No announcement yet.

Red Dead Redemption II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't encountered that level of specificity outside that first mission at the beginning of the game but i'm sure there will be other examples.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's just in the hand-holding earlier sections.
      You can use cover anywhere after that.

I encountered my first O'Driscoll boys and only their accent betrayed they were bad 'uns.
      They told me to walk away but I bumped one and it all went south. They were my first kills outside of missions and it told me to stash the bodies, so I lugged them away from the main road and chucked them off a cliff.

Later on, I heard a bunch of O'D guys hassling somebody for cash in the town of Valentine.
      Now, at this point, I'd tried deviating from a mission and the law get upset quickly, so I didn't want to go in guns blazing, but by the time I'd reached them, they'd shot him and said "He ain't got nuthin' to pay now!"

I was gutted I'd not managed to save somebody, but didn't want to risk alerting the law.

Comment

Reading some tips on VG247, but they want me to turn my adblock off and agree to cookies, so here's the tips ripped from their HTML

They're not plot-related, only game unlocks, but out of courtesy, I've hidden them.

"Get your Red Dead Redemption 2 tips. Get your spicy, hot Red Dead Redemption 2 tips right here.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a huge game stuffed with a tonne of new systems to get your head around, quests to complete, and mechanics to play around with, over multiple chapters.
        Some of it is obvious, and some of it isn’t so straightforward. If you want to end up with the most money, a living horse, a Legendary bear pelt and the tools to deal with any situation, here are some spoiler-free tips to help you out.

Always carry at least one horse revival kit
        If you don’t want to be forced to mercy kill your mare, you should always make sure you’re carrying a horse revival kit with you. These can be bought in any general store.
        If your horse gets injured, you have a limited time to bring it back around with a horse revival kit as it lays on the floor, bleeding out. If you don’t use one of these kits, your horse will be gone forever, along with the bonding level you’ve built up with your steed.

Upgrade Dutch's lodgings as soon as possible
        In your camp, head to the ledger besides the cash box and use it to upgrade Dutch’s lodgings. It’ll cost you $220.
        Doing this inspires the rest of your gang members to contribute more, taking some of the pressure off you. This means you have more time to take part in other activities, such as ripping off a rabbit’s arse. Upgrading the camp also improves your Honor Rank.

*Get the map for fast travel *
        Once you’ve upgraded Dutch’s lodgings, you will unlock a new upgrade: a map. This map costs $325, but it allows you to fast travel from camp.
        There’s a lot of travelling in Red Dead Redemption 2, so this should ease your load a little; though you do still have to travel into camp to fast travel. Or you could use a stagecoach, for a price. But anything that makes travelling across Red Dead Redemption 2's huge map is welcome.

Up on d-pad while aiming is a versatile tool
        If you tap up on the d-pad while aiming, Arthur will aim into the air. Tap the right trigger and you’ll fire off a warning shot.
        This can be used to intimidate NPCs, scare off wildlife, and to be a general nuisance. Do with it what you will.

Get through a portion of the story to unlock a fence and extra holster
        If you’re looking to pawn off stolen goods, you’ll need to get through the story a bit first. Power through and eventually you will unlock a fence, where you can sell illicit gains.
        You also need to get through the story to unlock an extra holster. This opens up dual wielding. Trust me when I say this: put a sawn-off shotgun in one hand and a revolver in the other.

Don’t sell your jewellery
        So, you’ve unlocked the fence and you’re ready to make some cash. Before you do, consider this: don’t.
        The fence can also craft talismans – special pieces of equipment that unlock permanent buffs. Most of these require jewellery and a legendary animal part. Make sure you check the list before you sell off all your trinkets.

Left on the d-pad switches shoulder while aiming
        Unless I somehow missed it, the game doesn’t tell you this at any point. If you take aim and tap left on the d-pad, you will switch shoulders. Obviously, this is handy when you’re clearing out interiors especially.

