Dolby Atmos on Xbox One, with Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolby Atmos on Xbox One, with Headphones

Someone please explain what to set where! I have the atmos app installed. I have the atmos headphone app installed.

Now, what should I set in the audio settings of Xbox? Then, in Red Dead Redemption 2 for example, what audio settings should I set there?

Cheers!

Also, can I expect this to give me 3D sound like the PSVR does for example?

Ta, Brad

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Someone please explain what to set where! I have the atmos app installed. I have the atmos headphone app installed.

Now, what should I set in the audio settings of Xbox? Then, in Red Dead Redemption 2 for example, what audio settings should I set there?

Cheers!

Also, can I expect this to give me 3D sound like the PSVR does for example?

Ta, Brad
    When using a Amp ( I have a Denon Dolby Atmos Amp) The Xbox One Speaker audio needs to be set to HDMI Audio Bitstream out and then select Dolby Atmos for Home Amp. For the Headphones (I have the Plantronics Rig 800) you select Use HDMI Or Optical Headset audio and you'll get full Dolby Atmos surround via headphones

Comment

Cheers. Do only certain games support it?

Comment

Not many games support Atmos but the Windows Sonic option is pretty good for surround sound gaming via stereo headphones. The Atmos via headphones is great for watching films with Atmos soundtracks.

Comment

Cool, wondered what that option meant. I currently have tritton ax pros hooked up via optical with their Dolby digital decoder (so, true 5.1) but it’s a spaghetti of wires and power cables. I’d love a simpler system. I have some nice sennheiser momentum 2 cans, Will they work ok? Just plug them into the controller yeah?

Comment

‘True’ 5.1?! They’re headphones!

I’m only teasing. The Atmos headphone stuff on Xbox sounds very good.

Comment

I guess they can’t really be 5.1 but they do have multiple drivers in each earpiece; I do get real surround sound out of them via Dolby digital. And they work with ps3,4 Xbox 360 and xbone and pc, albeit at the expense of crazy wires.

Tried out the Dolby demos in the app. It was pretty good but not as good as the trittons so I’ll stick with these I think.

Comment

Atmos and Windows Sonic are different branded variations trying to achieve a similar thing - positional 3D audio with a vertical component.
                Only certain games support them (they use the same API, so are interchangeable), for anything else that doesn't you'll get the horizontal soundscape instead.

It just needs to be selected in the xbox audio settings.

Comment

Cheers, Tomb Raider (got a free month of Gamepass) was downloading last night and I think that supports Atmos so I'll try it again. It wasn't anywhere near as impressive as the audio in PSVR first time I tried it though.

Comment

Cheers, Tomb Raider (got a free month of Gamepass) was downloading last night and I think that supports Atmos so I'll try it again. It wasn't anywhere near as impressive as the audio in PSVR first time I tried it though.
                    Windows Sonic was designed for VR, I guess it's needed more so that the soun comes from the right direction as your angle your head.
                    The only one I really noticed it in was PUBG, when planes flew overhead.
                    Assassins Creed supports it too

Comment

What cans are you using Brad? With my PS Golds on a ship somewhere, I'm thinking of shelling out for some wireless headphones for the X.

Comment

PS Golds via the controller now.

The Xbox One's UI is so ridiculous that I yesterday found yet another area of the system prefs whereby I could choose between stereo and surround and it was set to stereo. WTAF!? It's utterly ridiculous that I can't work out what to set where. I'm not a stupid person usually but I'm going to have to look this stuff up online. I currently have zero confidence that this is all set up correctly. I do know that the 3D sound is nowhere near as convincing as the PS4s. I do seem to have regular surround working though, using the PS Gold cans ( I have also used Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s and the surround works on those too (unsurprisingly) and sounds of a higher quality than the Sony Golds but the nature of games means that the bassier sound of the Sony's actually works better I think.

Comment

PS Golds via the controller now.

The Xbox One's UI is so ridiculous that I yesterday found yet another area of the system prefs whereby I could choose between stereo and surround and it was set to stereo. WTAF!? It's utterly ridiculous that I can't work out what to set where. I'm not a stupid person usually but I'm going to have to look this stuff up online. I currently have zero confidence that this is all set up correctly. I do know that the 3D sound is nowhere near as convincing as the PS4s. I do seem to have regular surround working though, using the PS Gold cans ( I have also used Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s and the surround works on those too (unsurprisingly) and sounds of a higher quality than the Sony Golds but the nature of games means that the bassier sound of the Sony's actually works better I think.
                          Thanks mate, I didn't realise I can use my Golds on the Xbone, I might wait until they arrive and give it a go before deciding on a new set.

Comment

Working...
                          X