Websites not working - WEIRD PROBLEM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Websites not working - WEIRD PROBLEM!

This is difficult to articulate, since it's quite strange. But various aspects of different websites refuse to work. Three examples:

1) GOG website, I am logged in, I click to favourite a game, and the log-in box pops up asking me to log-in again. I do so and it crashes back to the homepage without favouriting the game I want. I try again, process repeats. The favourite button and check-out buttons refuse to work. It keeps asking me to log-in despite my being logged in, and my username at the top of the screen.

2) Barclays Bank - I go through their whole convoluted log-in process, only to hit the final button and for it to crash back to the main page, with one of several error codes. For whatever reason, my computer and the Barclays website refuse to co-operate.

3) UK government websites pertaining to your driving license. I wanted to check if I'd gotten a ticket, filled in my details, and it refused to move to the next screen, claiming it timed out. I had to use my bloody mobile phone to check this. This seems related to previous problems, because a lot of seems similar to time out issues. Anyway, no UK government website works on my laptop.

There are other websites where similar problems occur. Some interactive aspect of the website, be it the log-in box, or a specific button that does something, refuses to work. If I had to make a guess, I think it might be Java related? I don't even know if all these problems have the same root cause - bottom line is, my laptop seems to be ****ed!

Websites which mostly work OK: Bordersdown, eBay.co.uk, PayPal, Kickstarter, CreateSpace, Amazon, Google Translate, Netflix, MobyGames, Hotmail, several others.

I am running Firefox Quantum 63.0.1 (64-bit) on a Windows 7 laptop.

I tried disabling all Firefox add-ons, and running Forefox in safe mode. Same problem.

Barclays website gives instructions to clear the cache and cookies for these specific error codes. I've done this a hundred times, lost all my log-ins as a result, and the problem STILL persists. Wiping the cache does nothing.

I tried using Internet Explorer, which I never use for anything, same problem.

I tried disabling my firewall and real-time system protection, but the problem still persists.

The only solution to this is to use a different computer. Which I hate having to do. This laptop is my work horse, and it's what I take with me when travelling - I absolutely NEED it to work for these things.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Even where to start looking? So far I've concluded it can't be my browser or add-ons, because I disable them and have tried IE, same problem. And it can't be my firewall or system protection, because I disabled those too. It seems to be something in the guts of the Operating System. Could it be Java? I always update it and the problem does not occur on other computers.

How do I even find out what this problem is?
    Last edited by Sketcz; 04-11-2018, 09:49.

IE might no longer be supported by those websites, especially if it's not the latest version. You sure you don't have plug-ins like Adblock or NoScript running in FF that might block unknown domains? Depending on your AV/firewall you might have some plug-ins installed into your browser that might block certain functions due to lack of HTTPS or grey/black listed domains.
    You can try uninstalling/reinstalling FF or use Chrome to double check if it's the underlying OS (maybe Windows Firewall kicked in the moment you disabled the 3rd party programs).
    Java is a factor only when visiting websites using Java, and usually an old version doesn't result in big problems, unless the version installed is a massively outdated one.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      Ideas
      I've just installed Chrome, and when the ESET pop-up asked about allowing it, I gave Chrome full permissions.

Same problems as listed in the OP. Several websites not working.

I am 100% convinced this is absolutely not a browser issue.

What else could it be?

My Windows Firewall screen says that its settings are being managed by ESET. So presumably disabled?

What could it be??!

Comment

Then check ESET settings and whether or not it has installed plug-ins in browsers to check outgoing traffic. From what you've described scripts and/or domains aren't properly executed/resolved, so there's something blocking them.
        Try adding exceptions to the firewall for browsers in ESET.
        Is the other computer of a similar software configuration? Same version of ESET and whatever? Have you tried connecting the laptop to a wired connection if it's on wireless? Or with a different wireless connection?

Comment

Is the other computer of a similar software configuration? Same version of ESET and whatever? Have you tried connecting the laptop to a wired connection if it's on wireless? Or with a different wireless connection?
          Good questions. The other computers (3 altogether) all run ESET from the same subscription of ESET. All of them are run on a wired connection from the same internet account, unless I am travelling with the laptop. All of them are Windows 7.

The only slight difference is that on my laptop I set it to manual, so I could grant permission on a case by case basis, while the other 2 computers are set to auto.

It might be ESET... But surely when I disabled ESET entirely this would have fixed the problem?

Then check ESET settings and whether or not it has installed plug-ins in browsers to check outgoing traffic
          I don't quite understand this. Are you saying that ESET could have installed plug-ins to my browser, as in it put them right into the browser, and this is blocking traffic? Would these plug-ins be visible from a list accessible from within the browser? Or would I need to find this plug-in list from within ESET itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
            I don't quite understand this. Are you saying that ESET could have installed plug-ins to my browser, as in it put them right into the browser, and this is blocking traffic? Would these plug-ins be visible from a list accessible from within the browser? Or would I need to find this plug-in list from within ESET itself?
            In the browser, under the plug-in list. Both Kaspersky and BitDefender do this, I wouldn't be surprised if ESET did the same for anti-phising links, sandboxed online banking, and similar stuff. FF usually asks if you want to install/enabe such plug-ins, but I've never run ESET before.

