Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that irk me, or at least have been irking me for a while.

We are well into sorting out wedding plans but, apart from having music on spotify or something in the sound system with one small area to dance our first dance, we are not doing the whole dancefloor DJ thing at our wedding. Why? Cause most people there will either be nearing or over their 70's/ 80's who probably wont want to and self conscious nerdy folk like ourselves who would not hardly use it.

I can basically hear 1-3 people from my parents generation and perhaps one of our sisters say we HAVE to have dancing. I can just see us splashing our hiring a DJ/ dancing set up for our rather small, intimate venue above a pub, DJ busting dem tunes like there's NO ONE dancing and those that are feel like they have to or when they do they feel like a tit an stop unless utterly pissed, with non of those wanting it bothering to do so. So that is that.

So the thing that has been irking me has been asking/ looking up advice what to do instead. I google ideas and find forums and comments with some ideas similar to what we thought, some unsuitable (big outdoor stuff) and some that could work. The annoying thing is EVERY SINGLE THREAD or forum I find, a good 1/4- 1/3 say you HAVE to have dancing, ignoring the OP completely, saying something of 'well I had dancing and it was ok' or saying something of having a band or musician in which TBH is slightly better but its kind of the same problem, you would expect people to dance, not just gorp at them unless they are weird. Just super unhelpful comments.

We are having music and people can mingle drink and chat like a dinner party would have after the food and I am currently looking into some table top games (I'm thinking the family version of Scrawl would go down well as our family loves the rude one), cards and Jenga as well as the idea of hiring an arcade cabinet if the price is right and the venue allows it (we have the upstairs of a country pub for the ceremony and venue). My mother will verbally hate the idea but I bet she and most of her generation would be drawn like a moth to the flame and have a go if it is free to play. My mum was skeptic about VR but at her last visit she LOVED it and is desparate to play more at Christmas.

Comment

I know you know this but I'm going to say it anyway - it's YOUR wedding. Do it your way, no matter what that is or isn't. It is your day.

Comment

Oh yes, my mum is a big supporter of this, except she hates and verbally says she does, every 'nerdy' personal touch I have brought forward. 90% of the stuff she likes but the (very few) nerdy touches we want she has been a bit too harsh about.

ATM the only 'geek' stuff featuring at the wedding are some music choices for the ceremony which will go over the heads on most of the guests, some of the flags on the bunting mixed with the neutral/ floral ones (Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry potter, Totoro etc) and our Master sword to cut the cake (cake I want to be special but will probably keep simple with small touches.) The sword is what my mum found out about recently and stopped complaining when my sister gushed how awesome it was going to be.

So apart from our first dance, there is not going to be a big dance thing. After the meal and speaking to everyone, we are not expecting many to stick around long after the late evening buffet comes out as little ones will be going to bed and the older ones will be looking to drive to their accommodation.

People who complain their is no dancing can go home, less spent on the bar tab for you then

Comment

I think fammydodd does a disco road show?

Comment

At work past few weeks been hearing radio 1, not listened to radio for years now....seems like during the day its the same 10 or so songs played ...every day

Comment

It's awful mate. And the music is RUBBISH. It's not just because I'm old, it's all about algorithms. People used to say the 90s were awful. Well...

Comment

How do your cats get fleas? My dog is always covered in filth but never has anything.

Comment

I'm not sure, had it five years and it's never had them. All I can think of is a visit to the PDSA about five weeks back, something might've jumped on him. Cos boy do they jump.

I think there's loads of ways. You can walk em in, they can get caught in clothing and jump out later, rats n' mice can bring them in...

Comment

...though I have not seen any evidence of the latter, thankfully, I used to live in an 1800s house and know what to look for...

(*crosses fingers, toes, balls, anyway*)

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      How do your cats get fleas? My dog is always covered in filth but never has anything.
                      Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      I'm not sure, had it five years and it's never had them. All I can think of is a visit to the PDSA about five weeks back, something might've jumped on him. Cos boy do they jump.

I think there's loads of ways. You can walk em in, they can get caught in clothing and jump out later, rats n' mice can bring them in...
                      I think they are just out there in the wild and perhaps smaller animals are easier targets being lower to the ground.

Ours got a bad dose last year from the kennels, we did the treatment and it worked but you just have to wait a few weeks for it to work completely because I think it only works on adults so you have to wait for all the remaining eggs to hatch.

She's an outdoor cat so does bring the odd one or two back but nothing like last year, anyway this year we gave her the pipette on the back of the neck before going to the kennels and came back flea free.

Comment

Superb! It's a misery, innit? You give me hope!

Haven't seen any fleas today. Checked the cat, fur is clear. Areas all blasted with Staykil.

Still feel like every itch is a flea. Keep forgetting I'm sorta letting my hair grow out and the hairs keep scratting my head as they start to curl.

It's my hair, it's not fleas...but my subconscious is having none of it.

Comment

Just spent the last couple of hours trying to make some chocolate chip biscuits that were a big hit last year.
                          I usually make a double batch to have plenty for work but the bloke wanted some too so I tried twice again.

First 2 batches burnt to a crisp in the oven, the temperature knob is highly sensitive and I must have accidently caught it when putting them in, burning the poor things to almost charcoal.

I now have 1/3 left I am waiting to see how they turn out. This is the first time I have tried baking in this flat since moving in March and so far I am HATING this oven.

Comment

Ugh, saw Virtual On Oratorio Tangram in the Deals with Gold sale at £3.29. Was pretty certain I had about £3.40 credit left.

Turns out it was only £3.17! How crappy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              Ugh, saw Virtual On Oratorio Tangram in the Deals with Gold sale at £3.29. Was pretty certain I had about £3.40 credit left.

Turns out it was only £3.17! How crappy!!!!
                              That goes on sale a lot. I bought it for that a while ago. Keep an eye out and I'm sure it'll pop up again.

It's a nice version - looks great in HD.

Comment

Yeah, I want it purely for that slick, smooth, colourful old SEGA 3D flavour. A barg at that price! I'm gonna buy some credit tomoz.

Comment

Working...
                                X