The King of Fighters XV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The King of Fighters XV

An old one but one worth going back to. The leak that outed (then was proven accurate) SNK Tag Tournament and the Samurai Showdown VIII originally also started that SNK had one other game in development:

The King of Fighters XV

It's said to be early in development which would make sense given how late the other projects are. Given how XIV was generous in content, where best could XV head?

After announcing Samurai Shodown for PS4 next year, I imagine they're going to do KoF game on the same new 3D engine they've done.

Comment

I really hope that XV and New SS are good enough to show that they’re finally worthy to give Last Blade 3 and/or Garou 2 the justice that’s truly deserved...
      Last edited by _SD_; 23-10-2018, 19:16.

Comment

Presumably they're capable of three projects at once with two main projects and one small project given the recent announcements and releases so it'll be interesting to see what they opt to do next. I know they're keen to make Metal Slug 8 but don't seem to know how to approach it so it makes sense commercially and with KOFXV on the cards that'd leave whatever presumably will replace SSVIII.

Fatal Fury perhaps? It's hard to see the Last Blade or Garou names being revived given they followed more popular stablemates so a new Fatal Fury that merges Garou and FF's plusses may make sense?

Comment

Garou was a piece of beautiful art. Im not sure about it ever going 3D. A 2D sequel would be amazing if they could limit it to the original style but wide-screen. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            After announcing Samurai Shodown for PS4 next year, I imagine they're going to do KoF game on the same new 3D engine they've done.
            Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            I really hope that XV and New SS are good enough to show that they’re finally worthy to give Last Blade 3 and/or Garou 2 the justice that’s truly deserved...
            I hope that both of the above posts ring true in the next couple of years. I can imagine a KOF XV with an improved graphics engine courtesy of Unreal Engine 4. The gameplay is always great in KOF games so if the graphics end is cleaned up somewhat it should be a fantastic fighting game if they bring it together correctly.

Tbh I don't see any official announcements (or even a teaser) for KOF XV until confirmation of Samurai Spirits' release date is shared. We might even get a third round of DLC characters for KOF XIV come next Spring at this rate.

In my heart I know SNK fighting games are fantastic. I want the general public to realise that again too though (that there are decent fighters outside of SFV, Tekken, Soul Calibur and Arc System Works titles).
            Last edited by Paddy; 24-10-2018, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              Fatal Fury perhaps? It's hard to see the Last Blade or Garou names being revived given they followed more popular stablemates so a new Fatal Fury that merges Garou and FF's plusses may make sense?
              I actually think that The Last Blade has more clout than people realise. TLB2 seems almost universally loved. I think a good sequel could be very popular.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Garou was a piece of beautiful art. Im not sure about it ever going 3D. A 2D sequel would be amazing if they could limit it to the original style but wide-screen. Maybe.
              People are going to maul me for saying this, but I think Fatal Fury would lend itself to a very good Power Stone style arena-based fighter; taking the evasion stuff that existed in some of the games and really running with that concept.

I wouldn't personally want to see a traditional fighter in that franchise because I'd be worried it'd feel too much like the trying to be "economical" with KoFXV - in the same way that Street Fighter x Tekken felt a bit steep at full price when half the assets seemed like worse-looking Street Fighter IV assets (which Capcom actually denied... Then later brought some of them into Street Fighter IV).

Comment

Kof XV i thought was decent I actually thought the graphics were ok but for me the only thing i did not like was the change in the Max mode ability to the previous game.

In KOXIII it was a mode you can cancel moves with a timer counting down (and i believe depending on what moves you did would take a chunk of it each time you used it) which led to some amazing looking stuff.

In KOFXIV all it did was during the timer would allow ex special moves.....and i did not like that as would much rather use EX specials in as normal and then it could allow for more mixing up.

Comment

I'll have to go back and play out again as I thought you could use ex-specials as long as you had at least one stock of meter? Activating max mode would allow you several ex-specials within a limited time, consuming a part of the max gauge for each use.

The use of max mode is different in both games though. I agree that in KOF XIII it seemed to let you be more dynamic (I remember learning later that you could cancel Billy's anti-air cane special from the HP version into the LP one, then into the Ex version. It felt very satisfying). In KOF XIV the ability to do impressive combos is still there but its hard to get it all down on a joypad for sure.

Comment

For anyone who's interesting, the DLC character packs are on sale for £7.49 each on PSN atm until 07/11:

Pack 1 (Yamazaki, Vanessa, Whip & Rock)

This Bundle grants acess to 4 new playable characters. Play as Whip, Ryuji Yamazaki, Vanessa and Rock Howard in the iconic 3-on-3 TEAM BATTLE system. Burn to Fight

Pack 2 (Oswald, Heidern, Nadj & Blue Mary)

This Bundle grants access to 4 new playable characters. Play as Oswald, Heidern, Najd and Blue Mary in the iconic 3-on-3 TEAM BATTLE system.

Comment

Edit: Or not

Comment

??? Now I'm intrigued. What did we miss?

Comment

I think NI, posted an image what looked like someone working on a cell shaded Raiden from maybe a new KOF. Maybe it turned out it wasn't?

Comment

What does KOF need to sit alongside the likes of SF nowaday?

I thought about it for 30 seconds and interestingly my first thought was roster size. However, this is something I've loved the idea of. Loads to choose from, but then maybe it's the overwhelming decision of which fighters to go with. Probably especially daunting for newcomers. I think SFV started slim and grew gradually. But then, KOF is teams of 3.

What you guys think?

Comment

Yep, it was that screen but it later turned out it was quite an old screen that had ended up being tied to something else than XV

Comment

Working...
                              X