Comment

If you have insane privacy settings that disallow javascript and that kind of thing you'll find most websites will not work properly

Comment

Do the sites work in an incognito window? If so, you need to clear your cookies (not cache)

Comment

In the browser, under the plug-in list. Both Kaspersky and BitDefender do this, I wouldn't be surprised if ESET did the same for anti-phising links, sandboxed online banking, and similar stuff. FF usually asks if you want to install/enabe such plug-ins, but I've never run ESET before.
                  Found the list. There's only 3 plugins shown in FF, 2 for video playback and one for ShockWave Flash or something. Fiddled with the flash settings just in case, but no change.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Do the sites work in an incognito window? If so, you need to clear your cookies (not cache)
                  Tried that, and it had no effect. I also used CCleaner to basically wipe everything in FF (cookies, cache, preferences, log-ins, etc.).

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  If you have insane privacy settings that disallow javascript and that kind of thing you'll find most websites will not work properly
                  Privacy settings on ESET?

I genuinely do not think this could possibly be related to ESET. I shut ESET down completely, allowing all traffic and disabling all protections for 10 minutes. Then I reset Firefox, and no change.

Would reinstalling something help? I don't feel like reinstalling Firefox, because it took me ages to reconfigure its UI layout to my liking, and both Chrome and IE have the same problem, but is there something in my OS which could be reinstalled?

Is this an ESET problem, a browser problem, or a problem related to something else?

When I go to the Java website to download a newer version, this comes up:
                  We have detected you are using the 64-bit version of Firefox which will not run the Java plugin from this browser. More info
                  EDIT:

So I just removed ESET entirely. Then I disabled the Windows firewall. And I went into the Windows Internet settings via the Control Panel. And disabled everything.

I also updated java.

Nothing. The same problem still. This is driving me insane! I also then had to reinstall ESET, having lost all my settings and rules which I'd finely crafted over the last 5 years.

My laptop is ****ed, isn't it? This is not a browser, firewall, or java issue. The whole thing just seems to be borked.

I can't understand it. Even with ZERO security the websites are still not working. I've basically been using GOG.com as a resting ground, to see if the favourite button starts working again. But nope. Nothing.

Any ideas on potential solutions, short of an entire system reinstall?

Is there perhaps an errant piece of software running in the background? A virus maybe? Or something like Steam or another online client software that is somehow disrupting things?
                  Last edited by Sketcz; 05-11-2018, 09:21.

Comment

Does your phone work on WiFi to those sites? (same network)
                    Try installing waterfox. Same thing as Firefox basically and see if it works there

Comment

Does your phone work on WiFi to those sites? (same network)

Try installing waterfox. Same thing as Firefox basically and see if it works there
                      I use my mobile data on my phone to access them. Besides, the other computers which do work all use the same wired connection. I had thought it might be a router or ISP problem, but only my laptop has issues. My laptop had the same issues when using a friend's net connection, both wired and wireless.

Will try Waterfox now.

EDIT:

Exact same problem with Waterfox. I'm convinced this is not a browser, cache, or cookie problem. Firefox, Chrome, Oprah, Internet Explorer, and Waterfox all produce the same errors in exactly the same way on my laptop.

Whatever is causing these browsers to fail in their behaviour, it is outside of the browser.

Is there perhaps some kind of weird setting in the Control Panel that I'm overlooking?
                      Last edited by Sketcz; 05-11-2018, 11:39.

Comment

Try a vpn like windscribe (normally a browser extension) to bypass everything.

Comment

Try a vpn like windscribe (normally a browser extension) to bypass everything.
                          Ooh, this is a fun little program. Cheers for the rec.

But sadly no, even after installing, and signing up, and fiddling with the settings on the websites in question, it didn't make any different to the problem.

I don't think this is due to my internet connection. My brother suggested it's something wrong with how my laptop handles dynamic javascript, since that's what the Barclays website uses.

So assuming it's not my browser, internet connection, or firewall, could it be related to Windows 7 itself or one of its components? I recall screwing around with the automatic updater to try to force it not to download Windows 10. But I can't remember the specifics. What software bits on a computer deal with the dynamic javascript of websites?

EDIT:

I also went into my java control panel and wiped the cache and changed "use browser settings" to direct connection. Still no change to the problem though...

I'm just randomly browsing my files and settings here. Could it be related to the MS .NET Framework components which were installed? XNA Framework? Some other software? Is there perhaps a log which I can access and paste here? Something describing the installed components?

Maybe I accidentally screwed up a registry key using Cache Cleaner at some point in the past?
                          Last edited by Sketcz; 05-11-2018, 14:46.

Comment

Back up all your stuff. Wipe machine. Install win 10 (which is now excellent).

Comment

It's... excellent? I dunno. People on my FB feed complain about it daily. Excessive long updates, software not functioning, file associations vanishing...

For reference, this is the error code that Barclays throws up:
                              6 -
                              Sorry, we're having difficulties with your request. Please call us on 0345 600 2323 (from outside the UK, +44 247 684 2063) and quote error code 6. Lines are open 24 hours a day, every day. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls.
                              Their website also has a page dedicated to it:

Sadly their solution of clearing the cache does nothing. Godamned computers. Anyway, the thought of reinstalling the terrabyte of crap on here is enough to make me puke. I might just buy another laptop purely for internet use. The few hundred quid would be worth it to avoid a full wipe.

Also, if anyone does work out the problem and their solution fixes it, I will wire you £20 via PayPal.

Comment

Working...
                              X