X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 063: Gradius

Spin Off Entry 01 - Scramble
    Formats:
    Arcade, Vectrex, Gameboy Advance, Playstation, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and Tomy TutorBit of an odd start for the franchise as it turns out the original game is considered in some circles to not be the origin point for the series. Instead it's this 1981 shooter that is said to have inspired the series and appears in flashbacks during later Gradius entries intro sequences. Spread across six sections, players control a jet as it fights enemy forces across a range of terrain.

Mainline Entry 01 - Gradius
    Formats:
    Arcade, NES, MSX, PC and OthersFour years later, Konami launched the original main Gradius onto the world. Controlling Vic Vaper, a cross dimensional fighter ship who battles enemies to level up weaponry ahead of bosses whose cores must be taken down. The game was developed to repurpose Scramble materials and to try and make a shooter that would come out a better game than Xevious. The hardlined shooter proved to be another hit for Konami and the franchise finally had its footing.

Spin Off Entry 02 - Salamander
    Formats:
    Amstrad CPC 464, PC, Spectrum, Commodore 64 and Others
    This spin-off of Gradius soon arrived after the last hit and introduced two player co-op as well as a simpler system for power ups and a combination of horizontal and vertical stages. Also known as Life Force in western markets, the game has been heavily ported across generations of hardware.

Spin Off Entry 03 - Nemesis 2
    Formats:
    MSX
    Mainline Entry 02 - Gradius II
    Formats:
    Arcade, NES, PC-Engine, PC, Saturn, Wii, PSP and PlaystationIntroducing four weapon configs and a boss rush element from Salamander, the sequel largely followed in similar steps to the original and was met with a similarly strong critical response.

Spin Off Entry 04 - Nemesis 3
    Formats:
    MSX
    Mainline Entry 03 - Gradius III
    Formats: Arcade, Super NES, Playstation 2, Wii and Playstation PortableFour years on from the original and the third game hit arcades with players helming the Vic Viper through another ten levels that included a third person level where you steered the ship in an effort to avoid walls. The game ramped up difficulty by kicking you to the title screen if you lost all your lives, giving you no option to continue from where you had last expired even if you pumped in more coins. The game also played a role as a launch window offering for the SNES with a port that rejigged the game somewhat with levels reorganised, a continue option and an additional boss. The game was again well received and the only noteable knock it received on the SNES was that it lacked the visual oomph new system buyers expected from their new console.

Spin Off Entry 05 - Nemesis
    Formats:
    Game Boy
    Spin Off Entry 06 - Nemesis II
    Formats:
    Game Boy
    Spin Off Entry 07 - Salamander 2
    Formats: Arcade, Saturn, Playstation and Playstation PortableThis eventual sequel to the Gradius spin-off was a key moment as it was the first time the franchise dabbled with the inclusion of 3D visuals. Once again simplifying the power up system and pitching an easier experience to players, the game includes several previous Gradius enemies and bosses.

Spin Off Entry 08 - Gradius Gaiden
    Formats:
    Playstation and Playstation Portable
    Spin Off Entry 09 - Solar Assault
    Formats: Arcade
    Mainline Entry 04 - Gradius IV
    Formats: Arcade, Playstation 2 and Playstation PortableBy now the series had succumbed to the 3D age though the traditional 2D gameplay had held fast. With more modern standard visuals deployed the game offers six weapon configs with four of them being returning ones from the second game. The Japanese release included the series first appearance of an online ranking system but is notable for never receiving a dedicated home port, appearing instead as a double pack with the previous entry included also.

Spin Off Entry 10 - Gradius Advance
    Formats:
    Game Boy Advance
    Mainline Entry 05 - Gradius V
    Formats:
    Playstation 2 and Playstation 3The fifth entry into the franchise was developed by Treasure and remained true to the series classic design. Treasure worked to make Vic Vipers movement through obstacles and enemies work in very close proximity to offset how one touch would explode the ship. The game offers different lives systems and in theory is the most generous to players but the difficulty was pitched hard to please fans also. The market had moved past games of this ilk but the quality of the game shone through and it received strong reactions from reviewers.

Spin Off Entry 11 - Gradius ReBIrth
    Formats:
    Wii
    The last proper entry, it was made for Wii's online store and pulled most of its content from the MSX side series that had run in the 80's.

Share your thoughts and memories of Gradius

A ton of different versions of it on the x68000.

Comment

My passion for games started when I fell in love with Nemesis in the arcade. I still enjoy the original over 30 years later (I have the pcb).

The standouts of the series for me are Vulcan Venture, Gradius Gaiden and Gradius V.

Comment

I don’t think there is a duffer in the main Gradius series. Gradius IV and V are the standout games for me. The promise of a sixth part was one of the reasons I forked out for a PS3. Still waiting...

