Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about that Flash Point but if Sega did a Burning Rangers version I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Ha ha ha, maybe you could reskin a copy!

There's an app version of the game, if you want to investigate:

Comment

Played a few games of New Bedford now I've cracked the rules and it's good fun! It's a bit long for one lunch break, though, which is a real shame. Stuck with Mint Works the last few days as we're down to 3 players this week.

Just launched on Kickstarter is Scott Pilgrim Miniatures The World:

@dogg thang

Comment

Also launched is the rebooted version of Zombicide.

"The nonstop, electrifying zombie-killing action board game is back in great style, with 3 brand new products bringing Zombicide to a new era!

Zombicide: 2nd Edition features all-new art, miniatures, updated rules, fast setup, along with its well-known and acclaimed intense gameplay!

Washington Z.C. Expansion introduces for the very first time for Zombicide a story-driven campaign, full of flavorful and impactful surprises and choices, in addition to advanced rules, new characters and an iconic location.

Want to develop your Survivors and dive even deeper in the story? Zombicide: Chronicles - The Roleplaying Game explores the world of Zombicide and the hardships of living in a world wrecked by the infestation. "

Basically, CoolMiniOrNot was founded as a community site for posting images of painted miniatures for people to rate, inspired by Hot Or Not style dating sites. It later began publishing board games and miniature games, notable titles include Super Dungeon Explore in 2011 and Zombicide in 2012.

It was a massive success and they've done several different flavours since, including Black Plague (Medieval), Green Horde (Orcs/Goblins) and Invader (Space). They've also done a load of other games too like Relic Knight, Bloodborne, HATE, Rising Sun and so on.

Some people say they're so humungous now, that they really shouldn't be using Kickstarter anymore, but others say Kickstarter means you get more bang for your buck as CMON really throw in a tonne of extras.

Basically, I was blown away by Black Plague when I played it - it's like a cross between a board game and a video game.
          It's what got me into the hobby more and I love getting the chance to play it.
          I'm not backing this because I don't really have anyone to play it with (they already own Black Plague), it's quite expensive and shipping is crazy, however, I'd really recommend this to anyone on here who's ever enjoyed joining some mates for something like Gauntlet, Diablo or Left4Dead.

Comment

Anyone tried Catan Junior?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Anyone tried Catan Junior?
              No, but I'm a big fan of Catan Senior. No one ever wants to play with me though

Comment

I've only played Catan lightly on digital media. It's an ace little game. I think this Junior one looks good, although I'm not sure how it's being junior-fied.

Comment

Looks like a slightly simplified pirate themed Catan.

Comment

Anyone remember The Dark Tower?

Well, it's getting an update, Return to the Dark Tower :

Kickstarter launches 14th January 2020:

Comment

Because you’re a nerd, here’s a site which fills your dark fantasies...

Comment

Had a brill night at Chance @ Counters, the new boardgame café in the Birmingham Custard Factory.
                        Loads of games to choose from, wide selection of drinks (including low alcohol) & tasty food served by friendly staff.
                        We played Decrypto, Skull, Splendor and Dominion. Will deffo return!

Comment

So, Descent (2nd Edition).

It's basically tabletop Fire Emblem in every single fashion, but with local co-op. From the world maps and travel/shops/time/side-quests, to the various classes, combat mechanics, story and character upgrades/development. The main campaign plots you against another player (The Overlord) who is vying for the 'dark' path of the story and respective ending. He/she plays the game more like Magic: The Gathering, with a custom-built deck of cards featuring a stable of monsters and villains, as well as cards which can do really nasty things like fill rooms with poisonous gas/water/spiders and all kinds of other mean stuff like turning minions into suicide bombers or giving them steroid boosts. This deck is upgraded as The Overlord wins and the heroes lose. When heroes win they get experience points to buy more ability cards from their respective class decks.

Speaking of heroes you have four types: Warrior, Mage, Scout and Healer. There are several of each with unique special abilities and traits. Underneath that each of these four archetypes comes with a set of classes to pick from, so for example after you pick one of the Warriors you can choose to be either a Berserker, Champion, Knight, Beastmaster, Marshal, etc.. Around ten cards for each class, but you can't buy all the cards in a single campaign as you'll never earn enough points, so you always have different ways of playing the very same class if you liked it and were to pick it again.

It's great. You can even play solo against the app for the side-campaigns. I'm dead into it now and hoping for a full set with every single piece of expansion ever made for it. BALLS. DEEP. It's been enough to break me away video games entirely. Can't wait for the boy to be old enough to enjoy it (he'll probably think it's wank).

Comment

^^ Nice cafe, QC. I'd never be able to run a joint like that - I can't do with having people with greasy hands all over my stuff!! (unless I have two copies, then it's okay).

Comment

Well, generally speaking, people going to places like that are boardgamers, so will have their own games and are naturally careful with them.
                              Besides, they're tax deductible, I'm guessing, so it's not like your own possessions.
                              Everyone I observed were being respectful, though.

Really need to play my copy of Descent and that great review has motivated me. Thanks for the lengthy write up, dD.

In other news, we've been playing a lot of "That's Pretty Clever" (Ganz Schön Clever) this week, which is a "Roll and Write" game like a cross between Yahtzee and Bingo, but is a lot of fun.

On your turn, you roll 6 coloured d6, use one dice, discard the ones lower than the one you used and repeat 2 times. Other players use the discarded dice.
                              You use them to tick off numbers in colour-coded grids.
                              The sweet spot is when you get a bonus and start chaining bonuses.
                              Looks daunting, but is picked up really quickly.

Finally, my copy of Rallyman GT arrived! There's loads of card to punch and rules to learn, but it looks gorgeous.

Comment

Please can you give us your thoughts on Rally GT once you’ve got your head around it.

Looks the type of game I would like to own, but it’s dependent on rule complexity. Not sure my kids are ready to play too complex board games at the mo’.

Comment

Working...
                                X