Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

My kids are still quite young, my eldest being 7, but I thought I would ask anyway. Does anybody know of any interesting table top board games that are RPG style. Basically, that have a bit more to them than Frustration and the like

Stuffed Fables
    Stuffed Fables is an unusual adventure game in which players take on the roles of brave stuffies seeking to save the child they love from a scheming, evil mastermind. Make daring melee attacks, leap across conveyor belts, or even steer a racing wagon down a peril-filled hill. The game delivers a thrilling narrative driven by player choices. Players explore a world of wonder and danger, unlocking curious discoveries. The chapters of Stuffed Fables explore the many milestones of a child's life, creating a memorable tale ideal for families, as well as groups of adults who haven't forgotten their childlike sense of wonder.

Stuffed Fables is the first "AdventureBook Game", a new product line from Plaid Hat Games in which all of the action takes place in the unique storybook — a book that acts as your rules reference, story guide, and game board, all in one! Each adventure in the game takes place over several pages of the immersive AdventureBook. The book opens flat onto the table to reveal a colorful map or other illustration central to playing the game, with choices, story, and special rules on the opposite page.

On their turn, a player draws five dice from the bag. The colors of the dice drawn determine the types of actions and options available to the player. White dice can re-stuff stuffies injured in battle. Red dice perform melee attacks while green dice perform ranged attacks. Yellow dice search while blue dice are used for special actions and purple dice can be used as any color. Most dice can always find a strategic use, including moving, using items, or contributing to group tasks. Players can store dice for later, combine dice for stronger actions, or use them one-at-a-time for multiple activations. As turns go by, black dice are also drawn, and after enough appear, minions emerge or attack, and the dice bag is reset!

Players can encourage each other by sharing dice or their precious stuffing. In addition to fighting minions, each page of the storybook offers numerous points of interest, charming characters to interact or trade with, as well as many unusual challenges. And each page is but one chapter that folds into a branching, overarching story with a multitude of items and a special discovery deck full of surprises.

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
    Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia is a fast-paced, dice-driven dungeon crawl board game set in the Arcadia Quest universe where players control Heroes that explore three levels of a dungeon filled with monsters, traps and treasure! Bosses, special rooms and countless surprises await the Heroes, but only one can be the first to reach the final level and become the undisputed champion of the Realm!

In Masmorra, players get to roll and re-roll a pool of Dice that guides their actions for their turn, and a unique dungeon is created as players lay down tiles while exploring it and fighting off monsters that are represented by special dice! But Heroes must also be aware of opponent Heroes, as they'll be able to use cards to disrupt their carefully laid-out plans!

Hero Kids
    Hero Kids is the ENnie award-winning fantasy RPG for kids aged from 4 to 10. This game offers a fast and fun introduction to RPGs, perfect for younger kids who are just getting interested in role-playing games.

Dungeon Squad 2
    Dungeon Squad 2 will plunge you into the grim world of danger and adventure that is your birthright! You do not need parents, older siblings, or other know-it-alls to tell you how to be a hero!

Dungeon Squad 2 is a very fast, very light roleplaying game designed for youngsters with powerful ambition but short attention spans.

Some more suggestions here:

Comment

Oooh a quality post from a quality chimp

Comment

My son is the same age and he loves a selection of board games, but ones that particularly work well for us are King of Tokyo, which is fine for adults too, but if you take the cards out and use the energy cubes to buy health, it's easy for kids to play.

Labyrinth is great because it's a constantly moving dungeon. You're trying to collect treasure from the tiles. Kids can choose any treasue in their hands, adults only do the top one. This makes it fairly balanced.

Comment

Ah cool stuff. Thanks.

One other question that has just come to me... Are adventure books still a thing? I remember books where you had multiple choice actions that would have you change to different pages depending on your decision. Is there still anything like this these days?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            Oooh a quality post from a quality chimp
            One for the scrapbook!

Comment

Ah cool stuff. Thanks.