Go for three star kills in hunts
        So, you want that perfect pelt? Not only do you have to use the right ammo to bag perfect hunting kills, but you also need to make sure the animal is top quality.
        Before you go for a kill shot, zoom in on prey with your binoculars. If they have a three-star rating, you will get a perfect pelt from them, so long as you use the right ammo and aim for kill shots.

Choose toggle to run in the options
        There's only so much tapping X/A we can manage. Red Dead Redemption 2 expects you to exert yourself to make Arthur run, but there's a toggle in the options that you should definitely switch on. Toggle to run changes it so you only have to press it once to break into a run. It will change your life.

Comment

I was wondering about being able to switch stances when aiming weapons, would of come in handy in a few building shoot outs i've had already.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            I was wondering about being able to switch stances when aiming weapons, would have come in handy in a few building shoot outs i've had already.
            Left Dpad to change arms at least

Comment

Re the tip to:

Upgrade Dutch's lodgings as soon as possible

I did this and still people are only contributing cents to the pot. It literally made no difference. However, I just made about 15 grand robbing a bank.

Another story issue though.

I saw someone

being held captive in the basement of a gunsmith

. Totally unable to interact with them at all, or the bloke looking on. Fast forward a few hours gametime and now it's ready for me to do that mission and I'm able to talk to them. Very easy to break the story mode of this game. Still an incredible achievement but the cracks are showing. I also have a stash of food cans floating in space back at my camp.

Reached the end of a small mission last night, chatting to some bloke in a tent and it goes into cinematic mode... and then my horse just wanders into the scene and stands there while the bloke is behind it talking to me. Then the guy crouches down and now he's underneath my horse with his head poking out the horse's stomach. Was quite amusing. Very Bethesdaish

Comment

I told myself that I would go to bed earlier to after watching the Taskmaster finale with the missus, I "popped" onto RDR2 for a bit.

Played a massive chunk and killed my first legendary animal.
                The O'Driscoll boys turned up, killed me and I lost my legendary pelt.
                I had to reload the whole thing and do it again.
                Got the map with the other locations, but riding around (near the people building the railroad) it said one was near, so I set off looking for the Legendary Beaver (fnarr fnarr).

Killed it and took the skin to the trapper but couldn't take the skin off the horse. At all.
                Decided to call it quits, thinking it was nice and early to bed.

12:40

Tit.

Comment

Brad you can now

Rob the gunsmith without consequence

I just started Chapter 4. The end of Chapter 3 will go down as real highlight of story gameplay. What a ride!

Chapter 4:

What an incredible contrast in a city! I had no idea the map would be at this scale! Blown away. Loved the theatre trip (To get my cut) too

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I told myself that I would go to bed earlier to after watching the Taskmaster finale with the missus, I "popped" onto RDR2 for a bit.

Played a massive chunk and killed my first legendary animal.
                    The O'Driscoll boys turned up, killed me and I lost my legendary pelt.
                    I had to reload the whole thing and do it again.
                    Got the map with the other locations, but riding around (near the people building the railroad) it said one was near, so I set off looking for the Legendary Beaver (fnarr fnarr).

Killed it and took the skin to the trapper but couldn't take the skin off the horse. At all.
                    Decided to call it quits, thinking it was nice and early to bed.

12:40

Tit.

QC, I did read somewhere the legendary pelts end up back at camp in the event you loose them on your way after skinning the animal.

Comment

I did read that, thanks, but I was happy to replay the mission.

Comment

I found my first animal (bear) by accident. I took the longest safest route i could and avoided absolutely anything and everyone as i didn't want to loose it.

Comment

Comimg to the end of chapter 3 and loving it.So much to do and uncover.Looks superb and Saint Denis in the night time

Comment

Look how ridiculously detailed some of the lives of the NPCs are!

Comment

This game is more Westworld than Red Dead prequel. It’s honestly just crazy the detail of this clockwork going around all on its own with zero input from players.

Comment

Mission last night had me using right trigger to pour something. Once I’d poured enough it told me as much and in the same millisecond changed the action of right trigger back to shoot gun. You can guess what happened. Mission failed...

Comment

Working...
                                X