Comment

Really enjoy Gradius Collection on PSP (PSP does have some really good collections), I also loved Scramble at the arcades.

Comment

I don't even know where to start on this one. I've loved the Gradius series since I was a kid and I've played so many games in the series, and so many different versions of those games!

I was recently inspired by ExMosquito's youtube channel (and frequent trips to Arcade Club) to go for a 1CC on Gradius (I'm getting close!). I've also played Salamander quite a lot this year.

My favourites are Gradius, Salamander (I guess it was my entry point into the series, so I'm willing to overlook its problems!), Gradius Gaiden and Gradius V.

The Famicom version of Salamander has the best looking cartridge ever!

Glad to see a screenshot of the C64 port of Salamander
            Last edited by ZipZap; 30-10-2018, 22:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
              My passion for games started when I fell in love with Nemesis in the arcade. I still enjoy the original over 30 years later (I have the pcb).

The standouts of the series for me are Vulcan Venture, Gradius Gaiden and Gradius V.
              I'm so glad you posted.

This thread was made for you!

Comment

Enjoyed Nemesis on the Gameboy but once I discovered Parodius, I never went back to Gradius.

Comment

Gradius was one of the first arcade games that had me spellbound. I would watch people play it and think it looked magical -- especially the exploding volcano. The Amstrad port made me realise how much better arcade games were. It's a shame no Gradius games were ported to the Amiga.

The next game in the series I remember loving was Gradius 3 on the SNES. It's a slowdown fest but I really like the graphics and sound. The music in the bubble stage always stirs my passion for gaming.

Gradius V is a work of art -- even if it's a hard bastard. It's such a shame that Konami cancelled Gradius VI.

Edit: A mention must go to 'Gradius Advance', which is a really nice addition to the series.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-10-2018, 08:45.

Comment

I was probably aware of Gradius in the arcade, but didn't play it, preferring something like Chelnov: Atomic Runner or Side Arms because you could transform and combine your ships.

I recently played the Gradius arcade at PLAY Expo in Manchester and even the earliest incarnation of the series plays great.

So my first proper experience with Gradius will be the Game Boy version (Nemesis), which was brilliant.
                    They managed to boil down the arcade experience into a tiny cart, with all the risk/reward of balancing your upgrade path. I'd normally get a shield first, but favouring that over the laser could prove a mistake when the overwhelming enemies, that the more powerful weapon would have cleared, chew through your defences.

I absolutely rinsed the game, learning where all of the bonus sections were.
                    The graphics were great and a fantastic use of the GB's limited monochrome pallete.

It was also one of the first times where I found that Japanese boxart was so much better than the Western version.
                    Take a look at how naff the ship looks on the right!

Konami boxart had a clever way of putting the protagonist in the foreground, approaching the enemy, like the GB Castlevania cover.

After that, the next game I played properly was Gradius V.

Wow! what a game!

Gradius IV was seen as a bit of a disappointment because it had lost the second player and weapon edit modes of Gradius Gaiden, so Konami brought in veteran game developers Treasure to design Gradius V.

It's the first Gradius game to have 3D backgrounds, thanks in part to a graphics engine provided by G.Rev (Border Down
                    and Under Defeat developer).

I think the beauty of this is how it trickles up your ability to get through it.
                    Level one seems incredibly long and when you meet the first boss, he traps you in a hoop.
                    With bubble bullets.
                    And lasers that trap you.
                    Then it starts rotating!

I was struggling a bit, using the control style that lets you freeze the Options in place, so I watched a video that showed you can use a method that lets you hold down R1 and actually direct where the options are shooting, making attacking enemies that are anywhere else other than in front of you a target. Take that, rotating boss of doom!

Some pro playthroughs favour Double or Ripple over Laser, though:

This game is still HARD , though.
                    I've still not completed it, even on easiest mode with multiple credits (I've not unlocked infinite yet), but each play through sees you inch a bit closer to victory.

There's a clever plot device where you're approaching a base when another Vic Viper appears and helps you as it takes a different path through the base. As you play, you time-travel back to that point and you play that other ship. Clever!

The only thing missing are the Moais!

This is a rare shmup for me that is beyond my capabilities, but I still want to keep playing to see everything the game has to offer.

I prefer the mechs of Zero Gunner 2, but it's nowhere near as satisfying when you beat a Gradius V boss.

Are there any other games as good as Gradius V? Seems like that perfect storm.

Bonus points for the lovely Vic Viper ship:

Anyone interested in Konami shooters, should check out the book of that name by HG101's Kurt Kulata.

I downloaded and printed the .pdf from Selfy for a fiver.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 31-10-2018, 10:21. Reason: Done editing now!

Comment

Records revived the next thread clue is...

Clue - Time for a satisfying Toastie!

Comment

Working...
                      X