Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to play Santorini for the first time at an event a few weeks ago in a board game playing area. I am rubbish at many card games and more challenging board games so I loved this.

I really want a copy of it but cant find it anywhere available or for non-stupid money. If I could I'd love to get an additional one for a family member.

Comment

[MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION] there's a new Last of Us boardgame that's been launched on Kickstarter.

I have the original "Escape The Dark Castle" game and it plays like a choose-your-own-adventure story and is really tense.
      This looks like it's fleshed out a bit with multiple play areas, rather than going through one room at a time.

Comment

Not a fan of the game, but damn that looks like a visually slick board game.

I picked up D&D Dungeon Scrawlers for me and the kids to play at xmas. I have no idea if it's gonna be good or not. We'll see. Might pick up a D&D starter set in the future.

Comment

Ooh let me know. Want to get my three into it a bit, so something lightweight seems ideal

Comment

That does look a clever idea!

Roll and Write games are great, but I find they're a lot like solo games that you play at the same time.
            Everybody fills in their own card, then compares at the end to see who got the most points.

This one is more of a maze than planning (Railroad Ink, Welcome to Dino World), but great for kids, I imagine.

Been a shift in people at work, so I've been introducing people to some gateway games like Codenames and King of Tokyo.
            They seem to be getting a decent response.

Comment

Man, this OGL thing for D&D has turned out to be a real quagmire.

Comment

Yeah, the D&D thing was a real ****show.
                What a bunch of idiots.
                Crit fail.

However, my son is starting his first campaign at school with the D&D club today, so we built his character together, which was lovely.

Boardgames:
                A rotation of staff at work means different lunch break players, so I've been revisiting a mix of classics like King of Tokyo, Cash n' Guns, Rhino Hero, Sushi Go!, That's Pretty Clever and a few others.

Also been playing a couple of mystery games with them. I've already done "The Balthazar Stone" (created by the guy who did the "Goes Wrong Show"!) and it's brilliant and premium, coming in this wooden chest. It's funny to see people's cogs turning and going the wrong way, overcomplicating some simple ideas.

On New Year's Eve, the wife and I did "Hidden Games: Crime Scene - The Case of Little Gomersal" and on New Year's Day, "The Detective Society - The Cursed Exhibition Part 1".
                The former was more like a police case, where all the evidence is simultaneously given to you and you have to work your way through it to piece together what happened and whodunit.
                The latter is more like an escape room, with bits of the story being (literally) unlocked as you progress.
                Working out the code for the locked wallet was absolutely brilliant and a real lightbulb moment!

Games wise, I can't stop buying games and adding them to the "to play" pile.
                Sounds familiar, right?

I got Marvel Splendor for Christmas and I recently picked up 2nd-hand for pretty cheap Ghost Stories and Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. I'll tell you how they are if I ever play them. :/

Comment

Been playing a bit of Marvel Splendor.
                  I want to write "Splendour", but that's its (American-spelling) name.

Anyhoo, it's great!
                  It's like normal Splendor, but reskinned to fit the Marvel theme and a couple of extra bits like you have to own all the infinity stones to win.

Played with my mates in a nearby café and loved how quickly we got our heads around it.
                  Played it with my son and wife since, but my son is annoyed I keep beating him.
                  I'm not massively mean or anything, but I'm aiming for the property cards with cheaper cards, and he's aiming for the better cards too early.
                  He didn't want to play after that.

However, we've been playing it at work and never finishing. It says 30 minutes on the box, but even flying through, it took a few attempts to get to the end(game).
                  Love it though - recommended!
                  There's a real buzz seeing your team come together and getting cards for free with existing ones in your hand without needing the tokens, which are delightfully tactile and give it the edge over virtual board games.

We also played my friend's Kickstarter game, "Mud", which took some getting used to as there are loads of rules, but it's an American politics themed game of skullduggery.

Got to say the presentation is amazing, though, with a lovely magnetic box with highlight spots and nice, quality cards.
                  Would play again.

A friend kindly gave me a copy of Pandemic: Iberia, which is set in the 19th Century, so a little less, y'know, closer to home.

They also gave me Agatha Christie's Death on the Cards, which looks like a delightful social deduction game like Werewolf.

Comment

Any recommendations for family boardgames to play at Christmas? Any thing new on the scene?

Comment

Working...
                    X