Castlevania Requiem: Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castlevania Requiem: Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night PS4

Symphony of the Night sits comfortably in my top 10 or even top 5 video games ever, so I was excited to see this coming out. I'd happily go through this again, picking up some trophies along the way. Plus, I get to play Rondo of Blood too. Which is ace, but bloody solid!

I've got to say though, Konami have disrespected me, my family and these great games with this release. It should have been more. SOTN deserves to be celebrated just as much as Capcom go about celebrating their awesome game series. Okay maybe it didn't need to be anything more than just having these games available again as they may have been missed out by some gamers of today.

Some galleries, 'making of' content (maybe difficult now that Igarashi has moved on), challenges and possibly more imaginative love. Instead we get some standard display options (one bizarre Interlace mode option!) and trophies. Oh and we have the pointless (in my opinion) PSP port of the game. The port is fine but they rerecorded the voices and changed some of the "legendary" dialogue.

The games are fine though. Can't argue with them. I'm happily playing through Symphony again whilst Arthur Morgan waits patiently at camp.

If you've never played SOTN, I command you to do so... Its a masterpiece.

Anyone playing this? What are your thoughts?

I had it at launch.Love the series but agree with the voice overs.I can play through Symphony without getting bored.ROB is a bonus as I haven't played it since owning the PC Engine CD ROM.As you stated, presentation should have been top notch but wasn't the case.
    They still play brilliant so it was a must buy for me
    Did you find the soundtrack a bit on the quiet side?

Comment

I've heard reports of input lag, missing pixels along the bottom part of the screen, bad audio quality. Hoping it's not true, or gets fixed as I've picked this up. Noone seems to be talking about it though? Where's DigitalFoundry!

Comment

Can't say I've noticed these issues. I haven't played with the sound up too loud though.

I wouldn't mind getting DF involved though as I'm sure I've witnessed input lag, but it could be my crapness in tight situations and the fact you mentioned this.

Comment

Still playing this a bit each evening. So good. It's not difficult, but it can be tricky trying to remember where you might need to venture back to once you have a new power. I'm even coming across areas I must have missed first time around. I'm going to try and go for this 200.6% completion. Whatever that means. I'm currently at 92% completion. Need a few more items before I go see Richter.

One thing I've noticed, that on videos I've seen of this, there seems to be a way to get dmg numbers pop up on enemy hits, but I can't seem to find an item that enables this. Was it a collectable or a shop item? I can't figure it out.

Comment

If they were to do a Switch version, I'd probably buy SotN. I've never finished it (I've only played a little of it), though I loved Dawn of Sorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              I've heard reports of input lag, missing pixels along the bottom part of the screen, bad audio quality. Hoping it's not true, or gets fixed as I've picked this up. Noone seems to be talking about it though? Where's DigitalFoundry!
              Not Digital Foundry, but a very well produced video that covers all versions of symphony and Rondo right up to Requiem...

Comment

Nice one [MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION], eased a lot of fears about playing it. Really looking forward to playing Rondo especially, haven't played it before.

Looks like John Linneman had a hand in making that video according to the credits, so it might aswell be DF

Comment

Actually quite surprised at how thorough that video is; nice!

I've been playing this a fair bit - I've been nagging a friend to play Symphony for years who, when they did, struggled with the exploration side of things and dropped it. This was a nice opportunity to stream me playing through it for them and at least letting them see it in full. I'd noticed a few little graphical quirks, but it's still a great way to play it. As an aside - everyone always mentions the change in voice over for the PSP/PS4 version, but never the loss of "I am the Wind"! Don't mind me, I'll be over here, pouring one out for that sax solo...

I've got Rondo to 100% completion now, and it's just a case of farming money to buy the Duplicator in Symphony to get a platinum on this. I love replaying these games and will gladly throw money at both again and do it all over again come Playstation 5, Xbox whatever, etc...

Comment

I did you finsd the difficulty on Rondo? I've only scratched the surface and got rinsed by some boss. Second boss I think.

What does the duplicator do and jeez, seems like it gonna be a deep grind to get it.
                    Last edited by hudson; 09-11-2018, 10:01.

Comment

I just realised, I actually have the PS1 version of this via PSN for PS3.

Anyone who has watched that entire video above; how does that measure up?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        I did you finsd the difficulty on Rondo? I've only scratched the surface and got rinsed by some boss. Second boss I think.

What does the duplicator do and jeez, seems like it gonna be a deep grind to get it.
                        It's an adjustment from modern games for sure, but I don't think it's that bad - don't be afraid to retry things and you'll soon get it all down. I'd finished the PCE version years ago, mind, so a lot of it was just defamiliarising myself.

Duplicator is exactly that; allows you to duplicate single-use items - and it's just a case of finding a good spot to run in, grab the cash, run back off, back in, grab the cash etc. A little bit of a tedious end but shouldn't take too long.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I just realised, I actually have the PS1 version of this via PSN for PS3.

Anyone who has watched that entire video above; how does that measure up?
                        It's ok! I think the general consensus of the video is that there really isn't a bad way to play - they've all got some inaccuracies, but nothing particularly game-breaking.

Comment

What? So you can duplicate money bags?

@Asura To be honest, I played the PSN PS1 & PSP versions and I didn't find anything wrong with them. I think the weakest post in the end was the Saturn version with its slowdown and double pixelling. I think it was okay on Xbox Live too, but it apparently has substantial input lag. Can't say I noticed lol.

I think Requiem at 15 quid is a great package really. Rondo is a quality game from what I've played so far.

Comment

Wow, I'm struggling with Rondo. 30 mins each it will have to be.

Made me laugh when I went back to the title screen to quit the game and when you press to quit the game emits what sounds like a massive long fart. Basically mocking me that I've shat myself.

Comment

Read up on how to unlock Maria, and maybe try with her instead? She makes most levels quite a bit easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X