Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An amazing number of great recommendations from QC in here. You must have a serious collection at this point mate.

Really need to to pick some of these up. Does anyone here play ‘proper’ D and D, dungeon master and all?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      An amazing number of great recommendations from QC in here.
      I keep forgetting to mention Codenames, which is another great gateway game.

Two teams compete by each having a Spymaster give one word clues which can point to multiple words on the board. The other players on the team attempt to guess their team's words while avoiding the words of the other team.

The Spymasters have a secret map showing which words are their spies' codenames, the other team's spies and the assassin (black).

In the example below, the colours are shown, but only the Spymasters know.
      If I was the red team, I might say "Shove: Two", hoping that they would guess "Press" and "Force"
      The blue Spymaster might say "Clothing: Two" and hope their spies guess "hood" and "bow".

It's a ludicrously tricky game as you try and think up links for as many completely unrelated words as possible, without the wrong word being guessed.

I think the original is still the best, but there are loads of alternative versions like Duet, Pictures, Marvel, Disney and Harry Potter.

You're looking at about £15 and with 400 different words, you're never going to have the same combination twice.

You must have a serious collection at this point mate.
      I mean, it's nothing on some collections, where they have heaving IKEA Kallax shelves of games, but I've got a few.
      As I've said before, I went Kickstarter Krazy and I've got lots of games I want to play but no real opportunity to play them.
      I think getting some of the gateway games I've mentioned is the way forward for anyone interested in a few games.

I've got a drawer full of games at work:
      Codenames, Ca$h n' Guns, Startups, A Fake Artist Goes to New York, Deadwood 1876, Worker Placement, Mighty Monsters, Citadels, Mint Works, Mint Delivery, Fuse, Dobble, Fuse and Ticket to Ride: New York.

Here's my groaning shelves at home. Note the games still sealed because I'm an idiot and thought I'd be able to play more than I can.

Does anyone here play ‘proper’ D and D, dungeon master and all?
      My mate was insistent that we start a D&D campaign a couple of years back and I humoured him and it's actually a lot of fun!
      We've done three campaigns and are about to start the third - The Curse of Strahd!

I struggle with getting the right balance of character. My first was a monk with some amazing fighting moves, but if he didn't roll about a 16 in combat, he didn't get a go, which was frustrating.

Then I created a Warlock with a high Charisma to charm, persuade and threaten people, but the whole mission was in a dungeon with just monsters.

I did do a proper ballsy move on the end-of-game boss who was a wizard on a dragon.
      I teleported on top of his dragon and snatched his magic staff off him then caned it outta there.
      I'm also pretty stealthy, using the others fighting to go invisible and spider climb up to the top of a windmill and break in through an open window.

We're starting again with new characters for Strahd and I'm currently building a Cleric, trying to decide whether I should go for an ambulance, healing everyone, a vampire-killer or a detective, able to detect traps and grill people for information Columbo-style.

It's really overwhelming when you first start, so I suggest having someone who knows what they're doing would help.

Playing with friends might yield better results than randoms, but you might drop lucky with a sound group if you go to a club/shop.

There are loads and loads of resources and I've just paid for the digital book on the official D&D website so I have a digital copy on my phone and I can use the website to help generate characters.

It's a really enjoyable hobby and I look forward to each session.

For a flavour of what to expect, you might enjoy watching Critical Role, which is a bunch of voiceover artists running a campaign together and are having a blast doing it.

Comment

QC - (Board) Gamesmaster!

Comment

Magic The Gathering board game on Amazon Prime for £8.99 (70% off) looks like a good deal.

Comment

I backed Rallyman GT...

Comment

Not going to lie QC, but the image for Rallyman GT, where the drivers are walking to the cars is fantastic. And it’s also playable with 1 player. My interest is piqued!

Comment

The original Rallyman is out of print, but highly regarded.

It's only solo though.

This new game is up to six players and has the same attention paid to solo.

They've unlocked a load of stretch goals like a 3D bridge, loads of track pieces and an app with community tracks and time challenges.

I too love that artwork!

Comment

So, I purchased one of the games you recommended you cheeky little chimp you!

Labyrinth arrived yesterday. Put away for Christmas. I watched a video on it and it looks awesome.

Thanks man.

Comment

Ah great news!

It's a game that kids love, but I really enjoy playing it too.

Letting them pick any treasure card whilst adults only do the top card is a great leveller.

You'll have lots of fun playing it together.

Comment

I purchased a couple of Transformer CCG packs a few weeks ago. The main foil card in each pack is quite a decent size however, one of my Xmas pressie’s was the Metroplex pack. The size of the main foil, or Titan card to give it’s correct name, is nothing short of ridiculous.

Behold ...

Comment

I toyed with getting onboard with this, but decided it would be too much of a cash syphon.

They do look ace, though.
                        Not seen the Metroplex card: Brilliant!

Comment

The whole family got games for Christmas!

My son got Monopoly: Cheater's Edition from Father Christmas.
                          There's a set of five live cheats at any one time and it really changes the dynamics of the game. It's probably better with more players, so it's easier to get away with stuff.

I got Ninja Squad.
                          It's kind of like Tenchu with chibi ninjas.

It features minis by Soda Pop.

I got for my wife Chronicles of Crime , which was a Kickstarter that came *gulp* early!
                          I resisted giving it too her before Christmas!
                          We played it 4 player last night and really enjoyed it. It's a brilliant combination of board game and app.
                          You play detectives investigating a crime.
                          You look for clues at a crime scene using VR goggles, then start asking questions and following the clues to work out whodunnit.
                          Very clever!

Comment

Played some What Do You Meme? at a friend's house yesterday. Had a lot of fun!

Comment

Got Catan for Christmas. Wow! So much fun

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                                I purchased a couple of Transformer CCG packs a few weeks ago. The main foil card in each pack is quite a decent size however, one of my Xmas pressie’s was the Metroplex pack. The size of the main foil, or Titan card to give it’s correct name, is nothing short of ridiculous.

Behold ...

Whoooo twinsies

Got this from my brother at Christmas

He already has the 2 player starter set & as he works for Wayland Games & gets stupid discount we have also busted open a full box of Boosters at his house but he decided for Christmas I deserved my own Titan deck

Think [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] might also appreciate one of his recent additions in the form of this kickstarter that arrived just before Chrimbo

Something called Dinosaur Island...NO idea what it's about but he assures me it's going to be awesome

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X