No announcement yet.

Your favourite new console memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was going to say one, then probably ordering a modified Japanese Cube from Lik-Sang (pre giant enemy Sony crab) with four controllers and Smash Bros and Rogue Leader. Not only was it the first time I'd ordered something direct from Japan, but it was the first time I used Paypal! I also had a display issue which led me to finding this place and asking a question about getting my picture in colour. Eventually worked out what was wrong with the TV (the AV channel was set to composite not S-video) before any meaningful answer arrived, but I decided to stay anyhow. And 17 years later I'm still around
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

lik-Sang were in China though.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Just powering on the Saturn was totally amazing with Japanese Saturn boot screen, never mind being impressed with the Saturn option screen and being floored at the Space ship flying around the screen,
        Yeah, that was really magical.

For the 1st time there was a home game, that had the animation and movement one expected to see in a Hong Kong Kung-Fu movie and it was so amazing to see that on a home system in November 1994, one really felt you were in the next gen. The sound too was totally next gen too, with bone crushing sound effects and a totally brilliant CD-DA sound track.
        It was a great feeling to see a top arcade experience running in an import shop -- then getting to show it off at home. Then a year later, Sega blew me away again with VF2.

How it was a new leap into a new age of entertainment and 'let’s go forward together'
        Yeah, the Saturn delivered in so many ways. It had stunning 3D games and top quality 2D games. I will never forget how incredible Sega Rally was at the time. I think the Saturn gets unfairly called a "failure" when it was a big thing in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          It was a great feeling to see a top arcade experience running in an import shop -- then getting to show it off at home. Then a year later, Sega blew me away again with VF2.
          It was better and all the more special for me because it marked the time I had the bank account, paid work and no longer had to rely on my wonderful buying whatever console or system I wanted for Christmas (which also meant waiting for Pal stuff) I was able to buy the system I wanted on the day it hit Japan, well the import shop.

It cost me £640 quite in Nov 1994 (which was a huge amount back then) and no amount of looking at screenshots could ever do justice to what it was like to see VF running for the 1st time on the Saturn. I get that RR was a better showcase, but VF and the Saturn was my 1st look at the next-gen and too see and hear VF on the Saturn in the 3rd week of November 1994 will always be the most amazing and my fav gaming memory.

It was just so special and the quality of the 3D (Yes even Saturn 3D was such a massive leap over what the Mega Drive or Mega CD could do and that's all I ever want on a console day 1 launch system.

Comment

I just have the usual Chrimbo stories, so I’ll change tack slightly. Years ago I went round to a friends house, and he had just got a brand new Sega Menacer. When I walked in, he had the reciever box on his bed, about three foot to the left of his TV, and he was shooting directly into the little box, at like a foot away. I burst out laughing, and asked him what he was playing at, and put the reciever on top of the telly, and set it up properly. He had played all through the games collection, all morning like that lol.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              I just have the usual Chrimbo stories, so I’ll change tack slightly. Years ago I went round to a friends house, and he had just got a brand new Sega Menacer. When I walked in, he had the reciever box on his bed, about three foot to the left of his TV, and he was shooting directly into the little box, at like a foot away. I burst out laughing, and asked him what he was playing at, and put the reciever on top of the telly, and set it up properly. He had played all through the games collection, all morning like that lol.
              Lol.
              I still laugh at day my next door neighbour knocked my door in a huge panic, asking could I come to see the his brand new Pal Mega CD has it wasn't working and not powering on . When I called in to have a look.. I simply said you've left Mickey Mouse in the Cart slot and thats why the Mega CD will not power on lol.

Comment

It cost me £640 quite in Nov 1994 (which was a huge amount back then) .
                I've never spent more than £400 on a console -- even an import 3DO was around that price. The Saturn cost me £400 with 2 games. But I know that importers charged crazy money for consoles during the launch period. At least it was always a great feeling to have amazing new hardware and games back in the day -- so the high prices could be justified.

Comment

The PSP is another good one. I got mine on JP launch morning. A couple of days later I flew to Dubai via Singapore, and enjoyed the envious kids faces on the Singapore to Dubai leg.

Comment

Importing a SFC with SFII. I was at Uni and had stopped playing games for several years because you know, I was gonna be a rockstar guitar player. Anyway, the student bar had SFII and we'd play it constantly. Somehow I'd found out that I could have this game in my home, located an import shop in Cheltenham lower high street and that was that. It remained a SF2 box for some time until Mario Kart came out and then we all played that. I don't remember buying any other games for it now I think about it. Anyway, good times. The 3DO with Road Rash is a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Importing a SFC with SFII.
                      Remember that time you bought an Xbox One X and Red Dead Redemption 2?

Halcyon days, my friend!

Comment

I’d forgotten about that!

Comment

My US SNES ran me £200 in 1991 so... not that expensive somehow! However importing some of the games...! *shock*

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          lik-Sang were in China though.
                          Ah well, Hong Kong? Yeah not Japan, was forgetting there. Let’s say Far East heh.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            The 3DO with Road Rash is a close second.
                            I know it's not a game people talk about, but getting an import 3DO with Crash 'N Burn was a gaming highlight for me. It really was a stunning game back in late-'93 -- enough to convince me to get a 3DO. But luckily the price had come down by April 1994(my birthday) to £399 with Crash 'N Burn. I will never regret getting a 3DO, even if the system was dead by the end 1995. My original machine is still going strong -- I was playing NFS on it the other day, but still think it's a bit too slow and sluggish. Although, I really liked it back in 1994.

Then I had to wait for Road Rash -- which turned out to be absolutely stunning and a whole lot of fun. Easily my favourite 3DO game -- and one I enjoy going back to, even if it feels a bit clunky in modern times.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            My US SNES ran me £200 in 1991 so... not that expensive somehow! However importing some of the games...! *shock*
                            It's amazing how cheap the SNES was in America and Japan. So that and the strong pound made it very attractive to buy an import machine.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-10-2018, 14:56.

Comment

I enjoyed getting a Super NES, because my mother randomly bought it while shopping one day, and when I came home from school on a Friday, we got to play Super Mario World. My brother immediately burst into tears with happiness, shock and delight. (He still actually owns the console, but uses NTSC-US console these days when he wants to play some nice Super NES games.)

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                                IMy brother immediately burst into tears with happiness, shock and delight.
                                Super Mario World.

Comment

Working...
                                X