The Meg 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Meg 2

Producer Catherine Xujun Ying has acknowledged that a sequel to this summer’s giant prehistoric shark movie “The Meg” is in the works. At present the film hasn’t set any screenwriters and the project isn’t officially greenlit by Warner Bros. Pictures. Nevertheless, it seems to be happening. Speaking yesterday at the Los Angeles Skirball Center’s U.S.-China […]

The producer of the first film has confirmed the inevitable, talks have begun for the surprise hit of the summer The Meg.

It had been knocked around that twenty years of development costs meant the original had to reach the impossible figure of making $400m to turn a profit, in the end it accomplished $527.8m. Without those lengthy development costs a sequel could potentially make more money even if business dropped of a bit.

The Meg? What the...... Sometimes living in Japan is like living on another planet. I've never heard of this movie. It certainly wasn't publicised over here yet it grossed over 500million? Crazy money.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      It had been knocked around that twenty years of development costs
      I thought that was hyperbole, but the book was written in 1997 and a film planned from the start!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        The Meg? What the...... Sometimes living in Japan is like living on another planet. I've never heard of this movie. It certainly wasn't publicised over here yet it grossed over 500million? Crazy money.
        Interesting, because it was heavily promoted over here with ads in the World Cup and everything.

It came out slightly later in September in Japan with the English name "Meg: The Monster".

It's a joint American/Chinese production, the most successful ever in fact, so would that play a part in the limited promotion there?
        Are Chinese films given short thrift?
        You'd have thought Japanese audiences would have lapped up a film about a giant monster!

Every Japanese character in the book was re-written as Chinese!

Comment

It was actually a surprisingly good movie. I went to see it when I had to wait 4 hours for a train, and dived into the cinema opposite the station and it was the only thing on. I ended up really liking it.

Comment

Is it really a "good" film, Asura? Or just a bad fun movie?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Interesting, because it was heavily promoted over here with ads in the World Cup and everything.

It came out slightly later in September in Japan with the English name "Meg: The Monster".

It's a joint American/Chinese production, the most successful ever in fact, so would that play a part in the limited promotion there?
              You'd have thought Japanese audiences would have lapped up a film about a giant monster!

Short shrift.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                It's both.

I guess it's like Pacific Rim, in that it's fun, action-packed, and critically, it doesn't take 3 hours to tell a 90-minute story.

It's a kitchy shark horror/action flick. Just I think it's the best it can be within the confines of its medium.

You know how Speed is a daft action movie, but the critics liked it because it was extremely well-made, well-directed, and tightly scripted? The Meg is like that.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Yeah, that's what is so strange. They normally go big for Monster movies over here. Probably the Chinese connection is the reason why it wasn't promoted. China are real dicks when concerning Japan to be honest.
                  The new film based on Queen, Bohemian is being pushed big time by fox though. Comes out here on November 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                    No it isn't - the script is awful, the acting is terrible and it's a total Jaws ripoff.

Comment

Working...
                    X