and, quite frankly, you're not helping!

I have too many dungeon crawlers that I don't play already, but I love the idea of playing it like a book, so clever.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I really like the look of G:JotL and it's been on my wishlist for about a year and, quite frankly, you're not helping!

I have too many dungeon crawlers that I don't play already, but I love the idea of playing it like a book, so clever.

Aha, but the beauty of it is you don't need a dungeon master or even any other players so you need this one. What other dungeon crawlers you got. Descent? Clank? Don't know if Clank counts but it's great.

Comment

After backing it 100 years ago, Mint Control arrived today along with Mint Works and Mint Cooperative. I haven't played any of them before. They better be good, QC!

Comment

Co-operative is alright with friends and I've yet to play Control, but Mint Works is probably my most played game.

I've bought about 10 copies of it now to give to friends as we all love it so much!

It's worth making the effort to learn that because you can take it with you to places.
                          We've played it at the pub, waiting for a meal, work lunch breaks, at the beach and so on.

Comment

HeroQuest arrived. Holy moly, there is a serious amount of stuff with this. It's a remake of the classic board game from back in the day. I got the version that includes the two expansions and it came with a whole load of backer extras from the stretch goals.

Comment

One other very cool thing about this HeroQuest remake. They have released an app which can take over the Zargon role (the DM) so you can play with fewer people, all playing heroes, or even play solo. I've tried it out because I'm Billy No-Mates in covid times* and it's good!

*all times.

Comment

We've done an exhaustive set of tourneys of the Adventuring Party expansion in Clank, which adds six very distinctive starting characters instead of the generic starters of the core set. Garignar, Whiskers and Monkeybot seem to come out strongest each time in our plays, but the others fare very well with a good draw too. Hard to judge definitively though as we were playing on different expansion maps (Gold and Silk). Also just got hold of the Sunken Treasure expansion, so we're completely overdosing on the game right now.

Also, doing a second run-through of the Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion campaign with alternative characters, Hatchet and Voidwarden. About halfway through but we're having a less enjoyable time than with our first selection/pairing (Demolitionist and Red Guard). These characters seems to highlight the feeling that if the enemy gets one or two good rounds in the draw you are pretty much done with no coming back.
                                Last edited by Golgo; 27-07-2022, 08:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X