Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if I ever mentioned it but, by my desk, I still have a copy of The Awful Green Things From Outer Space (the small box version). I loved that game back in the day. Might see if I can get my kids to play it when we're away.

Edit: Just googled and, amazingly, a version of it is still available.

Comment

Sorry, I'm hogging the thread, but I'm looking forward to playing a couple of Kickstarters that recently arrived; Deadwood 1876 and Tortuga 1667, which come excellently packaged in these faux books.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.
        As kids, we had The Purple People Eater.

Look how terrifying this thing is!

Comment

Its eyes are like wounds. That's horrifying.

Comment

Anyone played anything recently?
            Learned and played Deadwood 1876, which was brilliant fun.

You play safe robbers out to make your team the richest in town, but once one saloon beats the others, everyone turns on each other. It's a great balance of co-op and versus.

I've just had a solo game of In Tenebris Lux, which is a gorgeous looking card-based dungeon crawler.
            There's a lot going on and I made a couple of mistakes, but it's atmospheric and tense.

Comment

I’m on holiday so we’ve been playing lots of Sushi Go and the House Of Danger game. House Of Danger is really interesting and a lot of fun but it almost doesn’t do enough to translate it to a game, so it’s really like all just reading a Choose Your Own Adventure book together. I like that and my kids do too but I think its appeal won’t last well. Definitely offers something a little different though.

Sushi Go is a hit without a doubt. It’s simple and a lot of fun and requires risk taking and strategy. We’re all loving it.

Comment

Oh just in time this thread. I picked up Sythe a few weeks ago for £50 and finally got round to a game last night. My other half and I sat down with a few YouTube vids of everything and what’s what and about 3 hours later it all started to click. It’s basically a turn based strategy & resource management game set in 1920’s Europe with mechs.

Fantastic game and looking forward to getting some 4 player games.

Comment

There is also a ‘junior’ version of Scythe, that was reviewed very favourably in Tabletop Gaming magazine.

Link to the game at Chaos cards ...

There is also an iOS version due out in a few month too.

I’ll more than likely pick up the digital version.

Comment

This thread is golden. Thanks to all. The Sushi Go seems cool and maybe a good starting point. I see there's a Donut version too! Might pick it up for Xmas.

Are the Pokemon starter kits any good? I have no idea ho to play Pokemon card game, looking at a card, it looks quite difficult (probably because I don't know). No good for kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                      There is also a ‘junior’ version of Scythe, that was reviewed very favourably in Tabletop Gaming magazine.

Link to the game at Chaos cards ...

There is also an iOS version due out in a few month too.

I’ll more than likely pick up the digital version.
                      Thanks Grover I’ll be picking up the iOS version for sure. Really enjoyed this and it’s a fantastic product that we’ll thought out & looks amazing at the same time.

Comment

I was actually away this weekend in Folkestone, where Chaos Cards is and popped in a couple of times (the second time without the kids! )

Lots of lovely things! I saw the Scythe Jr. game, but it's pricey.

I currently have my eye on Railroad Ink, but it's not out yet.

I bought my son some Pokémon cards and myself some Transformers TCG cards.
                        He's not into collecting Pokémon cards, thankfully, but likes the occasional packet. I'll investigate the new Switch game for him for Christmas.

The Transformers TCG card was okaaaay, but at nearly £3 a pop, it's a rabbit hole I'm happy not to go down.

Being away meant I had the downtime to learn In Tenebris Lux, but I also took some others, so I had some options: Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Tiny Epic Quest, Warhammer Quest: TACG and Descent.

We played Mint Works (my son beat me. Gutted but proud!) and Deep Sea Adventure.

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying those games, DT!

Not played the CYOA one, but your comments echo what others have said.

Sushi Go! is great, though.
                          Consider SG Party if you like that moment at the end where people are chuffed with their score but forgot about saving some pudding cards.

Comment

A few more Kickstarters have arrived and it's getting a bit embarrassing.
                            Like videogames, I'm buying more than I'm playing!

Two tiny and cheap games that fit in their own little wallet arrived - Sprawlopolis and Supertall.

Sprawlopolis
                            "In Sprawlopolis, 1-4 players work together to build a new city from the ground up. Using only 18 cards and a variable scoring system, the game is never the same twice."

Supertall
                            "In Supertall, 2-3 players are competing developers, presenting their plans for new towers."

I've not had chance to play Sprawlopolis yet, but I played Supertall with my wife and son and we all liked it.
                            The tricky bit to remember, it's not all about building a tower worth the most, it's thinking if it'll lose points in the end.

1066, Tears to Many Mothers
                            "1066, Tears to Many Mothers is an asymmetric, competitive tactical card game in the style of Magic the Gathering, but non-collectable. In other words, whilst we do have plans for other theatres of conflict as future stand-alone sets (which will be cross-compatible - see Future Plans below), you will receive the complete game in the box. This 1-2 player card game, designed by Tristan Hall, follows the momentous events of that seismic year in English history. Each player, as either Normans or Saxons, musters troops and resources to overcome the various obstacles in their way before their two armies clash on the battlefield at Hastings."

