The 7th Guest - Virgin - 1993

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Konami - 1993

Demon's Crest - Konami - 1994

Darkstalkers - Capcom - 1994

Clock Tower - Human Entertainment - 1995

The House of the Dead 1 & 2 - Sega - 1996 & 1998

Zombie Revenge - Sega - 1999

Which one do you like the most?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-10-2018, 09:21.

Zombies ate my neighbours is a clear winner for me. It's a game I still go back to fairly regularly and enjoy immensely. And then just behind that a special mention for the first time I saw house of the dead 2 running on an import Japanese Dreamcast at a computer fair and immediately forked out too much money for one.

Comment

"You should have put game x in that list, not game y!"

I prefer the graphical charm of Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure to Decapattack (and the excellent name), but it's still a good platformer.

I do like Darkstalkers (I mainly play the Dracula guy), but there are more moves than I can master!

I can't remember playing Splatterhouse 2. I think I went straight to 3.

I've never heard of Undead Line, so I've just watched a video and it looks great.
      A mix of Twinkle Tale with monsters!
      Apparently it never had a Western release, but got a fan translation in 2007.
      I might see if it's on my Coinops Xbox.
      Thanks, Leon!

Look at that parallax scrolling!

Comment

Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the MD- Its an utter classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Zombies ate my neighbours is a clear winner for me. It's a game I still go back to fairly regularly and enjoy immensely.
          I'll never forget how much I appreciated the theme and all the details that went into crafting such a fun game. A really impressive 16-bit experience.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          a special mention for the first time I saw house of the dead 2 running on an import Japanese Dreamcast at a computer fair and immediately forked out too much money for one.
          I remember getting the Japanese version that came with a gun and playing it every day for weeks because it was tough to master but always fun to try and get better at.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          "You should have put game x in that list, not game y!"
          I am expectantly waiting for a few of those...

I prefer the graphical charm of Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure to Decapattack (and the excellent name), but it's still a good platformer.
          I also prefer what Magical Hat has to offer, but Decap is a nice alternative. I'm happy to play either.

I can't remember playing Splatterhouse 2. I think I went straight to 3.
          I prefer #2, as it's more straightforward like the first game. #3 has you going through doors trying to find a path through the game.

I've never heard of Undead Line, so I've just watched a video and it looks great.

A mix of Twinkle Tale with monsters!

Look at that parallax scrolling!
          It's a great gem of a game for the MD. It's very much Twinkle Tale with spooky stuff going on. And it also has impressive graphics and sound. I wish I had bought a copy years ago.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the MD- Its an utter classic.
          Yeah, a great version of the game.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-10-2018, 11:53.

Comment

I know it's not included, but as I rarely get the chance to mention it, I have very fond memories of playing Enemy Zero one Halloween - the Saturn game (though I played it on PC). **** me right up. One of the few genuinely scary games I played back then (I never thought the Resident Evil series and its ilk were particularly scary).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I know it's not included, but as I rarely get the chance to mention it, I have very fond memories of playing Enemy Zero one Halloween - the Saturn game (though I played it on PC). **** me right up.

One of the few genuinely scary games I played back
              Well, it's always fine to mention alternatives to what I've listed. I appreciate that, as long as someone appreciates that these threads are all about me choosing a certain amount of games to pit against each other. It's never about "What's the best in the genre?" as that wouldn't leave room for loads of different Arena threads.

I'll take a look at Enemy Zero -- I have memories of seeing it back in the day but haven't played it. Sounds like it might be something really special for people who like horror games.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-10-2018, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                I know it's not included, but as I rarely get the chance to mention it, I have very fond memories of playing Enemy Zero one Halloween - the Saturn game (though I played it on PC). **** me right up. One of the few genuinely scary games I played back then (I never thought the Resident Evil series and its ilk were particularly scary).
                It was amazing game, more so to me being a fan of Alien and Aliens. It really was a scary game to play in the dark so well made and designed too. I also really loved Cold Fear, Alone in the Dark IV and Deep Fear and all those games never seem to get the credit they deserve

I always remember the massage you got if you played Enemy Zero on New Years Eve, it was such a nice touch. WARP were such a cool corp back inthe day

Comment

Anyone else play Nightmare Creatures on the PS One?

That had some spooky whisper chanting in the background that was really unnerving with headphones on!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Darkstalkers series FTW! Although my personal choice would be Nightmare in the Dark...

Comment

I’ve not played all of those, but of the selection I’d have to go with HOTD 2. A tremendous lightgun game, although the boss rush at the end does get pretty unfair. The second time you fight Magician he’s just ludicrously bullet spongey.

Clock Tower is a series I really want to get into. Sidebar - which one is considered the best?

Nice shout out on Enemy Zero @Asura. I’ve got that to play and I’m looking forward to it.

Speaking of Warp, my ‘off list’ choice would be D. Painfully slow paced but rewardingly weird and genuinely creepy.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X