Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QC, these are brilliant. That Choose Your Own Adventure one looks superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      QC, these are brilliant. That Choose Your Own Adventure one looks superb.
      You might like BOSS MONSTER!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I've also bought the daddy of boardgame dungeon crawlers, Descent, and a couple of bonus packs.
        That's brilliant and works so well because there's an app that generates maps based on the packs you have available and does all the Dungeon Master role for you.
        I really want to get Star Wars: Imperial Assault - isn't that supposed to be a reskin of Descent?

Comment

They are very similar, yes!
          IA also has a skirmish mode that D2E doesn't have, but if you're never going to play 1v1, it doesn't matter.

Most people on here say that just choose the theme that suits you best.
          My wife and I recently played the learning scenario for Star Wars Imperial Assault. We both loved it, and I think I might have a thing for "corridor wargames." So I looked into Imperial Assault a bit and found out it's based on Descent. I am now thinking of

I wanted Gauntlet more than Jedi Knight, so I went with Descent.
          Plus the app is brilliant, sees all of the add-ons, there are loads of them and the solo mode is supposed to be very good.

I really enjoyed Mansions of Madness, which is a Cthulu-inspired detective game where you investigate strange goings-on in a house.
          I didn't like that you go progressively insane as the game goes on through no fault of your own, but it's fun investigating and taking out cultists!

Comment

I'm going on holiday with the family in a few weeks and might try to pick one of these up for us. But it would need to be small and probably sourced locally in case shipping means it wouldn't arrive in time. I think we have a board game shop in town so might see if they have that Choose Your Own Adventure one. The retro stylings of that Boss Monster one are gorgeous!

Comment

House of Danger is in stock at Amazon, but yes, please support your FLGS (friendly local game shop), if possible!

Boss Monster has been out for years, so you shouldn't struggle.

My favourite small game is Mint Works. It's absolutely brilliant.
              Dobble is always popular, too, with everyone I play it with from kids to adults.

Am I going to far off-topic?

Comment

Oh and Deep Sea Adventure is tiny, but awesome!

Comment

Loving this thread. I was enjoying King of Tokyo and Bang with the kids but then Fortnite came along. Hoping to get back into board-gaming with them. I've just booked next years hol on the Isle of Arran so I'll be referring to this thread for something to take away

Comment

My local shop didn't have the House Of Danger one so I have ordered it from Amazon. We did pick up a card game called Sushi Go which looks pretty fun.

Comment

I wish that MB/GW could have continued to produce Hero Quest and Space Crusade over the years...

Comment

Hero Quest was brilliant. I still have Advanced Hero Quest in my attic but no idea what happened the original game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          My local shop didn't have the House Of Danger one so I have ordered it from Amazon. We did pick up a card game called Sushi Go which looks pretty fun.

Sushi Go! is brilliant! I can imagine the artwork is right up your street like a cross between sushi and Taiko no Tatsujin.

There's also a bigger version called Sushi Go! Party. Basically, there are more cards and you can mix and match them so there are lots of combos you can try. Personally, I think the standard version is good enough and the extra menus are a bit of a faff, but if you can be arsed it's a slightly better game, once re remember what everything does.

Played a game at lunch called Gubs, which is by the makers of Sushi Go!, Gamewright.

You need to have the most Gub cards (little monster things) in front of you by the time the G U and B cards are pulled from the deck.
                          No two games are the same and any plan you have goes out the window as random event cards get pulled out or somebody lures away, kills or traps your gubs. Recommended.

I'm going to change the thread title as it's changed a bit since the OP, which is mostly my fault, but it looks like we need a replacement boardgame thread after The Purge.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            I wish that MB/GW could have continued to produce Hero Quest and Space Crusade over the years...
                            General consensus is that once the nostalgia is gone, it's a bit boring, but some people still love it.

Similar games include:
                            Warhammer Quest: Shadows over Hammerhal

Wrath of Ashardalon

Massive Darkness

Dungeon Saga

Comment

Something I thought about mentioning earlier, but it's 1-player (EDIT: Blurb says co-op too), is a book called Four Against Darkness, where all you need is the book, some dice and some gridsquare paper.

"Four Against Darkness is a solitaire dungeon-delving game that may also be played cooperatively. No miniatures are needed. All you need is this book, a pencil, two dice, and grid paper. Choose four characters from a list of classic types (warrior, wizard, rogue, halfling, dwarf, barbarian, cleric, elf), equip them, and venture into dungeons created by dice rolls and your own choices. You will fight monsters, manage resources, grab treasure, dodge traps, find clues, and even accept quests from the monsters themselves. Your characters will level up, becoming more powerful with each game... IF THEY SURVIVE."

Comment

Thread title change.
                                Original for search purposes was:
                                Recommend table top RPG-ish board games for kids?

Also, I like "Boardgames" but "Board Games" is more common!

Comment

Working...
                                X