Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boardgames, Card Games and RPG Adventures (Board Games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

New HeroQuest funding campaign by Hasbro. Seems to be the classic game with new artwork and miniatures and looks pretty amazing. Very pricey though. Not that it matters to us because it's US and Canada only right now - https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Comment

Looks really good...I read the Polygon article earlier today, hopefully like Unicron it will somehow be available in the UK as I definitely want it.

It has also jumped 500000 dollars since this afternoon, when it was only on 100000, so fingers crossed for the funding targets.

At nearly 900000 this morning.

"More details on the HeroQuest relaunch will be broadcast during the Hasbro PulseCon online event, which will include an interview with the game’s original lead designer, Steve Baker. PulseCon will take place Sept. 25-26 on the Hasbro Pulse YouTube channel."
        Last edited by CAPCOM; 23-09-2020, 11:04.

Comment

Got a selection of expansions over Christmas, first off was the 'Adventurting Party' expansion for Clank: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...enturing-party

Clank is one of our favourites - such a great blend of deck builder/dungeon crawler - and we've already got the Mummy's Curse expansion. This new Adventuring Party expansion, which came out just before Christmas, adds 6 character-specific starting decks to replace the generic 7 card starting decks that you get in the core version of the game and its expansions. Characters follow some standard fantasy archetypes (D'Allan the Elf, Agnet the Dwarf, etc.) plus some less obvious picks (Monkeybot Prime the...prime robot monkey, Whiskers the Cat). Each is useful but easy to get your head around, and after rotating them around 6 games (3 players each) we didn't find any that were obviously over or under-powered. Balance-wise, then, it seems very good, but they are also distinctive enough that we've each developed our favourites. One character might allow you to stack your deck to your advantage, another forces certain in-game events, another gives boons for collecting certain artifacts and treasures, and so on. Another new addition is the 'React' ability, which allows you to...well, react to things that are happening outside your turn and get benefits that way as well. This adds another interesting wrinkle for player engagement.

All in all, this expansion really lifts and adds character and a little complexity to an already fantastic game, and it also seems to add a little bit to the playtime as well. I would recommend this strongly to any Clank aficionados.
          Last edited by Golgo; 06-01-2021, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            New HeroQuest funding campaign by Hasbro. Seems to be the classic game with new artwork and miniatures and looks pretty amazing. Very pricey though. Not that it matters to us because it's US and Canada only right now - https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system
            As much as I loved HeroQuest, and really wanted it just over a year ago, there's simply no going back after sampling Descent 2nd Edition.

In other news, we got Dune and King of Tokyo at Christmas. Dune is pretty pointless right now with no one to play with, but King of Tokyo is great fun - even with a three-year-old (I coach him on the strategic choices). I'm constantly surprised by the card synergies, although I'm spending so many turns aiming towards a 'build' that someone else wins in the process. :/

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              King of Tokyo is great fun - even with a three-year-old (I coach him on the strategic choices). I'm constantly surprised by the card synergies, although I'm spending so many turns aiming towards a 'build' that someone else wins in the process. :/
              You can try leaving the cards and saying swap 5 cubes for 1 health or 1 victory point.
              That's how I play it with the kids. They love the smashy smashy, but they're surprisingly tactical yet ruthless!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                You can try leaving the cards and saying swap 5 cubes for 1 health or 1 victory point.
                That's how I play it with the kids. They love the smashy smashy, but they're surprisingly tactical yet ruthless!
                We might try that. But then he's already hooked on jet packs, eating tanks/buildings, becoming massive, etc. We might just dish him out a few cards as a head start.

My wife had Camouflage and Armor Plating on our last game, and just tanked Tokyo for about 8 rounds through to the win. I've had Extra Head two games on the trot (because I like the idea of it, and want to utilise the extra dice) but it's not proven too powerful yet.

Great game. We got the Power Up expansion at the same time too, but there's no rush to further advance things yet.

Comment

Yeah, KoT is a really great game. Only problem with it, as you guys have suggested, is it tends to be over before you can buy/build up a good hand of the sneaky stuff. Some of those cards are so expensive you're lucky if you're able to afford even one in a game. Increasing hit points and score to 15 and 30 respectively can make for better matches. Anyone here played the King of New York variant?

Comment

My friend has KoNY, but I've not played it.
                    Got the Power Up! add-on for KoT, but we found it slowed play down too much for our lunch breaks, but it could work if you're after longer sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      My friend has KoNY, but I've not played it.
                      Got the Power Up! add-on for KoT, but we found it slowed play down too much for our lunch breaks, but it could work if you're after longer sessions.
                      Wouldn't the time extension allow some breathing room for the original card synergies to develop? I've not looked into the expansion's mechanics at all. I honestly only added it to the cart because the boy's favourite teddy is one of those IKEA pandas, and because it seemed good value.

Comment

I got these two games on a whim and they're really well made and not badly priced. I haven't played either of them yet - looks like the F&F one is a little complex but the Godzilla one is nicely clear and seems like it will have a lot of fun and loads of variety too. The design in that one is particularly lovely - everything like the cards and play bits have a retro Japanese Godzilla feel and the play figures are fantastic for a game like this.

Comment

Been boardgaming like mad, recently, in our house, mostly expansions on some of our favourites.

Most recent get: the Alchemists expansion to add to The Quacks of Quedlinburg. Works beautifully, lots of new cards to affect play, but in particular it gives you a distinct potion/cure to work towards for a patient of your choice that complements the more randomized aspect of the core ingredient mixing game. Altogether it gives more control, and combines really well with the previous Herb Witches expansion too. Really good. The art and component quality in this game is first class: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...urg-alchemists. Some people find this game too random but at its heart it's another deck builder with the same probability factors, only your 'cards' are potion ingredients and you 'shuffle' them in a bag.
                          Last edited by Golgo; 09-06-2021, 18:30.

Comment

Usual problem here were I can't face learning new games, but love buying them.

Played a few of my faves whilst I was away, Mint Works and Palm Island.
                            Palm Island is perfect for the beach as it comes in a waterproof hardcase and the cards are plastic, plus you hold the game in the palm of your hand, so you never need to put them down and risk them blowing away. I've even played this whilst queueing to board a plane!
                            Basically, it's an asset management game where you choose to save the resources on it, or use previously stored cards to upgrade it, gaining more points if you upgrade, rather than store.

Mint Works is still one of my faves of all time. It's a tiny mint tin, but plays vs., co-op and solo, with every game different because you never know which cards will come out. End game beasts will bankrupt you at the start, but mint earning cards aren't worth much at the end, so it's knowing when to buy.

Also finally played Pokémon for the first time. We got the game for my son at Christmas and it comes with a gameboard, three whole decks and step-by-step instructions. It was actually quite tight, but managed to beat him in both games!

Visited Chaos Cards, but didn't spend any money as the games I wanted weren't in stock.
                            Now they are and I'm going back again this weekend, so might end up treating myself and adding to the pile of shame.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the Mint games. I have a bunch coming at some stage when they sort out shipping on the Kickstarter for the latest one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                I'm looking forward to the Mint games. I have a bunch coming at some stage when they sort out shipping on the Kickstarter for the latest one.
                                Mint Works is so good, I've got all the other games, but they pale next to the original.
                                Delivery is OK, as is Co-operative (should play that a bit more). Got Mint Control coming, which I should like as it's the last Mint game from the Works designer, but has had a bad review from Dice Tower.

Mint Bid is also on its way, but I'll probably quit at that point as the Mint games were bought by another company, Poketto, and their Kickstarter performance is pretty poor.

Still, at $10 each, they're worth trying.

Mint Works is still a must buy from me, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X