Gamecube ‘Wiimote’ prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamecube ‘Wiimote’ prototype

Well you don’t see one of those for sale every day...

I’d always heard that the Wii was based on a system initially developed for the Gamecube, it’s nice to finally see it. Interesting that the sensor bar seems to connect via the memory card slot.
    Last edited by _SD_; 28-10-2018, 11:42.

I didn't know it had been designed for the GameCube before the Wii. Then the Wii ended up being a souped up GC.

Comment

This is interesting!

Just a guess, but I imagine they built the initial prototype to work on the GC as it was simply easier to test it that way.

Comment

I think it’s more a case of Nintendo realising that gimmicky peripherals never have 100% attachment rate and always seem to fail... they thought they were on to a winner so they based their entire next console around the prototype controller.

Still doesn’t explain why they cheaped out with the rest of the hardware development though; it really is a Gamecube 1.5. Yeah, they got away with it, quite fantastically so, but there was no real reason why the Wii hardware was so pitiful.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
          I think it’s more a case of Nintendo realising that gimmicky peripherals never have 100% attachment rate and always seem to fail... they thought they were on to a winner so they based their entire next console around the prototype controller.

Still doesn’t explain why they cheaped out with the rest of the hardware development though; it really is a Gamecube 1.5. Yeah, they got away with it, quite fantastically so, but there was no real reason why the Wii hardware was so pitiful.
          Nintendo have ALWAYS cheaped out on hardware except for the SFC. But even in that case they cheaped out on the CPU. Just look at Nintendo hardware history and you'll always find something more powerful.

Famicom - Master System
          Super Famicom - actually an exception but we could be dicks and say Neo Geo
          N64 - Saturn and PlayStation were far more versatile
          Game Cube - xbox
          DS - PSP series
          Wii - PS3 and Xbox 360
          Wii U - still PS3 and Xbox 360
          Switch - regular arse Xbox One, Xbox One X, regular PS4 and PS4 plus.

I think the only console where Nintendo really were ahead in terms of hardware was the GameBoy. Lynx and Game Gear came later from what I remember.

Comment

Working...
          X