Please help need Sony vaio drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help need Sony vaio drivers

Sorry to bother you guys, my friend has an old laptop he has for his kids but it needed a reinstall of Windows. I looked around and Sony don't seem to provide drivers for this discontinued range. I've tried installing Win 10 on it is that a bad idea?

I cannot locate the drivers anywhere I see scam links pop up on searches.

The model is PCG-7134M. Can anyone help me out here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any drivers you need in particular? I'd think the base Windows 10 would have pretty good coverage for legacy hardware as is

Comment

Really, Speedy? I hope that would be a possibility. It just needs standard wireless and audio / video drivers. I don't really use laptops so assumed you always need dedicated drivers. Thanks for replying.

Edit- win 10 hasn't even auto recognised the correct resolution or aspect ratio.
      Last edited by monel; 19-10-2018, 01:18.

Comment

It's likely Windows is using its generic display driver if it's not letting you choose the correct resolution. That means MS can't find a matching driver for the laptop's graphics chip in their own database.

The good news is that, while Sony themselves may not be providing drivers, there might be drivers for the individual components themselves. The bad news is there might not be any at all, or the ones you find might not work with Windows 10 or cause other problems.

There are some programs that scan your computer and automatically download drivers but I'm finding many with adware and other nonsense, or that cause trouble.f you want to try the manual method:

Open Device Manager, find the hardware you're having trouble with, right-click, go to Properties, then Details:

See those four-digit numbers after VEN and DEV?

Type those into the Vendor and Device fields on this database:

PCI Lookup is desinged to help you find the Vendor and Device descriptions you need to get drivers for you PC. If you are not sure where to start, there is some helpful information below that can get you started. If you are still lost, feel free to contact us, we would be happy to help!

And see what it comes up with. You should be able to google the description and find drivers that way.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks, Billy. Normally didn't Windows also locate driver updates via the update function, too? And yes, there's loads of links to driver apps that seem dodgy as hell.

Comment

Windows has done this for ages, but MS only has their own database of drivers to check.

Comment

Working...
            X