X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randombs View Post
    These days I import UK games.

Crazy!
    I dream of a video or article where a Japanese gamer has been hell bent on importing obscure (to Japan) western imports. Imagine...

"and here is my LucasArts collection. Oh and here is my Football and Champ Manager collection!"

Comment

Wall-to-wall My Little Pony Wii games

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
        Wall-to-wall My Little Pony Wii games

"I'll never forget Christmas 1990 when I found this under my tree. The GX4000!"

I wonder, did this get imported?
        Last edited by hudson; 05-11-2018, 06:11.

Comment

Imagine if there are some hardcore Japanese people who imported PAL 50Hz-compatible TVs and played 50Hz games as they were meant to be played in 50Hz regions

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            I dream of a video or article where a Japanese gamer has been hell bent on importing obscure (to Japan) western imports. Imagine...

"and here is my LucasArts collection. Oh and here is my Football and Champ Manager collection!"
            There ARE shops in Tokyo which cater to this - or at least there were back in the 2000s.

Comment

Someone out there needs to make a video about it. The import scene in Japan from the 90's.

Comment

That's a really good idea there must be a market for that, there is for everythibg else in the world. People collect video 2000 tapes etc.

Comment

We joke about it but surely there is a market for it? We are fascinated over Japanese boxart... who’s to say there aren’t people within Japanese society who find interest in Maria Whittaker being plastered over the cover of Barbarian? Maybe there are others who trawl through The Bard’s Tale for the Commodore 64 in spite of the language barrier, who perhaps have learnt just the essential English phrases such as “start tape” and “stop tape”?

Comment

Guys, we need to make this happen. We have users here that reside in Japan.

Bordersdown presents...

Comment

...a photo of randombs's Lego Jurassic World box!

Comment

Bit of a necro here but been meaning to post one of my fondest memories for a while but due to work, life and all that, just haven’t had the inclination nor the time. Right, don’t laugh, but...

...One of my fondest memories was Christmas 1993 when I got a Mega CD for Christmas. Despite costing an absolute fortune - my parents had never ever spent anywhere near that amount on me before - I pleaded and pleaded to get it as a combined Christmas and birthday present, and though my dad never let on whether he would or wouldn’t, I was so pleased to tear off the wrapping paper to find what I had been hoping for after months of ogling over the unit, the games, the quirky import titles and all that in the magazines. I remember going into Littlewoods/INDEX in the run up to Christmas and they had a Mega CD setup behind glass playing Sol-Feace. Granted, it wasn’t the best game to showcase the console but I was amazed by the animated intro, the speech as the prologue scrolled up the screen (so much speech compared to what we were used to back then) and then I couldn’t believe my ears when the game kicked in and I heard the soundtrack. I knew then that I wanted one of them bad boys.

Anyway, a little bit of context. I was one of those kids whose parents would buy them a toy for Christmas with a set of batteries but never again would spend another penny on batteries so I either had to get lucky and nag my Dad for some if we went to the market (where they used to sell those crappy ones, six AA’s for a quid) which was rare, or just not play with the damn thing. Big Trak, RC cars, all that stuff rarely got used due to lack of power. Into my teenage years, my Megadrive was much the same in that I got one for Christmas in 1991 but never had a game bought for me. So I had to rely on pocket money, paperound money etc and given the cost of the games, I tended to borrow them from friends rather than buy them. I think by the time I got the Mega CD, I had Sonic, Strider (£20 in Woolies), Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle (£20 in my mum’s catalogue) and Centurian (£10 off a kid at school).

So with this in mind, can you imagine what a Christmas morning it was to add another seven (!) games to my collection? I remember rinsing Sol-Feace, Cobra Command, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe all day long. Even Columns got a look in. I think Super Monaco did as well... I remember the swimsuit babe more than the game. Oh, and on top of that I had been collecting issues of Mega Power and had a couple of demos: one with two missions from Thunderhawk and another with three Psygnosis games; Microcosm, Puggsy and Wiz ‘n’ Liz. The Thunderhawk demo I absolutely rinsed over and over - I couldn’t believe how fast and smooth the 3D was, and it felt like it pissed on anything the Mega Drive or SNES could do. And the Wiz ‘n’ Liz demo - I think there were three or four levels and it allowed two player - I played this over and over with my sisters and the snowy level in particular still gives me the fuzzies when I play it near Christmas. It’s that damn catchy music!

To top it off the Mega CD was my first foray into the wonderful world of hiss-free audio. As a kid I was never lucky enough to have a record player (my dad, who has always been a bit deaf, always insisted cassettes were better) so compared to my Saisho (what’s a Sony?) cassette deck this thing sounded amazing. My older brother must’ve been tipped off by my mum as he got me Metallica’s black album on CD which I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed, being my only CD and all that. A great album though it was, I still preferred my tapes of Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All as I thought - and still think - they are much better albums. But still, Metallica. On CD. I was made!

Comment

I haven't had many systems anywhere near launch. I've recently rediscovered the joy of new hardware. Last year I got a Switch, PSVR, as well as Labo, the Starwing Starlink set, and the Let's Go Pokeball Plus set. There's something special about having something more than a boring ass bluray case. Labo was especially good because it just oozes quality. It comes in a card box ferchrissakes, and the illustrations and everything are wonderfully designed.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            Bit of a necro here but been meaning to post one of my fondest memories for a while but due to work, life and all that, just haven’t had the inclination nor the time. Right, don’t laugh, but...

...One of my fondest memories was Christmas 1993 when I got a Mega CD for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              ...One of my fondest memories was Christmas 1993 when I got a Mega CD for Christmas. Despite costing an absolute fortune - my parents had never ever spent anywhere near that amount on me before - I pleaded and pleaded to get it as a combined Christmas and birthday present, and though my dad never let on whether he would or wouldn’t, I was so pleased to tear off the wrapping paper to find what I had been hoping for after months of ogling over the unit, the games, the quirky import titles and all that in the magazines. I remember going into Littlewoods/INDEX in the run up to Christmas and they had a Mega CD setup behind glass playing Sol-Feace. Granted, it wasn’t the best game to showcase the console but I was amazed by the animated intro, the speech as the prologue scrolled up the screen (so much speech compared to what we were used to back then) and then I couldn’t believe my ears when the game kicked in and I heard the soundtrack. I knew then that I wanted one of them bad boys.
                              !
                              Haha it was much the same for me. People can take the pee all they want, but I never heard proper real voices in a Videogame before and when I was showing off my Mega CD (well SEGA CD since that was my import system) all my mates were amazed at the Sol-Feace intro, never mind how all of them couldn't belive the visuals of Combra Command (It was even on Tomorrows World lol) and when I was able to play a music CD (Listen without prejudice it was) all my firends were amazed that it could play music CD's too(this was at a time when in my place people only had LP's and Tapes).

Best time was when the Batman Returns came, just after April 93 in the USA (I think it was) and I just came back from Livewire import shop in Cardiff and put this on and me and my 2 mates (who were there at the time) were treated to gfx that not even the Neo Geo could handle at the time. It played looked and sounded like a top end SEGA coin up.

Happy times

Comment

Working...
                              X