Red Dead Redemption II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Yeah, I'm mega late to the party. It's only taken me until chapter 2 to go full on Westworld and ignore the story, enjoying it though!
    This is Colin? Enjoying a modern AAA game ...

LOL

Comment

There's usually about one a year to be fair.

Comment

The absolute worst at will power. Despite my misgivings about the game I caved in the worst way and bought the PC version last night, took an hour or so to download the whopping 130GB file and it looks like we have... another GTA4 situation. Didn't get past half the Rockstar logo CG, I'm apparently not alone and the game is an utter mess of bugs and issues currently with many waiting for R* to put out fixes that should never have been required.

Comment

2-3GB of updates last night on PC and I can confirm there has been a performance improvement.

It now runs an extra second worth of the Rockstar logo CG sequence on start up before black screen crashing. Utterly despicable to first nickel and dime by making PC users wait an extra 13 months for the game and then deliver such a poor product.

Comment

Console comes first for Rockstar as thats where the money is. PS4 & Xbone version runs just fine, could of played it over a year ago.

Comment

I did

Another set of updates and Rockstar have managed to get the game to load an extra second of the company logo screen. I can't recall the last game launch that was this poor

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                I can't recall the last game launch that was this poor
                PC Arkham Knight? PC Fallout 76?

Comment

Funnily enough, no. Both were a tad ropey but it was more glitches. You could still play the games like with Arkham Knight it was more about missing effects and performance issues for a new release. With RDRII this is a completed game that they had 13 months to port to PC, bearing in mind how similar consoles are to PC's these days, and they've messed it up on a staggering scale. It literally doesn't run for a big number of players and for those who've managed to get it running via a myriad of methods it then has a whole armada of issues.

One amusing thing is some people thinking it's good they are waiting for the Steam version, might not be good though as it seems obvious Steam will just overlay over the poor Rockstar launcher. This seems to be a classic example of why everyone and their mum needs to stop launching bespoke launchers.

Comment

I don't really know what to say, Supes.

RDRII took up 100% of my gaming time for months. I loved the exploration and side quests and loved the story once I got on to it.

You've played it on console and it didn't click. I don't see how playing it on PC will make it a better experience, unless you like spending your time tweaking grass resolution settings for 8 hours, rather than actually playing it.

I played it on a PS4 Pro, so it looks better than standard but worse than a maximised PC, and I found myself regularly stopped in my tracks by how beautiful the game looked. Light streaming through a window, the sun rising and bathing everything in orange, looking down on a valley and watching shafts of sunlight breaking through the clouds and lighting the land below, bolts of lightning streaking down, the blue hue of a night time desert, a pack of wolves teaming up to fight a bear, an eagle swooping down and catching a fish.

I've said it before, your pie-eating-contest style of gaming is impressive, but sometimes, you just need to let a game take its time and get in your veins.

Comment

I won't lie, there's an element of it being daft I've picked it up again but I think I was swung by the idea of it being a bit of a background game to pick at and by all accounts - once it's actually running - the game is vastly better to play on PC because the 60fps gameplay removes a lot of the feel of sluggish, over animated movement to combat and player actions. I've seen video and screens from those who've managed to get it running to pace at least for a while (apparently Chapter II and III really start to cripple it but Chapter I has resulted in some great imagery) and it's comfortably superior looking to the console versions too so I got launch day suckered in a little. I didn't anticipate three nights of playing with BIOS update research, Admin rights and file verifications... not unless this is a new DLC mission

Comment

Absolutely insane amount of fixes and time spent on this now to get anywhere with it. Eventually I stumbled across a site listing around 20 potential fixes to all manner of issues, after the 12th or so the game finally started to sputter into life. Got to the settings screen but then more issues. An hour later I got it back and though far from fixed... it's running. Digital Foundry posted settings that closest match the XBox One X version that seemed a good base point because it turns out that the XBX runs the game mostly at low or even lower than that settings. I've opted for 1440p for now given the extensive issues people have given and that I need to be mindful that Chapter II hits performance much more than Chapter I. So far though, without tweaking, I'm getting steady 50-60fps so tweaking would fix that in this opening part. It's much smoother to play than on console. Main issue is that if I disable HDR the game stops working again but with it the image is less than it should be, colours washed out somewhat but a small price to pay for having it running. I'll do more testing once Chapter I starts wrapping up.

Comment

The one thing ruining this experience for me is when I try to be the good guy.

The physics are so bloody sensitive! Slight nudge - "wanted!" - really annoying...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                            The one thing ruining this experience for me is when I try to be the good guy.

The physics are so bloody sensitive! Slight nudge - "wanted!" - really annoying...
                            Yeah, that definitely wound me up at the start. Getting off your horse the wrong side onto an NPC or your autopilot horse hits a cart.

Worst was going to do a bounty mission and the sheriff was glitched through a bench. He stood up to talk when I triggered the mission but appeared where I was standing, thought I was pushing him, so I ended up wanted and having to leg it out of town.
                            I then got tracked by bounty hunters when I was camping!

I either didn't notice it later on, you learn to avoid it better or it calms down.
                            [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION], have you heard about the gold dupe glitch?
                            I did it and had no regrets not having to faff around earning money for the rest of the game.

Comment

Can't believe this game is marching toward being 4 years old already.

I've played it in short stints between the PC and PS4 versions over the years and it's currently what's clogging up my playtime again. I've never really gone far in the PC version as when I play it I tend to spend most of my time soaking in the 4K 60fps maxed out gloriousness of the visuals as it remains an absolute tour de force to look at. I kind of wander and pick up the side stuff more too so at that pace I'd likely spend most of my life completing that version. By comparison the PS4 version has been used to blast through missions, an encore journey and I'm currently working through Epilogue 2 on that version.

The game is definitely bloated to hell, its missions don't often mix up from the long horse rides and occasional short gunfight set up which really highlights how much more limited RDR is compared to GTA. When they come around to making RDR3 it would probably be best to set it during the real death of the West a few years later to allow for some cars, planes etc to mix things up to a limited degree.

The epilogue though, I'd forgotten how fumbled it was. I suspect they saw it as expanding on the post-game mission chain Trevor has in GTA5 but it's very much like taking all the mundane excesses of the game and condensing them into a mini-campaign for John. The game really shouldn't have scaled back so aggressively after Arthur given how slow paced it already is. I think after 4 years every issue I have with RDR2 still stands but its appeal remains regardless because it is still the only Rockstar game post-GTA5 the generation before and is still gorgeous and unique.

Comment

I just want a 60fps update and ill go through this again.

Comment

Working...
                                X