One other question that has just come to me... Are adventure books still a thing? I remember books where you had multiple choice actions that would have you change to different pages depending on your decision. Is there still anything like this these days?
              Yes, sir! Also, there are some board games that play on that vibe too!

Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger
              The classic Choose Your Own Adventure series comes to life in the narrative adventure game Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger.

Will you survive the House of Danger? Gather your friends for a perilous and laughter-filled adventure through the House of Danger itself. Make risky choices, collect items as you explore, and face off against dire challenges. Play again and again to uncover more secrets and different endings!

Escape the Dark Castle
              Escape the Dark Castle is a simple, cooperative game of retro-atmospheric adventure.

Players take on the roles of prisoners, wrongfully incarcerated in the depths of The Dark Castle. Whether it’s the Abbot, the Tailor or any of the six playable characters, each prisoner is represented by a character card and a custom character dice showing that prisoner’s unique endowment of Might, Cunning and Wisdom – the game’s three traits.

Embarking on a desperate quest to escape, the players must work together using custom dice and item cards to overcome the castle’s many horrors, traps, and challenges - each of which is represented by a large, illustrated chapter card. At the beginning of each game, 15 of these chapter cards are drawn at random from a larger deck to create a unique castle every time.

Gameplay involves one player revealing a new chapter card each turn, in a motion like turning a page of a book. When a card is turned, the next chamber or passageway into which the prisoners have stumbled is revealed. There is no turn order. Instead, players decide as a group who will turn the next chapter card, and there are often grisly consequences for the one that does!

Once revealed, the chapter card will explain the situation facing the group and what must be done to get through it. In the style of choose-your-path adventures, most chapters offer the group a choice about how to proceed. Bribe the drunken guards or attack them? Charge the beast or lure it out? Steal from the kitchen stores or keep moving?

Each chapter is a mini-game and a variety of mechanics are required to complete them, from RPG-style skill tests for an individual character, to push-your-luck dice rolling as a team, to the playing of item cards collected along the way to bolster the tactical abilities of the group.

When the players choose to enter (or fail to avoid) combat, all players roll their unique character dice simultaneously to make an attack against the enemy. They need to collectively muster the right combination of Might, Cunning and Wisdom to defeat the foe in question, or risk taking damage. Blocking, Resting, and the use of Weapons, Relics and Potions will help to keep the prisoners alive.

The goal of the game is for the group to complete every chapter in the castle deck, then defeat the final boss. To win, they must keep every member of the team alive - if any player is killed the game ends immediately.

Comment

Also, check out Rory's Story Cubes.

They're dice with pictures on them and you tell a story with the images that you roll.
                There are big packs with nine dice or smaller 3-packs. some are generic and some have known characters.

They've also recently introduced a full game called Untold: Adventures await:

Inspired by your favourite TV shows, Untold: Adventures Await is a pick-up-and-play, co-operative storytelling game where you play the heroes in your own adventure series.

The Siblings Trouble
                The Siblings Trouble is a card-driven, cooperative, storytelling game inspired by finding the mysterious places in your backyard.

The Siblings Trouble boils down all the core elements of an RPG (storytelling, exploration, discover, treasure, encounters, etc) into a fun-to-play narrative romp with your family or friends.

This is a 30 minute narrative game you can play as an ice-breaker, in-betweener, or as a way to introduce storytelling and adventure games to new players. This is not a simplified, beginner version of Dungeons and Dragons. It is an experience unto itself which leverages the fun of pen and paper games and lets players have quick, fun adventures together.

The Siblings Trouble is influenced by Miyasaki, The Goonies, The Hardy Boys, and even Pikmin. It is about Grabbing a backpack, a sandwich, that monster you call a “sibling,” and heading out into the wilderness, leaving the comfort of home at your back.

Comment

Ah mate, awesome infos. Thanks for this.

Comment

Ah mate, awesome infos. Thanks for this.
                    No problem, mate.
                    Us Monster Hunters have to look out for each other!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Yes, sir! Also, there are some board games that play on that vibe too!

Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger
                      The classic Choose Your Own Adventure series comes to life in the narrative adventure game Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger.
                      This sounds really good.

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
                      Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia is a fast-paced, dice-driven dungeon crawl board game set in the Arcadia Quest universe where players control Heroes that explore three levels of a dungeon filled with monsters, traps and treasure! Bosses, special rooms and countless surprises await the Heroes, but only one can be the first to reach the final level and become the undisputed champion of the Realm!
                      Is this anything to do with Super Dungeon Explore? As it has a similar look to it.

Comment

Great thread.

I’ve been wondering myself what board games that my children (11 and 9) can play with the wife and I.

I’ll investigate QC’s recommendations (nice work dude), and if I come across any others that pop up whilst doing so, post an update.

I’ll point out that my daughter has Rory’s story cubes (Scooby Doo version), and I wouldn’t actually call it a game. Good for 4/5 year olds to stretch their imagination and storytelling, but not much else. The price I feel is quite disproportionate to what you get out from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Is this anything to do with Super Dungeon Explore? As it has a similar look to it.
                          The first SD:E was published by Cool Mini or Not (CMON) and designed by Soda Pop Miniatures.
                          They went their separate ways and SPM continue to do SD games and ones like Rail Raiders Infinite.
                          CMON have the Arcadia Quest series and lots of other non-chibi games like Zombicide, Hate and Rising Sun.

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                          I’ve been wondering myself what board games that my children (11 and 9) can play with the wife and I.

I’ll investigate QC’s recommendations (nice work dude), and if I come across any others that pop up whilst doing so, post an update.
                          Yes please, SG!

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                          I’ll point out that my daughter has Rory’s story cubes (Scooby Doo version), and I wouldn’t actually call it a game. Good for 4/5 year olds to stretch their imagination and storytelling, but not much else. The price I feel is quite disproportionate to what you get out from it.
                          I was just saying that the cubes are a fun way to engage in storytelling.

The game I linked to is a full game, though.

Comment

Rail Raiders Infinite.
                            Just googled that and it might not have great reviews but it looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Just googled that and it might not have great reviews but it looks fantastic!
                              Long story short. I played Zombicide: Black Plague with a bunch of mates and it blew my mind. I wanted a shorter version.

Long version.
                              Black Plague is like a videogame in boardgame form, you get a stats board that's like a HUD with weapons, backpack, EXP guage and so on. It's a bloody good and tense experience.

So I went a bit crazy, trying to recreate that thrill but with a game with shorter playtime so that I can play it in my lunch break.
                              I discovered the boardgames on Kickstarter and went pledge-happy:
                              Masmorra
                              Rail Raiders Infinite
                              Tiny Epic Quest
                              Shadowscape
                              Legends Untold
                              (Not fulfilled yet)
                              Sub Terra
                              Mined Out
                              Grimslingers
                              (I backed out of this)
                              Farsight
                              (Only pledged £1, as I'd never get chance to play it)
                              Champion of Earth (Print and Play)
                              Escape The Dark Castle
                              Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game (not from Kickstarter)
                              In Tenebris Lux
                              Space Hulk: Death Angel
                              (bought at UKGE)

I've also bought the daddy of boardgame dungeon crawlers, Descent, and a couple of bonus packs.
                              That's brilliant and works so well because there's an app that generates maps based on the packs you have available and does all the Dungeon Master role for you.

The downside is, I struggle to make the effort to learn the rules and the opportunity to play these games are pretty slim because 45 mins lunch break is pretty tough to set up, play and tear down.
                              Of all of those games, the only one I've played is Sub Terra (which is brilliant), which makes me sad.

I've tailored my choices that fit the criteria better, but I'm a sucker for chibis or beautiful art. Look at these!

Grimslingers

Farsight

1066: Tears to Many Mothers

In Tenebris Lux

Comment

Working...
                              X