No announcement yet.

Red Dead Redemption II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a carved out message in a dressing table drawer: «Vanity its all vanity» and wonder if it was a message from a dev!

Comment

27 hours in now, it is very addictive and a time consumer, so be aware of that.

There are issues with the game: Controls, Clunky mechanics when selecting things, missions that can sometimes feel overly scripted/controlling. Questionable chores and lengthy animations. All of these issues are real and will irritate, particularly in the first 10 hours.

Then the game opens up, the mission design and diversity greatly improves and you find yourself in a living breathing dynamic world, as part of an outlaw family and criminal in a harsh world. AI is just a series of scripts and algorithms, but this is the first time I can remember being «tricked» that NPCs dont just seem to have a simple desicion tree, I never quite know how they will react. Just travelling across the world keeps turning up new mini quests. Small side missions turn into complex and diverse objectives and each time it happens it takes me by surprise. Revisiting old locations opens new quests.

Based on 49% main story and my time with it, the negatives are quickly forgiven, and this has all the makings of a 10.

If you gave up early, give the game more time - it has been worth it!

Comment

It's been nearly a week I think since I put it on, feels like such an effort to sink time into yet I know I'll enjoy it if I do. Never had this with a Rockstar game, even the ones I was colder on. Unless things change I think the controls will eventually be instrumental in stopping this from getting a 10 from me, R* can put all the bells and whistles they want in but getting the fundamentals of gaming wrong is unforgiveable and too often the game fights you at really stupid moments.

Comment

It is a massive time sink. After a typical 2 hours on it (a lot for me these days) I don't feel like I've particularly done much. Going from mission to mission might help but goes against the ethos of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            It is a massive time sink. After a typical 2 hours on it (a lot for me these days) I don't feel like I've particularly done much. Going from mission to mission might help but goes against the ethos of the game.
            Yes, it is & quite a different commitment than my latest game experience with Spiderman. It is very easy to lose yourself in the world and time flies past. In that sense its not a good game for those of us with limited time available. I myself have found some evenings and down time, but will focus on the story now, or trickle play it. Have used up winter game time goodwill already.....

Comment

My plans fell through last night and I managed to get back in the Wild Wild West.

I realised that my map is still pretty foggy, so set about exploring the map and having a mooch.
              I mainly put a waypoint into the map and cinematically followed the path and stopped if I found something.

I do have a habit of breaking stuff though. :/

"Hey mister can you help me?"
              *scrambles to slow down and get out of cinematic mode. Slightly nudges guy with horse*
              "I'm gunna git ya!"
              *Returns fire, kills man, gets wanted status*

*sees whistling gold panhandler*
              "You ain't gonna find anything here but mud!"
              *walks away, accidentally knocking bucket over*
              "I'm gunna git ya!"
              *Returns fire, kills man, gets wanted status*

*Sees abandoned camp, starts looting*
              "Hey! Whut are you doing?!"
              *Regrets stealing apple, gets on horse and rides off, gets wanted status*

I found some invisible walls in the mountains too. Slopes I should be able to walk up, but kept sliding down.

Stuff seems to keep finding me too.
              By the time I'd finished mooching, I took to the trapper the skins of a legendary wolf, normal wolf and grizzly bear because they kept looking for trouble.

I found some interesting locations and enjoyed just exploring.

Did a mission where I have to infiltrate an O'Driscoll base.
              On the first attempt, I seemed to kill the first few guys stealthily, then got seen and all hell broke loose.
              Started the mission again (with the five minute ride to the base) and got seen even earlier.
              Started the mission again (with the five minute ride to the base) and got seen again.
              Started the mission again (with the five minute ride to the base), got seen, did it the loud way, looted the corpses and dropped one on a campfire. Corpse set alight and the fire spread to the mission-vital NPC, who just let the flames consume him. MISSION FAILED.
              Started the mission again (with the five minute ride to the base) and just finished it the noisy way.

I need to stop trying to ace the missions and just accept what happens and it's part of my story or I'm NEVER going to finish this!

Comment

I managed a couple of hours on the game yesterday and I'm now sitting around 20% done according to the save file yet according to a walkthrough I saw online I'm only halfway through Chapter 2. I've discovered I'm very wary of people I meet on the road, they'll ask for help and I'll listen to them but I'll never stand close to them and they as much as twitch at me and they get a headshot.

I've also come to the decision that I hate Dutch. Can't say why, he just reeks of being a massive p**** and I hate that he's in charge. I don't trust him, he just seems to sit on his backside all the time, wearing the fanciest duds and then eventually come up with some hair brained scheme that endangers everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  I managed a couple of hours on the game yesterday and I'm now sitting around 20% done according to the save file yet according to a walkthrough I saw online I'm only halfway through Chapter 2. I've discovered I'm very wary of people I meet on the road, they'll ask for help and I'll listen to them but I'll never stand close to them and they as much as twitch at me and they get a headshot.

I've also come to the decision that I hate Dutch. Can't say why, he just reeks of being a massive p**** and I hate that he's in charge. I don't trust him, he just seems to sit on his backside all the time, wearing the fanciest duds and then eventually come up with some hair brained scheme that endangers everyone.
                  I've also become paranoid of strangers out in the sticks asking for help, always ends up with me putting a bullet in their heads just to be on the safe side.

Yep detest dutch also, along with micha, both have to go as they are toxic as fook.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking Dutch is a douchebag.
                    He got his name from giving whores a Dutch Oven after sex.

It's impressive a game makes you give a damn, tbh.

I also dislike him because he really reminds me of Ed Logan from Godless, who is also a prize douche.

Comment

Similar experiences here. Did a few missions last night, which helped with the feelings of accomplishment but also gives you scripted event fatigue. It is almost like playing Uncharted at times!

This annoyed me: Went to rob a house with the Irish guy. He screams "There's more coming out of the woods!" so I shoot a guy I see. "You shot the last one...can't find the hidden treasure." Bah! Is there any way to restart a mission during it? Not sure this counts as a mission, though.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                        Similar experiences here. Did a few missions last night, which helped with the feelings of accomplishment but also gives you scripted event fatigue. It is almost like playing Uncharted at times!

This annoyed me: Went to rob a house with the Irish guy. He screams "There's more coming out of the woods!" so I shoot a guy I see. "You shot the last one...can't find the hidden treasure." Bah! Is there any way to restart a mission during it? Not sure this counts as a mission, though.
                        Some of the earlier missions had checkpoints, but I could neither save nor reload from the checkpoint on the mission I was on last night, hence the five minute jaunt to the base every time.

The only time I could restart from the base was when I set fire to the NPC.

Don't think bad of me, but I needed a wee (IRL) so I activated cinematic mode and wandered into the loo with my wireless headphones on holding X on the pad in one hand and my schlong in the other. I had to put the pad down to wash and zip up, but it meant I could multitask getting through most of the unskippable intro for the fifth time.

Comment

Yep, Dutch is a prick but it's the Irish tit that really pisses me off.

I'm glad he got his head blown off. ****ing annoying prick

Comment

Lenny!

Ha ha ha, I laughed aloud at that mission!

Comment

Spoiler:

Shipwrecked was a very strange investment in developer time! It was like Uncharted had an open world level, so RDR2 needed a liner story level?!? Not very good and felt quite a chore.

Comment

I think I found a time traveller from the 1950s!

He was really jazzed.

Comment

Working...
                                X