Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halloween Ends

No face melting masks for you!

In this interview Danny McBride has confirmed that following the immediate success of the sequel-reboot-revival entry that came out last week he and the other minds behind the horror hit have already started to be asked by the studio on how to create a new third Halloween movie. He says they had ideas but kept them shelved rather than get carried away and see their attempt fail.

One thing that is never a guarantee though is the inclusion of Jamie Lee Curtis who only agreed to return once John Carpenter and Debra Hill agreed and they wrote the film to entice her. It'll be interesting to see if she wants to return again but I don't see much of worth to the film if she doesn't.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 15-10-2021, 21:32.

I haven't seen the new one but, that one aside, yeah I completely agree and it's interesting that it's the case (and it's something I haven't really thought of before you pointed it oyut) - Halloween hasn't had much value without Jamie Lee Curtis. Although I do love the original 3rd one. But it's interesting that nobody could care at all who is in a Friday the 13th film or Nightmare on Elm Street and yet Halloween has needed an anchor, as implausible as it is that she should be in a whole bunch of them. I guess the same could be said for Aliens and Ripley. The series shouldn't need Ripley. But it really does.

Comment

To tie in with the title, I've always found it a shame that the idea behind Halloween III: Season of the Witch didn't work out, in that they planned to have a different stand-alone tale each year.

Instead we have endless sequels.

Halloween - 11 films
      Friday the 13th - 12 films
      A nightmare on Elm Street - 9 films
      Saw - 8 films
      Conjuring - 8 films

Now, before I've even seen the new Halloween, I know that Michael Myers not only survives, but so does Laurie Strode.
      It kind of loses my motivation to see it.

Comment

That's part of the issue I have with these films. They've wrapped up Laurie's storyline about five times now so for this franchise the canon really does mean nothing. I think another issue for Halloween as a franchise is that without the structure that hangs around Laurie it makes the films turn into mindless kill counts, that wouldn't be an issue except that Friday the 13th literally exists to cash in on that front as is more effective at being the same kind of film (given neither is scary) but without the viewer questioning Jason's survival to the same extent because 13th is much more self aware.

Comment

I think part of that is that the first Halloween is a much more accomplished film than the first Friday the 13th. So Friday the 13th hit a point where it could embrace the silly and the movies actually got better whereas, for Halloween, that's a big step down. The bar was higher which has been much more limiting for sequels.

Comment

It's a fine line Halloween has to walk as well, with no scares like most horrors would have and in being pretty low key it's hard to maintain suspense and all too easy to get caught up in one upping yourself or throwing stupid things in like the entirety of Halloween: Resurrection. It doesn't work at all for Myers whilst fits Jason perfectly, Halloween and Friday the 13th share a lot of DNA but Halloween could never have attempted a Jason X or Freddy vs Jason type entry.

I'll keep it to what trailers have shown - but the new entry frames things in an interesting way in order to justify the characters and their actions but even then it has to reach in places to accomplish its story arc.

Always amused me when people hoped for a Freddy vs Jason vs Michael movie, Myers would get slaughtered in that face off. The Freddy vs Jason vs Ash idea though... Groovy.

Comment

Halloween Though not officially announced yet, a sequel to this year’s “Halloween” is fairly certain and now horror master John Carpenter has confirmed he’s ready to write the music for the film saying: “We’ll be ready. We’ve all talked about it. We’ll be ready.” He’s also working on another compilation album, Lost Themes III, but […]

John Carpenter says he's willing and ready to return to compose the music for the new third film

Comment

i am a big fan of the original Halloween III - incredibly sinister film, with massive potential for a remake.

Comment

Confirmed for next year, Halloween III will be titled Halloween Kills

For 2021, Halloween IV will be titled Halloween Ends

Comment

Last week came the big announcement that Universal Pictures and Blumhouse Productions would release two new sequels to 2018’s successful revival of the “Halloween” franchise. “Halloween Kills” would be released October 2020 and “Halloween Ends” would open October 2021. The films would see the return of director/co-writer David Gordon Green, writer Danny McBride and star […]

McBride confirms that the two new films will have their own narratives but will bring an end (again) to the Lorie and Myers storyline of this timeline.

Comment

Universal Pictures and Blumhouse Entertainment surprised people last month with the announcement of not one but two sequels to last year’s well-received “Halloween” revival. “Halloween Kills” has already been set for an October 16th 2020 release and “Halloween Ends” will hit October 15th 2021. Now some more information about how these will work has been […]

John Carpenter will return to score both films

Comment

Former “The Breakfast Club” and “The Dead Zone: The Series” star Anthony Michael Hall will join Jamie Lee Curtis in “Halloween Kills,” the first of two follow-ups to last year’s “Halloween” revival at Blumhouse and Universal Pictures. Hall will portray Tommy Doyle, a character who first appeared as a child in the original “Halloween” movie, […]

Anthony Michael Hall will play the grown up Tommy Doyle in Halloween Kills

Comment

Two more familiar faces are returning to the “Halloween” franchise for the upcoming “Halloween Kills,” including one of the original 1978’s youngest co-stars. Actress/producer Kyle Richards is confirmed to be reprising her role of Lindsay Wallace, one of the two kids Jamie Lee Curtis’ Laurie Strode was babysitting in the original 1978 “Halloween,” for the […]

Sadly, Real Housewives Kyle Richards will be reprising her role of Lindsay Wallace from the original Halloween in Halloween Kills. Her return comes off the back of her approaching the makers of the last film and asking to be in it.

Comment

Nancy Stephens will reprise her role of Nurse Marion Chambers from the original 1978 “Halloween” film for “Halloween Kills,” the upcoming sequel to last year’s revival. Stephens joins numerous returnees from the original film including Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode and Kyle Richards as Lindsey Wallace. The characters of Tommy Doyle and Lonnie Elam […]

Nancy Stephens is returning as Nurse Marion Chambers in Halloween Kills

Comment

In the wake of the success of Blumhouse’s revival of the “Halloween” franchise in 2018, two follow-ups were announced – “Halloween Kills” for 2020 and “Halloween Ends” for 2021. With a trilogy planned and a third film all set to happen, it is understandable to think that the filmmakers might end the second film on […]

Jason Blum says Halloween Kills is now done and prep is getting ready for Halloween Ends. He also says that despite the two films being made back to back they aren't a split story or dependent on each other, they're each their own film.

Comment

Working...
                              X