I was drawn to this because of the historical setting, the creator's CV (Gloom of Kilforth) and the amazing artwork. Just look at it!
                            However, they swapped artist halfway through, so I don't know if all the cards are this standard!
                            I might see if my wife thinks it's a good present for her Mum as she loves history and there's a solid solo mode.

I bought a couple of games off my friend who's further down the line on Kickstarter addiction and selling some of his lesser/unplayed games off.

Burgle Bros
                            "The creators of Wok Star and Paperback bring you Burgle Bros, a cooperative heist boardgame for 1-4 players and plays in 45-90 min. Designed by Tim Fowers, Burgle Bros requires stealth, planning and a little bit of luck. In the tradition of classic heist movies like Ocean's 11 and The Italian Job, you assemble your crew, make a plan, and pull off the impossible. It blends easy-to-learn rules with the brain-twisting puzzles and high tension excitement."

Legendary Encounters Alien Deckbuilding Game
                            "Own the first ever Alien Deck Building Game! Use Legendary moves from battling Super Villains to battling chest-bursting, face-hugging, acid-for-blood-having Aliens. This game features some of Alien's greatest protagonists, including Ripley, Dallas, Bishop and Private Hicks, as they go to battle against some of the most terrifying creatures in the universe. Players must work with each other to defeat the terrifying Xenomorphs!"

Finally, because I still can't seem to kick the KS habit, here are a couple I have my eye on.

Street Masters: Aftershock
                            This is an add-on to the hit game that turns side-scrolling beat-em-ups into a boardgame!
                            You get sooo much for your money, but it's still £85+, so I think I'll pass, despite the glowing reviews and enthusiastic fanbase.

"Street Masters is a 1-4 player cooperative miniatures board game inspired by classic beat ‘em up & fighting video games. Featuring over 65 highly detailed miniatures, unique decks for fighters & enemies, custom dice, and lightning-fast gameplay, Street Masters lets players match up powerful fighters against villainous organizations in a wide array of exciting stages.

Designed by Adam Sadler and Brady Sadler, the game offers modular and elegant gameplay set in a unique world of street brawling action!"

Rallyman: GT
                            "Rallyman: GT is a 1-6 player, roll and move racing game designed by Jean-Christophe Bouvier and illustrated by Loic Muzy. A modern version of the classic game Rallyman, complete with all new illustrations and fine-tuned rules, Rallyman GT will have you pushing your luck to be the first over the finishing line!"

Dark Venture
                            "Dark Venture is an adventure card game for 1-4 players
                            Play competitively, cooperatively or solo, a short game or long: 20 or 40 minutes / player
                            A post-apocalyptic fantasy world brought to life with striking artwork
                            Develop a hero by discovering new weapons, armor and magical items
                            Large 108-card deck featuring 22 locations, 29 characters and 57 items
                            Complete quests to win: 20 unique Main Quests and 30 Side Quests
                            A creative and intriguing story that unfolds differently every time you play
                            The map builds as you play and is never the same layout twice
                            Learn to play quickly, discover a satisfying depth"

Reichbusters: Projekt Vril
                            "Aliens! Mutants! Weird science! Gather your Heroes to smash the Nazis in this cooperative action-adventure board game for 1-4 players."

Comment

I think if you're getting into boardgames, it's worth picking up a few "gateway" games, i.e. games that make people think there's more to them them Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit/Pie Face.

My go-to games and ideal Christmas presents are:

Ca$h n' Guns.
                              You play a bunch of gangsters who are divvying up the loot from the heist of the century, the problem is, nobody trusts each other and you keep having Mexican standoffs!

We played this again at lunch today and it's great fun.
                              Everybody gets a little foam gun (with orange tip for safety!) and sets about dispatching your enemies and trying not to get shot.
                              Tactics go out the window as soon as there's a grudge to settle!
                              You don't need a drink, but it works if you've had a few, too.

King of Tokyo
                              Obviously, I love my kaiju flicks, but this is something everyone can understand - big monsters fighting each other.
                              It works as a gateway game, because there's something satisfying about chucking a load of dice and punching each other's monsters.
                              You can play it with kids without the cards, but they add a layer of depth for older players

Dobble
                              Such a brilliantly simple game!
                              Each card has 8 symbols on and every card has ONE matching symbol and everybody is racing to gain/lose their cards (depending on the minigame chosen). It's nuts because sometime you swear blind there's no matching symbol, but there is.
                              All ages love this game and it's a lot of fun.

Rhino Hero
                              Each player is given a number of roof tiles and as you play them, you have to build walls and put the card on top.
                              The cards also have various effects like change play direction, miss a go, pick up a card or move the Rhino Hero.
                              This is where things get tricky, where you have to have a steady hand to move the little Rhino Meeple without toppling the whole tower!

Comment

Small article on EG of the 5 best tabletop games at PAX Unplugged.

Last week I attended PAX Unplugged (which is operated by our new owners, ReedPOP). It was my first ever board game conv…

Comment

Working...
                                X